Ok so for Christmas I'm thinking about chipping in with my family members to buy a new guitar. The washburn I'm using doesn't have the tone I'm looking for, and it's not electric. The local guitar shop by my house just started their holiday sales and there are two takamines that really caught my eyes and ears. The owner told me that Takamine is the #1 selling acoustic electric guitars, right or not, these two guitars sounded really nice.

Takamine EG416S-VS

EG 444-VB
(not sure why this one isn't on the Tak site...)

Both guitars come with a case. The first one is $365, and the second is $500.
I played them both today and they both sound fantastic. I personally loved the first guitar, it's gorgeous and the sound was incredible compared to what I'm using now and it sounded the same plugged in. I'm only a bit leery that it doesn't have a cutaway, and it's a parlor guitar. For being small, it sounded very very big. However I'm 6'7" and I don't want it to seem like i'm holding a child's guitar, even though it was comfortable in my arms. Also in terms of the cutaway, i'm still developing my style, and i'm not really sure how much i would need it anyway.
The second guitar also sound great, it had a bit deeper tone I think. Also comfortable, sounded great plugged in and had the cutaway. It's more expensive which i don't really care for but it's also a really pretty guitar and it felt good playing it.

Can someone weigh in and give me some advice? Does anyone have any experience with Taks or parlor guitars? Thanks!
I have this tak and I love it to bits.

Don't have any experience with those two though.
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
take whichever one feels best in your hands
---
Breedlove AJ250SF Plus
Shecter C1 w/pearly gates
Alvarez RD210C
(2) 60's-70's Unknown Acoustic
going solely off what feels best i'd probably pick the parlor guitar. Anyone else have any advice?
I'd say go with which you feel best with. I've also been wanting to buy a new acoustic lately although I can't decide between cutaway or no cutaway. Ask yourself this:
How often are you actually going to be playing up on the higher fret on your acoustic?

Some acoustics with cutaways tend to have a thinner sound whereas a ful size natural will give you a full strong sound. Not all guitars are like this though and I haven't played on either of those guitars. They both seem pretty awesome!
I've personally played the first one and have to say it was a VERY nice guitar for the money, compared to another guitar I was considering which was a lot more, (about £200 more I think).

But as a guy above me said, try both, then you'll know which to go for
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
sorry to bring this thread back to life, but i'm wondering if someone can answer a question for me.

What exactly is a flame maple top? Is that a solid wood top? I was super close to buying the guitar today and I wanted to figure out what a flame maple top is first, and if it's not a solid top, if it's better than laminate. Thanks!
no, a flame maple top would be a laminate top. maple isn't the right kind of wood to be a good top. here are all the topwoods sold at luthiers' mercantile - no maples there http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/Secondproducthead.asp?CategoryName=++Tops+-+Tonewood
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
well shit, now i'm back to the drawing board. I was gonna buy the EG 444 tomorrow but now i'm not so sure. Originally I was going to purchase the parlor guitar (the first link) but now i'm not sure if it's full and deep enough, despite having better wood. So today at the local music shop i started flirting more with the idea of buying the EG 444. The EG 444 is being sold for 500 with a hard case, the parlor for 365 with a nylon case.

Then I found this guy at music center by my parents house and it sounded great. I did a search online and found it on ebay for the same price they were selling it in the store. I'm not crazy about the black, and no cutaway...but it sounded great. Advice please, I've got to scratch this itch!

woops, forgot the link!
Yamaha LLX6A
Last edited by BoyLilikoi at Nov 28, 2011,
Quote by patticake
no, a flame maple top would be a laminate top. maple isn't the right kind of wood to be a good top. here are all the topwoods sold at luthiers' mercantile - no maples there http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/Secondproducthead.asp?CategoryName=++Tops+-+Tonewood

Thanks for the link, thats helpful!

My mistake though, the EG 444 actually has a flamed Mahogany top. I do see mahogany on that list, I assume this is better then? Would that be a solid top then?
as far as i know, the EG-444C is all laminate including the top. since that means only a thin veneer of the wood is mahogany, and the rest is probably a cheaper wood - and probably the same wood as any other tak lam top gutiar - it probably is no better. but if you played it and liked it, does that matter?

i'd go for the yamaha over the taks, but then i love englemann spruce and especially prefer the wider nut. the tak new yorker (the smaller guitar) is a pretty good sounding guitar, and comfortable, but while a couple i played sounded really good, the rest had that slight lack of clarity that's common to some brands' laminate back and side or all lam models. i definitely heard some of that in the EG-444C, as well. that being said, the new yorker IS a good guitar, and if you liked it, you might be over-thinking this whole thing.

out of curiosity, any reason why you're mostly looking at taks?

if you can go up a bit, this all solid epi masterbilt acoustic electric might suit you if you're looking for deeper tone plus you can probably get some money off for a holiday discount to get it closer to what you want to pay
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Masterbilt-DR-500MCE-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105810394-i1515774.gc

another to try in person that has a cutaway, nice lows, is similar in price to the ones you're looking at would be a martin x series.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-X-Series-DX1AE-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105927073-i1535406.gc

also recommend blueridge - one of my favorite brands, and this solid top sounds good in person, with some of that martin lower end
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/blueridge_br_40ce/52948/53455
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Nov 28, 2011,
well two reasons I suppose. First and foremost being the two guitar shops in my immediate area sell a lot of them. More taks than anything else, at least that are in my price range (really can't go over 500 with a case). The second reason is the salesman told me they have really great customer service and warranty...not sure if it's true or not though as i don't own one.

Over thanksgiving break I went to a Guitar Center and Music Center near Chicago and played around on a lot of stuff. I liked the Yamaha at music center, but didn't find anything too much to my like in my price range at guitar center....plus it doesn't help any when there are 10 guys in there tearing it up and i'm trying to not be embarrassed with own ability. I'm really leery to pull the trigger on something as this will be my primary guitar for years to come.
well, if you loved one of the taks, there ya go. otherwise, i suggest you head on back to gc at a quieter time, or find a quieter spot. often there's a classical room you can be private in, and close the door so no one else can year you and you can't hear them, either. otherwise perhaps the sales guy can find you a quieter spot.

Quote by BoyLilikoi
well two reasons I suppose. First and foremost being the two guitar shops in my immediate area sell a lot of them. More taks than anything else, at least that are in my price range (really can't go over 500 with a case). The second reason is the salesman told me they have really great customer service and warranty...not sure if it's true or not though as i don't own one.

Over thanksgiving break I went to a Guitar Center and Music Center near Chicago and played around on a lot of stuff. I liked the Yamaha at music center, but didn't find anything too much to my like in my price range at guitar center....plus it doesn't help any when there are 10 guys in there tearing it up and i'm trying to not be embarrassed with own ability. I'm really leery to pull the trigger on something as this will be my primary guitar for years to come.
Quote by Skeet UK