Page 1 of 4
Well guys im very excited to say that this is my second build
this build is really just an experiment to see how thin i can make a guitar.

Welcome to: Project LP

lol
specs? specs!

Body: Poplar
Neck: i accually wont be making the neck unless its comin out very well. i will be using a squier fender neck
the rest will come as i build.
updates will be posted but not that frequently im sorry to say. i can only use the tools every so often

Enjoy!
here is my very nice template

Here i have the boards together:

scraping the glue off:

and tracing the template

hard to see the line
k since nobody seems to be watching, ill just talk to myself.

well im goingto add a new peace of wood on top because its too thin

updates soon!
UPDATES!!

well i just cut the body out. . . . . at least half of it
a little:

a little more:

DONE!!

should i frame this and wait until im famouse and sell it.

ive got a little "neatning up" to do so wait. . . . and see!!!
Holy crap that really is thin. Given that a normal strat neck needs to be set in around 20mm, and that your wood is around 20mm thick, I could see some issues heading your way. I guess you've already got a plan though, so I'll be interested to see how you tackle it. All the best!
well i made a few changes to the plan so ill tell u wats up. im going to take my template and cut where the curve is supposed to be. then ill draw that on another blank and cut that out and glue it on top of the other peice. *breathing hard*

there.

updates will be posted soon. . . . . . . .hopfully. . .
Come on, if you're gonna sign it, at least do it in the neck pocket or somewhere out of the way...

I can't quite work out, is that two thin body blanks that you're stacking on top of each other?
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
I'm not sure this build will sound good through your current amp
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Definitely build of the year lol
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I'm not sure this build will sound good through your current amp

that still has nothing to do with it. i like my amp and i dont care if you dont. my first build sounded great through it but i guess ill see.

(above)

i doubt it. im still learning but who knows, this might come out better than i thought. ill update a little about electronics:

1 volume
1 tone
1 rotary switch

and the bridge is going to be a wraparound.

Quote by JCGGUITARS
that still has nothing to do with it. i like my amp and i dont care if you dont. my first build sounded great through it but i guess ill see.

(above)

i doubt it. im still learning but who knows, this might come out better than i thought. ill update a little about electronics:

1 volume
1 tone
1 rotary switch

and the bridge is going to be a wraparound.

It means the build isn't worth doing if it will sound bad.

But if you like that sound then I am not going to tell ya otherwise.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
what the ****

This.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Thanks for the support! Well as i said this is an experiment so im trying new things and i have a few questions.

1. i need a wiring diagram for wiring a rotary switch with 1 volume, 1 tone, and 2 humbuckers. i found some but they show the humbuckers with like 5 wires. the ones i have only have 2 so i need a diagram.

2. Im experamenting with sunbursts so im wondering what colors i should use out of these 4 : Vintage Amber, Cherry Red, Tobacco Brown, and Red Mahogany.
I want to try the Amber in the center and tobacco brown on the edge but what do you guys think. heres the link to them: Color Tone Tints

Thanks guys!!
I'm no expert by a long shot, but I'd assume Humbuckers with five wires would be coil tapped?

As for the colours you specified, I'd use Cherry Red or Tobacco Brown. Both together would be nice, I think the Amber is a little too yellow for my tastes.
IMO, the best opaque burst is a Silverburst. A silverburst LP is just sexy.

Seeing your wood, it hasn't got the best grain in the world, so I'd go for an opaque finish, even if you sunburst it.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
That's a starting price (starting bid). Usual price for that set is $25-$30. I have no experience with those pickups but at 30 bucks a set you're not losing a lot if they suck.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Have you already bought the switch? If not, I'd just go with a 3-way switch and the pups you already have, so you can save some cash. If you really want a rotary switch and are decent with a soldering iron, you can convert your pups to four-conductor fairly easily. Here's a picture tutorial.
Quote by JCGGUITARS
Thanks for the support! Well as i said this is an experiment so im trying new things and i have a few questions.

1. i need a wiring diagram for wiring a rotary switch with 1 volume, 1 tone, and 2 humbuckers. i found some but they show the humbuckers with like 5 wires. the ones i have only have 2 so i need a diagram.

2. Im experamenting with sunbursts so im wondering what colors i should use out of these 4 : Vintage Amber, Cherry Red, Tobacco Brown, and Red Mahogany.
I want to try the Amber in the center and tobacco brown on the edge but what do you guys think. heres the link to them: Color Tone Tints

Thanks guys!!

Do a tobacco burst. Tobacco bursts are sexy as hell.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Dark brown to amber in the middle *I think*. No red though.

Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
i don't think so, maybe get some quilted maple on top with the magohany body
but tobacco brown onto amber should looks great
k. i wont be able to do the maple this build.

i was wondering how i should do the arch:

1. buy a plane and do that
2. router the edge then sand it down
or
3. sand it down

yyyyyaaaa.

another thing, i might want to do a swirl instead of the sunburst. wat do u think??
If I were you, I'd use a router and sander. Not too sure a plane would be suitable for arching, although a small low angle block plane might come in handy (especially for the sides).

Just plain sanding will take a ridiculously long time. Even taking 2mm off a sheet of rosewood takes too long for just sandpaper, so sod doing a dirty great carve!

Routers, Chisels and Sandpaper is the way forward.

Take that with a grain of salt, I've never done an carved top before.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Last edited by Joeval at Nov 15, 2011,
Page 1 of 4