I have been playing on my new Egnater Tweaker 40 for about 3 weeks and i must say i'm loving the tones that come out of this thing. I am pretty close to my ideal tone, an Orange ish sound reminiscent of At The Drive-In. My intention is to eventually own an Orange AD30 and maybe run a stereo setup with my Tweaker, but that is a long way off. I'm wondering if a tube change would get me even closer to the sound i'm after.

So my questions:

What brands of tubes have what types of sounds? ie. JJ's sound like this or Sovtek's tend to sound that way.

Which tubes make a bigger difference in sound? Power or preamp?

Are there alternate tubes i can use and what do they accomplish? Like 12ax7 and 12at7.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute

Various Effects
Sounds good, but what do you mean by something nice? Sorry i haven't had any experience with the different brands yet.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects
Quote by voltafan485
I'm wondering if a tube change would get me even closer to the sound i'm after.

most likely not. but you can try out a few tubes and see if they help tighten you amp up a bit though. changing tubes is usually a fairly subtle thing, but good results can occur with tweaking.

Quote by voltafan485
So my questions:

What brands of tubes have what types of sounds? ie. JJ's sound like this or Sovtek's tend to sound that way.

many people think JJ's are darker sounding, i don't really buy into that as much. to me, tubes tend to change their characteristics when applied to different circuits at least as much as they have inherent characteristics.

you want to know what tube is best for your amp? i recommend getting a friend to help you double blind test some tubes and derive your favorite sounding tubes in an impartial manner.

Quote by voltafan485
Which tubes make a bigger difference in sound? Power or preamp?

power tubes are more likely to be kept in linear operating range, you'll notice much more tonal change when using tubes with less headroom. the differences in larger power tubes seems to be in the low end or mid response. changing a tube from brand to brand can be fairly dramatic, changing to another type of tube altogether is generally more dramatic.

preamp tubes can have a more dramatic effect on your tone than power tubes (from a after market modification standpoint). your 12ax7 tubes can be replaced by ECC83, ECC803, ECC81, ECC82, 12at-7, 12ay-7, 12au-7's, and 7025 tubes (just to name a few) as well as gold plated versions of these tubes. i'd recommend trying a ECC803 and a few brands of 12ax7's/7025'a/ECC83'a (those three are all the same tubes with different names). do your double blind with you friend plugging in variations of these tubes.

Quote by voltafan485
Are there alternate tubes i can use and what do they accomplish? Like 12ax7 and 12at7.

see above for replacement preamp tubes. for your power section your amp uses 6L6GC power tubes; these tubes can be replaced with 5881's or KT66's with some re-biasing of your power section.

edit: most tubes are made in china or eastern europe. i tend to prefer JJ tubes for many models of tubes. i have heard good things about wing C tubes, TAD tubes, and tung sol. older tubes are consider quite a bit better than newer tubes so brands like RCA, amperex, telefunken, mullard, genelex, golden lion, GE, sylvania, raytheon, magnavox, and brimar are considered very chase.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 9, 2011,
Thanks gumbilicious!
That clears up all my questions and the double blind idea is great.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects