I bought this new snare a little while back, played the one they had at the store and it sounded sooo clean and crisp.. Then I get mine, unassembled and I spend over an hour tuning it and it still sounds like crap

I got it to sound somewhat decent eventually, but not like they had it at the store :'(

I also think I have bad hearing or something, I find it really tough to tune a guitar by ear, and also have tough time trying to get the different nodes on the drum to all sound the same..

aaanywho... What are some awesome tips that I'm missing out on for tuning a drum?
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
Buy a Drumdial. Then you won't have to rely on your ear to get each lug to sound close to eachother.

Ideally, learning by ear is best, but tuning drums is an art and something that needs to be learned. A lot of people bash the Drumdial, but I find it helps a lot with tuning once you realize that the settings they give you don't work for everything. Not to mention, once you find a setting you like, you can write it down and when you go to replace the heads, you can tune the whole set back up within minutes, instead of taking the time to listen to each individual drum again.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Buy a Drumdial. Then you won't have to rely on your ear to get each lug to sound close to eachother.

Ideally, learning by ear is best, but tuning drums is an art and something that needs to be learned. A lot of people bash the Drumdial, but I find it helps a lot with tuning once you realize that the settings they give you don't work for everything. Not to mention, once you find a setting you like, you can write it down and when you go to replace the heads, you can tune the whole set back up within minutes, instead of taking the time to listen to each individual drum again.

The Drumdial is ~$70.. How good does it work?? I'd rather not spend $70 on something that doesn't work very well D:
sim simma

Quote by MatrixClaw

+311 the drum dial is awesome. i got one after many hours of frustration. i get the heads sounding where i want them get everything equal and when i am happy with it i will just take a sharpie on the head and write the number down

it is not a waste of money.

i now after doing it for a while can tune a drum decently without it, but with it it always comes out better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
So I picked up a DrumDial and some much needed new skins... All I have to say is new skins and proper tuning made my shitty cheap drums sound like a million dollars

I haven't been playing drums at all on my own time other than when the band comes over to practice.. But now I actually want to play them because they sound so amazing
sim simma