as the title says i am thinking about picking up a looper. mainly for solo instrumental gigs. i saw my friend do a set at a wine festival and was quite inspired. this would be nice, because i can do this on my own time and dont have to worrying about anybody in my band or jam group not showing up and all that bs.

i am not really all that concerned on price. actually not really at all. i would like to keep it under $350 lower the better, as always.

i was looking at the DigiTech JML2

( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/digitech-jml2-jamman-stereo-looper-and-phrase-sampler-guitar-effects-pedal )

and it seems to be pretty straight forward and the computer connection to set things up seems handy.

i am not sold on the digitech one by any means way shape or form, if there is something better let me know. i just want something relatively user friendly.

so what do you all think?

quick question. are they typically placed in the effects loop or out front?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Nov 10, 2011,
If you want to use multiple loops in one song, don't get a boss looper (rc-3 or rc-30). Google rc-3 + phrase lag. If you do want to use multiple loops in one song, get a digitech looper. I have one and the first time I connected it to my computer it installed new firmware that made it possible to save loops while playing.
I've got an RC-2, which is great. Buddy's got an RC-30, which is better for live things. Quicker learning curve to it than the RC-50 as well, so that's a bonus.

I've always run my RC-2 through the effects loop without fail.
Musical things I do
http://www.youtube.com/user/CGuitar2112

GEAR
Ibanez RG 7421
Ibanez S470DXQM - Viking Red
Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 828 RN
Greg Bennet Custom
Peavey Raptor I
Atomic Reactor 112 Amp
Line 6 POD HD w/ MkII Express
Quote by sootslayer
If you want to use multiple loops in one song, don't get a boss looper (rc-3 or rc-30). Google rc-3 + phrase lag. If you do want to use multiple loops in one song, get a digitech looper. I have one and the first time I connected it to my computer it installed new firmware that made it possible to save loops while playing.

yea, i am looking at layering over layering of tracks, to play varius melodies and harmonies and add rhythm, etc. what digitech model do you have specifically?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Cskills2112
I've got an RC-2, which is great. Buddy's got an RC-30, which is better for live things. Quicker learning curve to it than the RC-50 as well, so that's a bonus.

I've always run my RC-2 through the effects loop without fail.

can you run it out front? i was hoping to use this with my orange, which doesn't have an effects loop.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
yea, i am looking at layering over layering of tracks, to play varius melodies and harmonies and add rhythm, etc.

You can do that very well with a boss looper too, it's just when you want to use two completely different loops in one song, so two memory banks, the boss loopers have a few milliseconds delay when switching between loops.
what digitech model do you have specifically?

The jamman solo, with a homemade footswitch for switching banks and stopping.
Boomerang.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
By the way, you might want to check out the electro harmonix 2880 as well. It's a little different but it can be very nice for live performing because it can sync to midi devices really easily.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
can you run it out front? i was hoping to use this with my orange, which doesn't have an effects loop.
Only if the Orange is clean. No distortion.

That Jamman is nice and you should add the external 3 switch pedal.
Quote by fly135
Only if the Orange is clean. No distortion.

That Jamman is nice and you should add the external 3 switch pedal.

I've run loopers out front of dirty amps a fair amount with no issues... Never high gain, but definitely not clean all the time either.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86

I've run loopers out front of dirty amps a fair amount with no issues... Never high gain, but definitely not clean all the time either.
You can also run it into a high gain amp with lots of distortion with no issues. It boils down to what you call an issue.

You said "not clean all the time". That means that you had the option to run into a clean amp. If someone designs their setup thinking that the distortion is going to be after the looper then they won't have an option.

If you want predictable results you need a clean amp. If you want to experiment with running into distortion, there's nothing stop you. But if you don't plan ahead by understanding that a clean amp is the baseline, you might be disappointed by the limitations.
Last edited by fly135 at Nov 10, 2011,
I've never seen 'this' argument before... I thought like all things with the effects loop its just preference.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Nov 10, 2011,
Quote by tubetime86
I've never seen 'this' argument before... I thought like all things the effects loop is just preference.
It's not just preference. It's knowing the limitation ahead of time. There is never any hard rule as to what you can't do. You can make music by banging pots and stepping on puppy dog tails.
I suppose... I didn't find 'the limitations' to be very limiting... Ideally you have all your effects before the looper so you can loop the affected tone, and not affect the looped tone (sorry I think in sentences like that for signal chain stuff because it helps me think it out.) Obviously for live sound, and song-writing this is important... But if you're just wanking around by yourself for practice there's no reason you have to do it that way.

I do agree, however, that anyone planning a live looping rig should work it around a clean amp. It has less to do with the actual sound and more to do with funcionality to me though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Tube, I have to disagree. It's all about the actual sound. If the sound you like is unpredictable polyphonic intervals running into the same distortion then go for it. But it's an axiom of guitar playing that not being selective about what intervals you feed into a distortion device is a recipe for objectionable noise.

I even find a clean tube amp less desirable than a FRFR recording when looping with multiple layers. Anything less than pristine tends to muddy the sound. Not saying a clean tube amp is inadequate. Just that an understanding of the fundamental principles is necessary to not end up scratching your head.

You probably already inherently understand that but took objection to the statement "only if clean". But I find it easier to just throw out the basic necessity rather than a long winded statements of all the possibilities that somebody will object to anyway.
I'm sure you're technically correct... I was simply saying that anecdotally I never had an issue with it. I don't even know what you're talking about to be honest.

Oh well though, for hypothetical rig building you are absolutely correct.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
thanks a lot guys, but lets go at it again.

i am not quite sure i stated my musical intentions properly.

i want to basically solo gig with an electric and one of my more portable amps (probably dual terror or speed twin (if i decide i need an effects loop). no vocals, just loops that i build up and play over repedatively. i would say record a chord progression in a very basic form, then per say add a rhythm guitar and play leads over my previous loops, and to maybe even go after that.

sorry that is so lengthy, but i don't really know what to call it.

i like the specs of the EHX one but i need it footswitchable, i am a little confused on the boomarang.

so here is what looks good about the JML2.

it has a lot of memory and i can expand it i think up to 16gb, which is colossial.

it can be connected to a computer to save your loops and organize them.

you can load mp3's to it. which may not matter to some people, but i practice about 75% of the time with backing tracks, so if i wanted to take a break and not be looping so much i could play over a backing track that i am used to playing on.

it looks solid

and it has a mic input (if i were to do it with one of my classicals for a different purpose and to make me (being my gigging time) all the more sellable, some of the nicer restaurants around here may be interested in a classical music, so that opens more doors.

sorry so lengthy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Seriously though. Boomerang looper.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Seriously though. Boomerang looper.

i dont think that is capable of doing what i want to be doing. but i really am not sure.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Oldmonkeys
the boomerang can do pretty much everything up to the MP3 side of things, and saving the loops.

and it does everything REALLY well.

it is very impressive, i have been watching demos on it basically since you posted it.

one thing that i think i need is saving the loops. i am afraid that i wouldn't be able to come up with loops with enough difference if i was playing for 2-4 hours. sometimes its nice to be prompted to start with another riff i did on a different night. dont get me wrong, i can play that long, i just worry that after 3 hours i would be out of ideas for loops although its improv (which is basically all i do anyways). i like flexibility.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i ran across something rather pleasant today. i was calling into M123 to order the JML2 for $240 or something when the guy puts me on hold for a minute. once he came back he said that he had some good news, i was wondering what he was saying, but the model up was the jamman delay (the eight foot switch one) for $220, which sells for $350 everywhere, it was one of their phone in specials.

i wont be opening it until Christmas though. gotta have something under the tree other than cards with cash or gift cards, and/or candy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by denied
Shoulda got a boomerang.

i looked into it and the more i did i realized that it wasn't what i was exactly looking for.

the storing loops and syncing them with the computer will be handy. i talked to another guy that liked the jamman because you can transfer mp3's from your computer onto your looper, which is very convent for into walking on stage or if i wanted to play to one of my backing tracks and loop over them. it just does what i want.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Awesome deal on that Jamman. IIRC it can use the ext 3 button footswitch. GC runs a sale on them for $15 every now and then. It's essential for my original Jamman.
Quote by fly135
Awesome deal on that Jamman. IIRC it can use the ext 3 button footswitch. GC runs a sale on them for $15 every now and then. It's essential for my original Jamman.

for this model? i already have eight switches...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!