hi i want to get a new half stack(budget one) and i'm able to just buy this choices in my region:

marshall tsl100(3200$ with cab)-jcm 2203 kerry king signature(3200$ with cab)-randall tube head&cabins-line6 heads- laney vh100r or gh series

the tone i want is some thing around these:
*petrucci's lead and rhythm tone(both his solo album and dream theater solos tones)
*the lead tone that this guy uses(he has diezel vh4)
http://www.youtube.com/user/sceletor#p/u/23/OXAqI8x7Qug
*some good metal rhythm and shred tones for thrash rhythms and solos(are not as important as the uppers i mentioned)

and i'm staying away from vay-satch...rock tones

i know diezel amps and petrucci's mesas are expensive and they aren't available in my country, but which amp gives the closest tone to my needs?

thanks
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
Last edited by james.hetfield at Nov 10, 2011,
All I can say that those are just so really awesome rip-off prices... Meaning that they're really not that good deals. I'd say that vh100r would be good for metal rhythm and shred.. but still not really for petrucci and Laneys in general are quite different from Marshall amplifiers, even though they're both british. If you don't need an EQ for all channels, TSL could work, but I'd rather take JVM just because of the versatility of the head.

If clean tones aren't important, you might as well go for the King's signature head, it has a really good distortion sound and you won't need stompboxes for distortion, you'd only need some OD if you want to boost the sound. However, used is always a good choice, but I don't know if that is much of an option in your region. Don't hate me for not knowing how the used market is there, it's just a presumption.

EDIT: Just wanted to know.. you're telling the prices in US Dollars, no?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Nov 10, 2011,
None of those guys use british voiced amps so I probably wouldn't go for any of the marshalls.
I wouldn't go for any of the amps you listed actually.
Where do you live? And what is your budget?
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Sakke

EDIT: Just wanted to know.. you're telling the prices in US Dollars, no?

unfortunately i'm in iran !!!and yes i said the prices in us dollars

as i said my main need is a good lead tone for shredding/soloing in petrucci's style(my pick ups are dimarzio-ibz models)
i've heard laneys are so bright,does it mean it has happy tones like vai satch ?

my budget is around 20000 usd+ a marshall avt150 combo that the seller said he would take it for around 800 usd
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
Quote by mulefish
Can you import an amp from overseas?

no i dont't think it's possible,because iran's Custom law says for these type of staff they get a 100% of it's price for Customs

there's also some peaveys,but i didn't find 6505 or 5050 s ,how are they if i find one of those?

if i were able to import overseas ,did you have a specific suggestion to me?
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
Well not really; but it would certainly widen options. Maybe an engl of some kind. It would also help with you get more from your budget.

Wait... Do you seriously have a 20,000USD budget?
Get on a plane to Europe or somewhere and buy whatever amp you want!
RIP Gooze

cats
Ok. Let's go in parts:

If you were able to import overseas get a Mesa Boogie Mark V without a doubt. I'm currently saving to get one of these, for the same reason: John Petrucci - our beloved master. Even if you get 100% of the value, it would be USD $ 4.000 more or less. Expensive, but it would be worth. Especially if you plan to spend 3200 on a Marshall TSL100.

About Peavey's:

The 6505 is amazing! You would get those kind of tones and more. Take a look at youtube and you will see what those amps could do. Stay away from Peavey JSX, total crap. I would reccomend only the 6505 for you if your purpose is follow the steps from Master Petrucci.

About the amps you listed:

I need to say two things. The first one is that I did a research on Petrucci gear a while ago (you can search for the thread here at UG) and Petrucci used a RANDALL STACK when playing with Majesty (before DT and Mesa Boogie). Amazing amp also. I would suggest you to take a look at them before buying a Marshall.

But my suggestion to you is simple. If you really plan buying one of those amps you listed, take a look at the Laney VH100. A friend of mine got one and that shit is amazing!!! It can go classic rock, heavy rock, modern rock! Amazing! But you won't be able to get a trash tone of it... UNLESS you use a booster!!! If you use it, problem solved!

I was at an expo here in Brazil and saw some viking dude, recognized him at that moment, it was Mattias IA Eklundh playing his signature guitar with his laney and a custom pedal, which he used as a booster. Dude it was amazing!!! That shit could go heavy and still get a nice crunch. Seriously, take a look at his tone, if you dig it, test Laney and please, bring your own gear and ask for a booster at the store.

Hope I cleared some things up to you.
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
Custom WG Cab with 2x12 Eminence Swamp Thang

Line 6 POD HD500
just so people know there are many restrictions and a lot of hassle to export items to iran. it's not likely that most or any of the usual muisic dealers will want to deal with it. (i do shipping including international for a living). it's also very likely that the items wouldn't make it past customs there or may end up being sent to someone else with connections.
Quote by monwobobbo
just so people know there are many restrictions and a lot of hassle to export items to iran. it's not likely that most or any of the usual muisic dealers will want to deal with it. (i do shipping including international for a living). it's also very likely that the items wouldn't make it past customs there or may end up being sent to someone else with connections.

you said you ship international?can you help me ship to iran?
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
Quote by james.hetfield

He just wrote a paragraph about how impractical it is and you respond by asking him to do it?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i'm not good at english and i thought he wrote something about working on shipping internationaly fpr people and getting money !!
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
Quote by james.hetfield
my budget is around 20000 usd+ a marshall avt150 combo that the seller said he would take it for around 800 usd

YEAH MAN GREAT DEAL ON A AVT150

TRUE MARSHAL TOAN
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by james.hetfield
i'm not good at english and i thought he wrote something about working on shipping internationaly fpr people and getting money !!

Oh ok, well he did say that... But he also said that shipping to Iran would be a huge hassle, and there's a good chance your amp would get 'lost' anyway. The quotation marks around lost imply theft just to be clear.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You could try and ask Musicstore if they can ship to Iran. You can mail them about it on export@musicstore.de.
A Mark V head (just what you need I think) is just over 2,100 euros, which is 2,700 USD.

However, if you really are limited to what you listed, I'd go for a Randall and get some nice modules for it.
Quote by james.hetfield

sorry but i don't have any connections for shipping to iran. i can't do somehting like that through work as the company doesn't deal with iran and i'd have a lot of explaining to do if i tried. with out direct customs connections it would be almost impossible to do. i also couldn't guarantee you would get it. as i mentioned often luxury items disappear and there is no way to trace them.

by the way i don't work for a music store or independently just a smoe at a company that deals with overseas clients.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Nov 10, 2011,
Out of your list, I'd say either the Laney VH or the Marshall TSL. They're both good shred amps. The TSL is more versatile, but the Laney probably has better tone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ok ,so the final arrangement: peavey 6505>randall tube head>laney vh100r>marshall tsl jcm2000

and surely i cant get petrucci's tone

you said 2700 usd is just for a mesa mark v head?or with a cab? the prices i said for tsl and jcm were with a marshall 4x12 cab although it's so expensive anyway
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
Last edited by james.hetfield at Nov 11, 2011,
isn't it possible to get american tone(like petrucci) from a british sounding amp with an eq pedal like mxr 10 band eq?
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube