I'm a beginner(Noob) drummer and need help. I just started like a week ago and want to learn to play drums. I played Violin and Guitar, both for about 6 or 7 years so I can keep a basic beat on the drum set.

The only beat I can do at the moment that toke me like an hour to learn is a simple High Hat, Bass, and snare combo. You hit the High Hat 8 times a measure and every 2nd and 4th beat you hit the Bass and then on the 4th beat you hit the snare.

I have a 5 piece set with a set of high hats and one crash cymbal and I seem to be really limited to the high hat, any advice?

P.S. The guy at the store said I can use my High Hats like a ride as a temporary thing, is this true?
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
There are no shortcuts to become a better drummer. You'll have to practice a lot in order to become a good, well-rounded drummer. But as you already have a good background in music, it shouldn't be too difficult... One of the most important thing, and one of the most difficult thing to "learn" is the independence. That should be one of your main focus for now. That, and to learn the basics, such as paradiddles and flams...
As for your P.S, personnally, I would use the crash cymbal as a ride. But, the high hats could do the job also...
Welcome to the drum world!
Have fun!
Quote by PRS_4_ever
There are no shortcuts to become a better drummer. You'll have to practice a lot in order to become a good, well-rounded drummer. But as you already have a good background in music, it shouldn't be too difficult... One of the most important thing, and one of the most difficult thing to "learn" is the independence. That should be one of your main focus for now. That, and to learn the basics, such as paradiddles and flams...
As for your P.S, personnally, I would use the crash cymbal as a ride. But, the high hats could do the job also...
Welcome to the drum world!
Have fun!

Thank you, Im glad to be here! Where would you recommend I find lessons off the internet to learn from? Any amazing drum lessons on youtube? And if recommended I could drop the 20 or 30 bucks into a DvD lesson, but I can't manage the time for a drum teacher at the moment so thats my only real limit on how far I can go into learning.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Well, as I took drum classes for a whole year, I never really searched the internet for good lessons. There are probably some good lessons on Youtube. Maybe some drummers like Dave Weckl or Virgil Donati have posted some lessons, or have wrote some good books...

I'm sorry, I can't really help you more than that.
Quote by PRS_4_ever
Well, as I took drum classes for a whole year, I never really searched the internet for good lessons. There are probably some good lessons on Youtube. Maybe some drummers like Dave Weckl or Virgil Donati have posted some lessons, or have wrote some good books...

I'm sorry, I can't really help you more than that.

It fine, i understand. Thank you!
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90