So, I'm drastically increasing the size of my pedal collection in anticipation of playing live in the near future.

The dilemma I'm currently having is that I am going to have too many pedals to fit on most of the standard sized pedalboards on the market...so I am wondering whether it would be best to either buy or make one huge pedalboard (I actually found one on eBay that's ending today that I'm tempted by) or use a couple of pedalboards (perhaps in an L shape) to fit all my pedals on?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
I just went ahead and made mine. I took a saw and cut my computer desk in half, instant pedal board.

What amp are you using?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I have been using a Fender Frontman which is very loud but lacks subtlety as well as using various Laneys and Peaveys that are available where I've been rehearsing lately.

I'm redoing my entire rig atm so will be buying a new amp too. I'm in negotiations over a few atm (second-hand because I'm not exactly loaded).

Thanks for the answer anyhow.
My friend, you don't need a huge pedalboard, you need a real amp. Pedals only add dirt to your sound. Unless you are a master - but masters don't play on Frontmen, let's be honest -your pedalboard induces a huge load on your pickups. Try to get rid of some pedals, whose functions might be well replaced by a real amp, and get good cables too.
For instance, an amp with a good spring reverb and distortion channel might help you get rid of at least two pedals. Compressor is usually a pedal you can give away with a positive impact on your sound: why would you need a pedal which levels everything you play at the same erratic level? Chorus is a very effective, but limited pedal too: you can get the same function if you clverly use the tone and volume knobs on the guitar and amp. Etc. etc.
You think of buying a second hand amp: it's a good decision, because a good second hand all-tube, provided with spring reverb and good gain, is better than any new digital modelling crap.
I could recommand you a simple 4-units pedalboard that, according to your guitar and new amp, will make you sound like a god of Rock. You might find it funny, but patch cables are actualy more important than the units themselves! Just let me know in my account if you're interested in a more detailed talk about a simple and effective pedalboard. It's free, definitely! You deserve a better sound!
I was wondering that it might be best to have two, one that goes direct in the imput for stuff like your distortion and wah and one to go in th fx loop for your delay etc
Quote by broken_machines
I have been using a Fender Frontman which is very loud but lacks subtlety as well as using various Laneys and Peaveys that are available where I've been rehearsing lately.

I'm redoing my entire rig atm so will be buying a new amp too. I'm in negotiations over a few atm (second-hand because I'm not exactly loaded).

Thanks for the answer anyhow.

This thread is now about you getting a better amp
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by rv_phoenix
My friend, you don't need a huge pedalboard, you need a real amp. Pedals only add dirt to your sound. Unless you are a master - but masters don't play on Frontmen, let's be honest -your pedalboard induces a huge load on your pickups. Try to get rid of some pedals, whose functions might be well replaced by a real amp, and get good cables too.
For instance, an amp with a good spring reverb and distortion channel might help you get rid of at least two pedals. Compressor is usually a pedal you can give away with a positive impact on your sound: why would you need a pedal which levels everything you play at the same erratic level? Chorus is a very effective, but limited pedal too: you can get the same function if you clverly use the tone and volume knobs on the guitar and amp. Etc. etc.
You think of buying a second hand amp: it's a good decision, because a good second hand all-tube, provided with spring reverb and good gain, is better than any new digital modelling crap.
I could recommand you a simple 4-units pedalboard that, according to your guitar and new amp, will make you sound like a god of Rock. You might find it funny, but patch cables are actualy more important than the units themselves! Just let me know in my account if you're interested in a more detailed talk about a simple and effective pedalboard. It's free, definitely! You deserve a better sound!

Stop making wild assumptions about what he'll be doing with his pedals. It doesn't help him, you, or anyone. Also, cables more important? Bullshit. Maybe as important in some cases, but never more important.

On topic, it would probably be beneficial to buy a better amp first, so you get an idea of exactly the pedals you need. Then when you do buy the pedals, if you have too many for one standard sized board, the best way to go would probably be to arrange them on two boards. One of them for the pedals you think you absolutely need, and another for the ones that you like to have but you can leave at home when space is an issue.

Hope that helped.
Cables can ruin ANY kind of sound, no matter which effects you use or not. You seem to have a very simple mind, if you don't understand this paradoxe. â
In fact, that's your homework: try to put together a pedalboard made of the most expensive pedals (Pete Cornish, Mad Professor, Fulltone and stuff like that), linked together by the cheapest standard cable. And then make a pedalboard with average effects (HardWire, Electro-Harmonix etc.), linked together by Evidence cables. The second pedalboard will sound 10X better than the first one. If you haven't been in a record studio or on stage, please shut up and don't give advices any more.
I wasn't assuming anything. Our fellow requested an advice. I've offered him my 30 years of experience on stage and in the studio. What's wrong with that? Why do you react like I was offering him to blow up the Twin Towers?
I think the one board for the loop and one in front idea is a great idea, might do that myself. Pedals are surprisingly heavy when you have a good few of them on a board (especially whammy and loop stations, muff weighs nothing)

An amp would be a better addition to the rig than a hoast of new pedals, I dont wanna go down that line but...mayb upgrade the amp and then see if you still need them all, you might be even able to trade the ones you dont need any longer for the ones you still want. But I dont know you sound or what you like so its your baby, only a suggestion.

Oh, if moneys tight (your into guitar gear of course its tight!! HA) you can turn bits of old furnature into pedal boards. I know a guy who made a class board out of an old drawer. I made mine from plywood and a couple of latches i found around at home.

Good luck with it
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Quote by rv_phoenix
Cables can ruin ANY kind of sound, no matter which effects you use or not. You seem to have a very simple mind, if you don't understand this paradoxe. â
In fact, that's your homework: try to put together a pedalboard made of the most expensive pedals (Pete Cornish, Mad Professor, Fulltone and stuff like that), linked together by the cheapest standard cable. And then make a pedalboard with average effects (HardWire, Electro-Harmonix etc.), linked together by Evidence cables. The second pedalboard will sound 10X better than the first one. If you haven't been in a record studio or on stage, please shut up and don't give advices any more.
I wasn't assuming anything. Our fellow requested an advice. I've offered him my 30 years of experience on stage and in the studio. What's wrong with that? Why do you react like I was offering him to blow up the Twin Towers?

I didn't say cables aren't important. But you're wrong about them being more important.

You were telling him that an amp with distortion and reverb means he won't need pedals for that, and he can just always use a tone knob instead of chorus, and he won't need compression. Those are all assumptions about what he plans on doing with the pedals.
TS:

Buy one big board so you can carry all in one way.

When you have 2 there is a possibility you forget or lose one, plus its extra cargo

Only use 2 when you are Bi-Amping, and even then, its best not to!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
i used 2 for a while, i had one board that was 'normal' (wah -> od -> chorus -> reverb -> delay) and another one with obscure tricks (harmonizer, ring mod, moog pedals, etc). this way if i didn't need all the unnecessary fancy stuff i could just bring one board.

this ended up still being a pain cuz i didn't have one board wired and ready to go, i'd have to hook the up together and make sure they were powered right.

i'd say try and use one board, cuz it is way easier logistically.

edit: the amp you have is bad, but upgrade it when you are ready.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
personally i'd do two seperate boards because its easier to carry around and im not exactly the buffest guy around. however i think that if you are willing to deal with the weight then i'd go with one big board and put wheels on it.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
To the people talking about me getting a new amp...as I have said in this thread I AM BUYING A NEW AMP. I know the current one is crap but it did the job I wanted it to do when I bought it, and all I did then was play straightforward alt-rock so it only needed to be loud.

I actually just sold the Frontman which is good and I should be getting the new amp within the next week which is even better

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to try and go for one board for now...with my looper off the edge because it's quite big. I will no doubt post a picture on here at some point when the board is finished to my satisfaction
Quote by rv_phoenix

No, because anything after the Cornish buffer (or any buffer for that matter) is pretty much negated. And spending crazy money on Evidence cables is silly. A decent Mogami has low enough capacitance that you shouldn't every have to worry about the resonant peak being low enough to affect your high end. And Hendrix, SRV, etc. used the shittiest cables you could find and still had great tone. I'm not saying they don't make a difference, they definitely do. But worry about that shit last.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs