well I've been playing guitar around a year and i'd like to learn bass also, because it can't hurt to know how to play more than one instrument.

anyway so im thinking about either one of the above, my budgets about £300/($450) I think. not bothered if I spent all that aslong as it was good for what I want

I play anything from the beatles through to more rock stuff like led zep, also alternative like sonic youth or the smiths. I don't really play metal or hard rock. led zep is probably as hard as I play.

so out of the p squier bass or the thunderbird which one's better? im thinking the thunderbird but maybe im just swayed too much because I think it looks better

please help

if you know any good starter bass amps let me know too please.
I'd include in your list a squier Jazz bass (Vintage modified or classioc vibe series)
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Squier, by all means. It's the budget version of the bass refference in the last 60 years, while Epi is the budget version of a bass that didn't impress anyone in the last 55 years or so. But all depends of what you play and how comfortable you feel with the instrument. There are so many lousy players using P Bass, and quite a few good ones using the Thunderbird!
It's got to be the P-Bass - The Epiphone Thunderbirds are very underwhelming at best, and have been known to occasionally contain guitar pickups rather than bass pickups.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Squier P for sure. If it's an Affinity, you'll have a decent starter bass. If you're looking at a Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified P, you'll have a truly excellent starter bass. Either way, it should do everything you need it to.

There's not really anything good about the Epi T bird. It's a one trick pony, but not in a good way. Epi's quality control on its lower level basses is spotty and shoddy at best, and there's nothing it can do that pretty much any other entry level bass can't do better.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Take the Squier P, it's easier to handle for beginners.

Once you've got a few years, you can step up to the mighty weight of the Thunderbird, but only if your back/shoulders can take it.
I concur on the Squier.

On the amp. what's your budget and are you just looking for something for say, bedroom practice?
Quote by Lord_Doku
Take the Squier P, it's easier to handle for beginners.

Once you've got a few years, you can step up to the mighty weight of the Thunderbird, but only if your back/shoulders can take it.

Not only is it easier to handle, it's a better instrument. The Thunderbird is not a step up - it's a step down.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

yeah the amp is just for practice and it is squier affinty bass im looking at.

I know looks arent what I need to be choosing but my guitar is a fender strat, like the most basic type of guitar ever, it's so bland (sounds nice but looks boring), like the vanilla of the guitar world.

the squier affnity p bass might be the best option but it's like the vanilla of the bass world :/

aren't there any different looking basses that still sound good and don't cost a fortune? (like under £300/$500 and I don't mind getting second hand aslong as it's quality)
For under £300 second hand? Bloody loads!

This is a great deal:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/158740-squier-vintage-modified-jazz-bass/page__hl__squier

And if you're worrying about it being a bit "vanilla" - then don't. You're choosing between "Vanilla" and "Dog-poo" flavour.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

With your budget get a Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified Squier. Amazing quality for the price. I have a CV 60s Jazz and love it. The thunderbirds look like rock n roll but are neck heavy, very one dimensional and muddy sounding(I had thought about getting one at one time but read too many negative reviews)

With a P bass, yes it's very boring looking, but its sound is classic and so widespread from country to metal and everything in between. You can do a lot with just a plain ol P bass.
With your budget, you could probably get a Squier CV or VM, and a decent amp, such as the Acoustic B20.
The only Thunderbirds that are any good is the Pro series, and the pick-ups are still meh at best. But it is built very well. The bolt-on versions, are crap.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you are looking for a good value practice amp. Go for Kustom. Great price, loud as frick.
I have an Epiphone Thunderbird and the only complaint I have with it is the neck dive it always does when I let go of the neck. But is as easy as holding it and the sound is good for the price. But I believe it's all about personal preference.... A couple of years ago I had the same confrontation between the two but I believe I came with the right choice for me.
+1 on Kustom practice amps. Also The only Epiphone bass that I have ever been mildly interested in was the Thunderbird Pro - the bolt-on ones are bad.
Loving fender I have to go with fender. People do use thunderbirds, but tend to have gibsons, you can do some mods to them to ditch the mud and make them better but, why pay money for your first bass on something that's needing work. Fenders are just great tones, and it might seem plain but even affinities have several color choices, you can get red, blue, black, sunburst. Also, Fenders can be modded very easy, just pick a new pickguard and maybe some new chrome covers, or paint the plastic of the pickups, and you got a brand new bass that looks realllly good.
Quote by askrere
Loving fender I have to go with fender. People do use thunderbirds, but tend to have gibsons, you can do some mods to them to ditch the mud and make them better but, why pay money for your first bass on something that's needing work. Fenders are just great tones, and it might seem plain but even affinities have several color choices, you can get red, blue, black, sunburst. Also, Fenders can be modded very easy, just pick a new pickguard and maybe some new chrome covers, or paint the plastic of the pickups, and you got a brand new bass that looks realllly good.

this...

in your budget, vanilla is the best flavor... and modding it/ or painting it, or somthing like that is like throwing chocolate to the vanilla... so you got a kickass flavor (i don't think that vanilla goes well with chocolate pieces, but you get the point...)
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
i used to have an epi bird. it's certainly heavy but it's not as bad as everyone here makes it out to be imo. the only crap sound i got from it was the bridge pickup which was really thin on it's own. i was able to make mine very bright despite all the mud rumors; the neck had a thick p-bass sound, but with a dark touch of it's own sound to it as well. and both pickups sounded kind of like a p and j combo with both pickups on but also with a bit of it's own sound as well. it's only really muddy if you make it; i used incredibly bright rounds(ernie balls, rotos, chromes) +pick + boosting mids/highs. doing this will bring out the true tone of the bass if you ask me. i can even post a vid of a talent show i played a few years back with it if you want proof. it definatly punched right through the mix.

then again i've also owned VM jazz basses and they are decent instruments as well, but not much lighter. i actually owned two different ones and i've had neck issues with both. can't speak for the squier p's though. anyways i'll shut up but have to say both are decent basses for the price, but each have some flaws depending on your preference.