I'm considering shipping a DBZ Bolero from the States as there are no UK dealers at the moment and given that the pound is so strong against the dollar at the moment the exchange is pretty good. The guitar itself costs around $750 which comes out around £400, I imagine shipping will costs somewhere between £50-£100 and tax £100 or so, would these figures seem realistic?

Either way it's an awesome guitar for around £600-700
seems realistic, and provided that usa dbz is ****ing amazing.... its worth it in my eyes.

aren't high end esp ltd's costing around that price? tbh, i'd take a usa dbz over a ec-1000 any day.
yeah. maybe assume slightly more for the tax (i'd normally assume 25-30% of the total, and that total includes the shipping fee unfortunately).

£700 is a right bit for a korean-made (I assume) guitar, though. Not that all korean-made guitars are bad or anything (my fretking is really nice), but it's definitely the exception, rather than the rule, in my experience, when they can go head to head with the japanese, american or EU-made stuff. (talking about the export stuff for western markets, supposedly the not-for-export korean stuff is great)

obviously it's your call

EDIT: ^ is it a US-made one?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Made in China from what I can find, but it will be shipping from the US to the UK if I go ahead with it.
hmmm

yeah if it's made in china, that's very dear even at the US price. IMO.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they are. for teh money they really are. i picked up a bolero and it was the heavest darn thing ever. it make my les paul feel like an acoustic, but they really do have great fit and finish, quality, and stylng.

do people know Suhr makes the rasmus line in china and they are 1000-1500 bucks i think? its so they can make something comparable to their 4000-5000 models and afford to drop the price by about 3500 bucks.

DBZ is doing the same thing. a USA DBZ will cost thousands.
There is a UK dealer

Strings Direct/Holiday Music sell them. They look good and play like shit mate. All that Bollocks about leaving dean to start a better quality brand is just a joke and marketing ploy. Dbz isn't doing a Suhr. It's closer to Epiphone.

If you looked real hard you could probably import a 2nd hand MIA Dean for that money...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by ikey_
they are. for teh money they really are. i picked up a bolero and it was the heavest darn thing ever. it make my les paul feel like an acoustic, but they really do have great fit and finish, quality, and stylng.

do people know Suhr makes the rasmus line in china and they are 1000-1500 bucks i think? its so they can make something comparable to their 4000-5000 models and afford to drop the price by about 3500 bucks.

You do know that the most desirable wood is the lightweight stuff, right?
pardon, i meant i didnt like the heaviness. it was just a brief observation whrn i picked it up. its a brick in a bad way.

and i never said it was as good as suhr, i am commenting on its busienss pactices of making stuff domestically and in asia to cut costs and deliver relativlyogood wuality at multiple price points
Cost of instrument + quoted postage cost = total A.
Import and customs fees equals roughly 30% of total A.
Add £10 for post office/parcel force/city link/ups delivery and handling charge = total B
Where total B is your final price.

At least roughly. Sometimes they charge more, sometimes you luck out and they'll charge less. A lot of it depends on the weight and dimensions of the package. For a whole guitar you're gonna be in the heavy weight class and it'll be a long package so you'll be at the higher end. It might be best to add a whole third rather than 30%. Usually you'll get a letter before delivery asking you to pay these fees which you can do online. Sometimes they just turn up at your door with the guitar and demand the money right there.

Importing is a pain. Only do it if you are saving a LOT or if it's the only way to get that particular model of guitar.
Quote by ikey_

FWIW I'm not that keen on suhr doing it either

Quote by ikey_

and i never said it was as good as suhr, i am commenting on its busienss pactices of making stuff domestically and in asia to cut costs and deliver relativlyogood wuality at multiple price points

Oh I understand perfectly, but my point is that £700 will often buy you that better domestic-made (or more like western-made or japanese-made) instrument if you know what you're doing and know where to look.

I picked up a NOS charvel star (US-made) for £700 the other day from a UK-based shop, for example. Japanese-made charvels, tokais and ibanezes go for less than £700 every day of the week (and that's new- s/h you can probably pick them up for more like £300-£400). There are good deals if all you want is a good guitar and you're patient and know where to look.

With only a couple of exceptions, I've rarely paid more than £500 for any of my guitars, and the vast majority are EU- or Japanese-made. And most were new or new old stock from shops or manufacturers, too, as I'm not that keen on second-hand. With the deals I've got there's little need to go second-hand, lol.

Obviously if you have a very particular guitar you want, then you might not have those options, but it's worth considering, if you want that specific model, if it's worth paying over the odds for it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 11, 2011,