Pit who else is scared to grow up?
I'll be 18 this coming august and with being almost done with school I'm working on getting a job now and saving for moving out.
It kind of dawned on me last night that while I'll be free from living with my parents (lolangst), it'll just be me.
Finding a job, a place to stay, earning enough to pay bills and feed myself and being totally on my own..it's freaking scary.

It made me think about how Uni life is a bit of a transition between living with parents and being on your own. Even though a student is often by themself, loans and things like that help out with having to support them.
Just how my whole life there's been someone to make sure there's food around or a place to sleep. The thought that no one will be there scares the hell out of me.

I'm not the only one feeling this way, right?
I don't want to grow up, I wanna be a Toys R Us kid-kid-kid.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

The thought terrifies me.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Lol I'm 21 and don't wanna leave uni and have to get a real job. I have loved the lat 4 years of my life and worried everything good is gonna end. But that's just life you always have to keep moving on.
I went through that fear stage. I graduated high school last year, and I'm currently working my ass off to save money for school. I'm 18 as well.

I had the realization that it's just another part of life, though. People always come out of school saying it's time to really "start their life", but we've been living this whole time.

I'm pretty stoked to leave this home and find one of my own.
Quote by Trowzaa
I don't want to grow up, I wanna be a Toys R Us kid-kid-kid.

There's a magical place, we're on our way there. With toys in their millions all under one roof – it's called Toys 'R' Us!
growing up is awesome and terrible at the same time. Learning how to do a lot of things (usually by making terrible mistakes) sucks but the freedom is great.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by whoomit
There's a magical place, we're on our way there. With toys in their millions all under one roof – it's called Toys 'R' Us!

This man understands what's up.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I proudly live alone and enjoy the freedom and solitary. Just started uni earlier this year a few years later than my friends. Im 23. Probably could almost be done with master's by now, but oh well better late than never. Only thing I worry about as I'm getting older is the health of my parents. So far so good though
I'm 18 in two months.

Not very excited about it, gotta pay for my mandatory health insurance now.

I don't even have a ****ing choice.
Well think of it this way, if you don't grow up you'll end up like those fat balding guys in their 30's still living with their mum. Now doesn't it seem so much better?
OUT OF ORDER
I used to be scared of leaving school and stuff but it turns out i went to Uni and it's much better than home.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Yeah. I've become so used to the school system that it'll be hard not seeing all my buddies every day like I'm used to - especially since a few of them are going overseas for a gap year. I find it quite exciting and daunting at the same time.
Quote by sglover34479
Pit who else is scared to grow up?
I'll be 18 this coming august and with being almost done with school I'm working on getting a job now and saving for moving out.
It kind of dawned on me last night that while I'll be free from living with my parents (lolangst), it'll just be me.
Finding a job, a place to stay, earning enough to pay bills and feed myself and being totally on my own..it's freaking scary.

I moved out when I was 15, and IMHO if you're 17 you should be ready to do all those things already. I guess that's not helpful.

If you're scared, your parents will probably be happy to teach you a thing or two and there's probably a lot of guides online for setting up your budget, how to find a decent job, cooking your own food and so on. You'll be less scared and better prepared when you know more about it
Nope. I can't wait to move out, get my own place, and **** myself up in some cesspit flat
Sing me to sleep.
Moved out about a month ago while I was 17, turned 18 shortly after. I've got a place to stay, making good money, and I'm quite happy. It's not so bad, the toughest part for someone this age is finding a job. Living on your own is simple. If you've got housemates, share the work. If it's just you, you only have what mess you make to clean up. Keep track of how much you spend and where and you'll be good to go.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
You're moving out of your parents house and living by your own rules, you should be excited. I know it's probably scary because you're doing a lot for the first time and don't know what to expect, but everyone does it. I remember when I was nervous about something I'd never done that seemed huge(getting a drivers license, first job, ect.), I would look around at the retarded people that are doing it just fine and know I'll be fine.
I'm the exact opposite. I want to grow up as quickly as possible. I am 21, but most people still treat me like a 5 year old. We live in the age where you're not really considered an adult until you're in your 30's. They call this the "Peter Pan" generation. Don't worry about growing up yet, because most people aren't going to expect you to grow up for a long time.
I'm 20 next year, i'm an old man ffssssss lmao

No worries though. 3 years biology degree & 1 years teaching degree before i have to start growing up properly woooo!
You've not grown up until you have to work a minimum of 40 hours a week to scrape together enough money to pay for survival and stuff like courses and driving lessons to get onto the career ladder.

I'm not there yet, but probably will be in the next few months.
I'm 20. I graduate in two years. Looking forward to being homeless. Maybe, when I'm wondering if I'll be able to eat tomorrow, I'll start to consider myself grown up.
Quote by MiserySignals11
I'm the exact opposite. I want to grow up as quickly as possible. I am 21, but most people still treat me like a 5 year old. We live in the age where you're not really considered an adult until you're in your 30's. They call this the "Peter Pan" generation. Don't worry about growing up yet, because most people aren't going to expect you to grow up for a long time.

I thought the "Peter Pan" generation refers to people who remain immature well into their 30's. People who are expected to act like adults, but refuse to "grow up".
Last edited by sashki at Nov 10, 2011,
Quote by sashki
I'm 20. I graduate in two years. Looking forward to being homeless. Maybe, when I'm wondering if I'll be able to eat tomorrow, I'll start to consider myself grown up.

I thought the "Peter Pan" generation refers to people who remain immature well into their 30's. People who are expected to act like adults, but refuse to "grow up".

Well, the thing is, we live in a time where a lot of people don't feel any pressure to grow up. The period between ages 18 and 30 is now pretty much considered to be psuedo adulthood. One hundred years ago, you were really a full adult at 18. The kids were under tons of pressure to get married, have a job and have their own kids asap. Now, people seem pretty indifferent about forcing kids to mature.

I think since people live a lot longer now, 30 is going to be like the new 20 and so forth. That's just my theory, though. I do believe, however, that kids really aren't motivated into maturing these days. The kids these days are too overprotected by their parents who pretty much make it so that they have barely any responsibilites at all. How many parents when their kids make terrible choices use their age as an excuse. "Oh, she's only 21! She's young!".

Not too long ago I had to write a report on Generation Y, and it was absolutely sickening when comparing it to past generations. Back in, say, the 60's, a lot of kids couldn't wait to grow up and be independent. Now, kids would rather just work a part time job at Burger King while spending most of their time playing xbox in their parent's basement into their mid to late 30's. The way I see it, it can only get worse.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/124461/20somethings_settle_into_new_stage.html
Last edited by MiserySignals11 at Nov 10, 2011,
Quote by MiserySignals11

Now, kids would rather just work a part time job at Burger King while spending most of their time playing xbox in their parent's basement into their mid to late 30's. The way I see it, it can only get worse.

]

I don't see how that's a bad thing. Of course I would not like to be doing that at age 30.
I'm turning 18 in December and am moving out on my own probably in May. Sometimes I get a little anxious about it, but mostly it's just exciting.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
I turn 18 in January and my dad RAGED on me so hard today because I've been making D's in highschool and don't have a job yet. I'm not bothering looking for a job yet because I've tried before and everywhere I went you had to be 18 to work there, but he's like "I LIVED OUT OF AN ICE CHEST WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE MY DAD KICKED ME OUT THE HOUSE AND I WORKED EVERYWHERE YAHHHHHH!!!!!".

I'm sure it'll be alright for both of us.
Quote by Bassolini
I moved out when I was 15

Did you drop out of high school or something? I would have loved to have been able to move out at 15.

Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
I turn 18 in January and my dad RAGED on me so hard today because I've been making D's in highschool and don't have a job yet. I'm not bothering looking for a job yet because I've tried before and everywhere I went you had to be 18 to work there, but he's like "I LIVED OUT OF AN ICE CHEST WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE MY DAD KICKED ME OUT THE HOUSE AND I WORKED EVERYWHERE YAHHHHHH!!!!!".

I'm sure it'll be alright for both of us.

If you really want a job badly enough, you'll get one. I've been working since I was in elementary school (under the table till I was 16), and I was constantly told no because of my age. At first, I was mowing lawns, shoveling driveways in the winter, washing cars, etc and then I got hired at McDonald's (which sucked) and then a grocery store. I would literally walk from McDonald's after an 8 hour shift in the middle of a snowstorm to the grocery store and BEG for a job. I came there every sunday for 6 months, and they finally gave me the job. You just have to prove that you're willing to work harder than anyone else.

As far as grades go, you should at least have a B average if you want to get into a decent college. If school is really hard for you, ask your teacher if there are any free tutoring opportunities available.
Last edited by MiserySignals11 at Nov 10, 2011,