Ok. I've been trying to play standing up.
Im facing a few problems.
1)My little finger doesnt reach a lot of the frets on the low E when i play scales and solos.
2)Im unable to palm mute properly.
So can you guys tell me how low i should put my guitar. And how will i play solos without my little finger?

And can you guys give me a few tips on playing the guitar standing.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
you are probably letting the guitar hang too low... shorten the strap, find a height where you can reach the whole fretboard comfortably
Quote by mrkeka
you are probably letting the guitar hang too low... shorten the strap, find a height where you can reach the whole fretboard comfortably

This^

As "cool" as letting it hang low is, sounding shit is never cool. Look at how high tom morello, clapton green and hendrix wear their guitar

Also, practice as you want to play live....IE standing up!
(on a less serious note, it allows for jumping around too!)
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Quote by mrkeka

Yup, i was just about to say this. I know it supposedly doesnt look as cool but get comfortable playing standing up with your guitar up high.

If you really wann have it low slung like Tim Armstrong or Peter Hook etc the move it down gradually over a couple of weeks or so so you get used to it gradually but dont have it low down to look cool at the expense of your playing
Ok thanks guys. But you forgot to mention SLASH. LOL. Anyway, Ill do that. Thanks.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
well playing the guitar low-strung is difficult.....and you should practice while standing at all times if you want to master playing the guitar low slung..but sitting down and practicing can be beneficial at a latter stage for building up finger strength...especially when you have been standing and playing for something like 3 hrs.... and playing low slung is more fun...i mean i agree its no the most logical or technical approach to the instrument but when the hell was rock n roll bout logic anyway ?!
I'm suprised that this hasn't been mentioned. Power Stance
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
One of the best things I learnt was to adjust your strap to the same level your guitar is at when you play sitting down. For me, when I play sitting down, the left most part of my guitar is in line with the bottom of my rib cage.

Basically, when you sit down to practice, put on your strap and adjust it so that you elevate the guitar maybe a half inch above your regular sitting position. When you stand up, adjust it that half inch.

By doing this, you're always practicing using the same angle, motions and distance to the bridge/neck and it will make things much easier. We all know havin your guitar slung low looks cool, but I appreciate the sounds coming out of the guitar much more than the way the guitarist looks. Petrucci holds his guitar like a friggin' baby.
yes the height of the guitar when standing shouldnt be much different from when you are sitting with it (sitting up straight, not bent over that is). i go maybe a bit lower than that but not much. that way there isnt much change between sitting and standing. either that, or play standing up a lot more. people like slash can do it because he's been playing that way for years. plus a lot of the time he holds the guitar up and rests it on his leg so in a way, he doesnt really always play that low. at least not for solos.
Agreed, shorten the strap. Look like one of the beatles.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
It is better to sound good then to look cool.

When i was just starting out i has this hype of looking cool.

I remember that at one concert i let my strap low so i can look cool. That was the WORST concert i had ever did. I missed a lot of notes and i sucked bad. Don't repeat my mistake
I never understood why people play with the guitar so low. Sure, sacrifice playing cleaning with looking "cool" It looks stupid when people hang their guitar super low, I've always found it more comfortable playing with it a little higher than my belt line. It's also irritating when people seriously refer to a guitar as an axe, can't stand that shit.
Different body shapes make a difference. If you have a smaller frame and smaller hands, then your fingers have less reach. The lower you hang your guitar, the more you will have to tilt the neck upward to get full command of the fretboard. Tilting the guitar neck up more also feels like a more natural position to me for the left hand - less outward rotation of the wrist.

Work with proper ergonomics for natural hand and arm positions. Make your guitar height part of this. I'd hate for you to come back and post on how to make your hands/wrists/back stop hurting!
Thanks for all the replies guys! Im gonna keep the guitar kinda high and maybe lower it little by little. But not much though. Thanks again!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by mrkeka

This. All of these problems come from having your guitar. I messed around with mine a LOT before I got it exactly where I wanted it when I started playing in a band.