Hey,

I have been playing guitar for 2 years, but I found that in the past half - 1 year I came to a point where I no longer played for pleasure but because I wanted to play so badly in front of people. Back when I started, I played for my own pleasure and I could enjoy every moment with the guitar. Now I just get frustrated, because I have this goal that I would perform in front of many people once. The fact that many people are better than me gets me even more frustrated sometimes, because I wanna be good quickly. I think I dont even need to mention that I started finding practising boring / frustrating too, and I give up early. My philosophy is: Only when you enjoy every bit of it, can good music be played, and if you do not enjoy it, you wont get any better either... But lately I have found that I DO NOT FIT into my own philosophy.

My question: What should I do?

I still enjoy playing guitar sometimes, but I would say that in the past 1 year, I didnt improve one bit. I feel like I just cant do anything for my own pleasure (which is the most important obviously...). I dream about being good at something finally... Being a great guitarist, being able to play to people and enjoying it. But I dont know what I should do because of the above mentioned things. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance
I'll answer your question with another question:
Do you have a band, or are you playing by yourself all the time?

Cause playing by yourself can get boring pretty quickly (at least for me)... and jamming with other people tends to both motivate you and help you improve a bit quicker
Quote by mrkeka
I'll answer your question with another question:
Do you have a band, or are you playing by yourself all the time?

Cause playing by yourself can get boring pretty quickly (at least for me)... and jamming with other people tends to both motivate you and help you improve a bit quicker

I have always played by myself, I never had a band or any people to play with, because simply there are no musicians around here.
There's no reason to quit unless you know you don't want to do it anymore. If you know you don't enjoy it, then the choice is simple. If you still enjoy it, but feel ashamed or stuck, use that desire to play in front of crowds as a motivating factor to keep going and push through your current struggle.

I say this because I'm facing a similar situation, except I've never lost my passion for playing and learning guitar. I want to play in front of crowds and when I watch video, DVD's or go to shows and watch my idols play, I know even more so that that's what I want to do. Immediately afterwards, I pick up my guitar and start widdling away. Knowing I'm no good (in comparison) is what makes me want to learn, it makes me keep practicing and it makes me know that at the end of the day, if i make it to that stage, it was all worth while.

Nothing compares to the joy I feel when I practice my ass off and finally master a lick or song that I've always loved and thought was too hard a few weeks before. Anything is possible if you're willing to work at it, but nothing is handed to you, especially in terms of musicianship. Greats like Steve Vai and Alexi Laiho spent 8 hours a day, during their early teens, practicing everyday. Do I/can I practice that much? No and that's what tells me that it will take longer and I need to keep the practice up because even legends had to put in the time and build their chops from scratch.
It's alright if you aren't very good. Plenty of people in popular bands aren't very good. The best thing you can do is to find people to play with. Even if "jamming" isn't your thing, it is still a lot of fun to play with people, and having a band will make you much more likely to play in-front of people.
For the love of god! (Great song btw)

Keep the guitar at! The worst thing that can happen is that it won't get played.

But maybe you just wan't to take a break? Try to get a feel of how a life without a guitar in your hands is? Do love it? Cause if you do, maybe you should just abandon the guitar..

But if you have no one to play with it might get ****ing boring really fast. So be your own singer. Write your own songs. That is the only way of making it big without a band. And if you're really ****ing good at writing songs you might even be able to make it big just playing standard chords!

Yours ****ing sincerely,

Me
No gear.. Just tits.. And some gear.. Mostly Fenders.. And tits.. A Takamine acoustic.. An Orange tube amp.. A shitty Fender amp.. AND TITS! And a big fuckload of pedals that i don't know how to use..
Can I suggest that you take a break from guitar for say a month. during that month do your best not to think about guitar and listen to lots of music. hopefully after that month when you pick up the guitar again it will seem fresh and more enjoyable. hopefully.
Quote by kiraly5
Hey,

The fact that many people are better than me gets me even more frustrated sometimes, because I wanna be good quickly.

There are no shortcuts. Any good guitar player you have heard, got good by practicing a lot.

Sometimes you have to do something you consider boring (practice) because it will pay off in the future (being good enough to play in front of an audience). Then again, it might not be worth it. Only you can decide what's right for you.
I relate to this a lot. Maybe try being more patient with yourself. Appreciate the simple joy of the sounds you're making on the guitar. Play for fun and try not to think about the high expectations you hope to reach. In time I think you will find you have improved and that you have the motivation to keep going. If only I could take my own advice...
Personally I feel like you haven't even tried ur goals yet.

You say from the beginning you wanted to play in front of people.

Now if you want to quit because you performed a few/lots of times and don't get excited by it... then that's understandable, but you haven't performed even once for a live audience!

You can perform solo with either instrumental music, or singer/songwriter style. If you really want to get in a band, then you should either move to a place where there are people, or search better.

You can also try to do like a youtube collaboration with someone if you get some recording gear, which could totally be your thing.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I think you're probably wrong when you say you haven't improved in the past year. Chances are you've improved a lot, but you're not super aware of it because you don't have a great reference point.

I think the question you need to ask yourself is why you're not finding playing for yourself to be any fun. Is it that you feel stuck? In that case, lessons are a good way to go.

The problem with saying "The fact that many people are better than me gets me even more frustrated sometimes, because I wanna be good quickly," is twofold.

First, there are ALWAYS people better than you. Ultimately, however, it's not a competition. The question is never, "Am I better than that guy?" but rather, "Am I capable of expressing myself the way I want to express myself?" It shouldn't matter to you if some other guy can play licks faster than you - the question is if you can play the licks that you want to play? Music is not about being "the best" - it's about creating an emotional experience that you want to create.

And it's possible that you're frustrated and stuck because of the gap between what you want to create and what you can create. That's fine. I think that and/or a struggle finding your own voice are the most common reasons why people quit. Again - lessons. Sometimes a few lessons can help your ability leapfrog, which gets you enthusiastic about the instrument again.

Second, ultimately, you have to decide: do you want to get good, or do you only want to be good. A lot of times people are excited about having accomplished something, but aren't so into the hard work required to actually accomplish it. Sounds like you might be dealing with this, too. Getting good at an instrument often means ruthlessly attacking your weaknesses - and that's not always fun. After all, if it was fun, we would have been working on those areas anyway and we'd probably be better at them.

That being said, if you're only ever going to be happy if you get a lot better than you are now, and you're not willing to put in the work to get there ... well, I think you know the answer.

But I think you'll find that few things in life that are worth having come without a little bit of work.
I think it would be safe to say that most guitarists go through these feelings at some point, i know i did.

Put down your guitar for a day or even a week and see how you feel.
Just forget about comparing yourself to others, listen to some different music and if it's possible, get in a band.

Most of us have been there man, it takes time to get good.
Do You Want To See My Cotton Panties?
I dont know, it's like... I wanna go out there and play for people, but at the same moment I get a "feeling" and I become reluctant to do anything with the guitar, maybe find it boring, etc... etc...
Quote by kiraly5
Hey,

I have been playing guitar for 2 years, but I found that in the past half - 1 year I came to a point where I no longer played for pleasure but because I wanted to play so badly in front of people. Back when I started, I played for my own pleasure and I could enjoy every moment with the guitar. Now I just get frustrated, because I have this goal that I would perform in front of many people once. The fact that many people are better than me gets me even more frustrated sometimes, because I wanna be good quickly. I think I dont even need to mention that I started finding practising boring / frustrating too, and I give up early. My philosophy is: Only when you enjoy every bit of it, can good music be played, and if you do not enjoy it, you wont get any better either... But lately I have found that I DO NOT FIT into my own philosophy.

My question: What should I do?

I still enjoy playing guitar sometimes, but I would say that in the past 1 year, I didnt improve one bit. I feel like I just cant do anything for my own pleasure (which is the most important obviously...). I dream about being good at something finally... Being a great guitarist, being able to play to people and enjoying it. But I dont know what I should do because of the above mentioned things. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance

I would say that you're taking your philosophy far too seriously and it's getting in the way of your ability to appreciate the act of playing guitar.

Don't overthink it. don't force it. Instead just play, and allow yourself to enjoy it.

put it this way...

if you're goal is to "get good" you'll likely always be judging yourself and will continue to feel disappointed at your status as a less than "godly" guitarist.

if your goal is to enjoy the act of playing music on your guitar, and you play regularly, "getting good" will be the result.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 10, 2011,
You could use this as an opportunity to shed "playing for others" as a self defeating goal, that ultimately isnt fulfilling you right now, and get back to learning and enjoying the guitar and doing what you want to do to enjoy it on your terms, and if/when opportunities come, jump in and go for it.

Best,

Sean
In order to become highly skilled at the guitar takes a different philosophy, more in the lines of time, dedication, and perseverance. There are things you can do speed up the learning process like taking lessons and putting more practice hours in per day but the fact remains that certain aspects of quality practice are terribly boring but necessary and there are no shortcuts around it.

You need to take a step back and revaluate your goals, are you willing to keep at it even if you don't "enjoy" it 100% of the time? Would you miss the guitar if you gave it up or could you find a more rewarding use of time in a different pursuit?

Only you can answer these questions.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Last edited by BlackbirdPie at Nov 10, 2011,
At my school, I once was in the music class during break.
I just played some chords shit, I looked back up and I got a full audienc of kids just staring lol.
Maybe you should try if you have a music class.
I felt the same way about My bass at a certain point,especially since I could play decently,but my amazing guitarist would pick up my bass and shred like a cheese grater.I realized that what is Im portant is not getting good,but making good music.I am not a skilled bassist by any means,but the music I play is incredible,and having created beautiful music makes all of it awesome.
Give a man a fish and he'll be hungry tomorrow,but put his ass in fishnets and someone will buy him dinner-Gene Simmons
Quote by kiraly5
I have always played by myself, I never had a band or any people to play with, because simply there are no musicians around here.

If you're the only musician in your area you should be able to gain a fanbase quickly as there's no competion. You can have heaps of people going "wow, I thought people only played guitar on TV!".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Man the advice i always got was: " Never Giv Up".

As for your goal i used to be like that. Think that you have been playing for just about 2 years. I have been playing for 7, toured released cd and i still want to learn more and i think i am " small" . Guitar playing is an ongoing process.

Read my free ebook and you will change your opinion : http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/

When i wrote the first 2 chapters it's people like you that i had especially had in mind . I used to be that way. Never give up !
How much have you been practicing those 2 years?
i somehow think i know the answer...

Anyways my advice:

Give up.

Success on anything demands:

-LOVE for that which you do
-Sacrifices
-Effort
-Belief in yourself
-Patience
-Hard llong term oriented work
-Perseverance
- an immense ammount of TIME and dedication.

You obviously lack those, yet want to fill stadiums and surpass all other musicians who have it ? you either work on getting those traits or move on to that which makes you so passionate that you are ready to work for your dream.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Nov 11, 2011,
Relax. And don't worry about others being better than you. This will happen the rest of your life. You have to use it as inspiration to excel. When I see a 14 year old kid on youtube shredding an 80's metal masterpiece that I grew up with, I use it to light a fire inside me. I'm 42, so try being in my shoes when there are so many teenage virtuosos out there.

I have many friends who are much more naturally gifted at guitar than I am. My only advantage is that I work harder at it than some of them do.

if your goal is to enjoy the act of playing music on your guitar, and you play regularly, "getting good" will be the result.

Excellent advice.

Try playing some covers with backing tracks until you can play them in your sleep. Play them over and over until you play through without a mistake. You might not enjoy the means, but you will enjoy the end result.

And concerning the lack of others to jam with: It's highly unlikely you will live forever in your current location. Practice up now, and when you move elsewhere (bigger town, go off to college, etc.) then you will have a huge leg up when you do find some people for jammin. You will become "plug & play" hardware for a band.

Alternatively, if you find yourself at a plateau with playing guitar, then try to integrate something like singing into your playing as your next challenge. Whatever you decide, take small challenges or disiplines and become an expert in that discipline. After mastery of that, then find another chunk to develop expertise. Eventually you will have mastery of many facets of guitar playing.

One bite at a time, man.
Didn't read any of the replies.

It seems to me like your problem is you want to get to the end quickly without putting in the time. Effort-wise, I can't say, because for all I know you're really committed to the guitar. But even for somebody who has "talent" would take time.

Play what you want. Enjoy the instrument.

I say screw playing in front of people. You're ready when you're ready, not ready when you force yourself to get to the point where you're ready.
I only read the title of the thread, but the answer is yes. Always yes.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quit playing guitar? No point in that. Why shouldn't you pick up the guitar whenever you feel like it? But you should definitely stop putting too much pressure on yourself. There's little to gain by force. It'll just make you sick. Maybe you should quit practicing for a while and just play for fun without constantly comparing yourself with others or dreaming of (for the time being) unrealistic goals.
Search actively for other people to make music with and it'll be fun again!