Hello everyone. I come to you with a little problem I have. You see, I live in a very humid country, in which we have 7 months of "winter" (or "rainy" season, as we like to call it). It doesn't help that I live near the mountainous region. For that reason, my strings don't ever last. I have to put a new set of strings almost every week, and as a broken student, that's taking a huge toll on my wallet. So I've decided to move to coated strings, however I only have experience with Elixirs. I've heard D'Addario, Ernie Ball and DR all offer better alternatives. Anyone had any experience with them? My problem with Elixirs is that they don't have a very 'natural' tone. I want a good brand of coated strings that sound relatively close to regular strings, but hopefully last much longer.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Last edited by cxrlxscr at Nov 10, 2011,
I've found that Elixirs lasted longer for me, but my advice would be to just buy a dehumidifier and the strings you actually want. Another trick that I used when it rained in Iraq and I had my acoustic is to keep it in it's case along with a lot of newspaper. You'll have to change the newspaper out often, but it's a worth it chore if you're serious.
Quote by JustRooster
I've found that Elixirs lasted longer for me, but my advice would be to just buy a dehumidifier and the strings you actually want. Another trick that I used when it rained in Iraq and I had my acoustic is to keep it in it's case along with a lot of newspaper. You'll have to change the newspaper out often, but it's a worth it chore if you're serious.

Elixirs for sure. I have a guitar right now that I swear has had Elixir strings on it for over 10 months. I play it 3-4 times a week, and it sits on a rockstand out in the open. The strings still feel like they're at about 80%, and stay in tune just as well as when I first put them on. I keep wanting to change them and then I play the guitar and it simply doesn't need a string change.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
+1 to Elixirs
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Elixers... long lasting but i tad expensive... second in line are ernie ball titanium
???