Page 1 of 2
This may seem obvious to some people, but what I've realized lately is that, it's nearly impossible to find great "metal" guitars that don't have a stupid tremolo on it.
Fortunately, I got my hands on an ESP LTD that they ended up sort of discontinuing, which is kickass. But I don't understand why these companies (Jackson, ESP, Ibanez, etc.) don't make more guitars without the trem than with it. The tremolo is a pointless, stupid feature. I'm not saying this because a can't tune one, I just think it's a waste of time.

anyone else feel this way?
-Gibson SG special - faded brown
-ESP LTD MH400NT w/ EMG 81 - 85
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Well, the trem isn't a complete waste of time, and that's subjective anyways.
But I do agree that guitar companies should produce more guitars without trems.
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Tremolos have their pros and cons.. just like Tune-o-Matics or String-thrus or vintage tremolo's or fixed bridges... I know why some people like FRs and I know why, for example, I do not. I don't find it as a problem that Jackson, ESP or Ibanez use mostly FR type bridges, cause I'm a Gibson guy myself and Gibson guitars mostly do not have tremolos.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

tremolos have a time and a place, i guess most manufacturers think most metallers would rather have a trem. a guitar with a trem can often have the trem blocked so it behaves like a hardtail, but a guitar that is a hardtail can't do what you can do with a tremolo bridge.

so really it's just this extra thing that you either want or you don't and just because it's there, doesn't mean you have to use it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i love fixed bridges and never actually use the trem on my strat. i purposely chose an ltd without a trem because i didn't want one as well. i never use them

that being said, whenever i play a gibson with a bigsby, i feel like those are actually something that's worth having. i just seem to actually use it very subtly and yeah!
The locking of the strings and fine tuners sure are handy. Not everyone uses the thing for the most extreme pitch changes.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Personally I would love it it companies started offering more guitars with a non-floating tremolo. Pretty much everything I do with my trem only requires it to dive, so having the trem tight to the body would eliminate so many problems.
The annoying part about this, is that generally, the brands like gibson, that don't make many guitars with trems, dont really make metal guitars. You'd have to swap out the pickups at the very least.
-Gibson SG special - faded brown
-ESP LTD MH400NT w/ EMG 81 - 85
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
ESP still makes a lot of hard tail metal guitars. Though I completely agree that now and days companies use a FR more often than not. I think a lot of them are doing it now just to add features to a guitar to raise the price a bit.

I loved my M100FM but I would rather have it as a string through or at least a hard tail and id still pay $300 for it. Actually I would be more likely to buy another one for $300 if they did have a hard tail version.
ESP Horizon NT-II

Yeah wassup now?
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
They really don't offer them, and ^ that's an expensive model dude.

I'm getting a JPX7 soon, and I love the fact that I can install a tremol-no and have the stability of a hard tail. They have their place and i'd much rather have a Floyd turned hard tail with the stability of the locking tuners than having to worry about nut worries and other problems that might arise.
Guitars
Musicman BFR JP12
Ibanez RGA121 (Employee Custom)
Ibanez Premium RG927QM
LTD Purple H-1001
Yamaha NTX700
ltd - eclipse

schecter has a bunch of models without trems

charvel
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by W METALLICA W
This may seem obvious to some people, but what I've realized lately is that, it's nearly impossible to find great "metal" guitars that don't have a stupid tremolo on it.
Fortunately, I got my hands on an ESP LTD that they ended up sort of discontinuing, which is kickass. But I don't understand why these companies (Jackson, ESP, Ibanez, etc.) don't make more guitars without the trem than with it. The tremolo is a pointless, stupid feature. I'm not saying this because a can't tune one, I just think it's a waste of time.

anyone else feel this way?

Well, it depends on what you mean by "metal". Sharp/pointy? Or just good for playing metal? There are tons of amazing guitars with non-trem bridges (Carvin, Jackson, Ibanez, etc etc), so I don't really get your complaint. Jackson has everything from lower end to super high end "metal guitars" available with non-trem bridges.

And the answer to why those companies make more guitars with trems than without is simple - because customers demanded it. If floyds weren't wanted, there'd be a whole lot less of them. That's like asking "why do so many metal guitars come with EMGs". Because it's often a staple of heavy metal playing, and tons of players want it/request it. Companies build what the public demands, otherwise things don't sell. Common sense.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
ESP/LTD do pretty much all there model's in fixed bridges and floyds as far as i'm aware.
Quote by W METALLICA W
The annoying part about this, is that generally, the brands like gibson, that don't make many guitars with trems, dont really make metal guitars. You'd have to swap out the pickups at the very least.

are you listening with your eyes?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by T.Bilson
ESP/LTD do pretty much all there model's in fixed bridges and floyds as far as i'm aware.

This.

There was a thread exactly like this a while ago, but complaining about Jacksons only having Floyds.

Basically what was agreed upon is that you just suck at looking at/for guitars. These brands you mention all have tons of guitars, in both fixed bridge and tremolo bridge variants.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I feel this way but it's not about trems, it's about frigging EMGs. ;_; Can I not get a guitar with a Floyd/Kahler and passives in lefty that doesn't have a Wizard neck? D= xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I'll be honest though, I'm really annoyed with A LOT of Ibanez's with tremolos. Mainly because I can never get the exact model I want that doesn't have a floating trem.

I'm speaking of the S series. Love the guitars to death, hate the bridge, to death
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
Quote by W METALLICA W

Who the hell told you this line of BS?

Hell I play metal on a Tele all the time, and if you gave me a Rickenbacker I'd play some sweet metal on that too. 99% of it is the player not the guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
sme great guitarists can do some amazing things with a trem. it doesnt have to be crazy metal stuff, think Mick Mars on dr. feelgood. his entire solo and crazy little into lead part ar examples of very tasteful use of a floyd. you can make those sounds any other way (you can get away with some other trems if they are good, but sometimes a floyd is a floyd and you can tell wen somebody is using one).

Van Halen and dimebag? floyd. nothing else. must have floyd.

dude...some of the most famous metalheads on earth used gibsons les pauls, explorers, and V. that statement is crazy.
Last edited by ikey_ at Nov 10, 2011,
Your just not looking hard enough.

That and the fact that these huge companies who spend millions on R&D see fit to put trems on more guitars than not. Would suggest that actually, its you who is at fault.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I hate Floyd Roses as wells.

I also scored an ESP LTD, a "F400FM" and I love it. Sold my Jackson a day later. Lol.

Good riddance.
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
(Not 100% sure but I believe) All guitars with trems can become hardtail/blocked, but not all hardtails can be "trem-ed". If there was a hardtail and a trem guitar for the same price, I'd possibly go for the trem, simply because you can block it if you dont need it, and ta-da you have a hard tail guitar! *

* I am however unsure about string changes work, and this whole post is hypothetical and I am unsure if it would actually work that well. All my guitars are hard-tail and I love them.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by Blompcube
are you listening with your eyes?

srsly. burstbuckers and even 57 classics do metal pretty great
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by zl1288
There's plenty of great metal guitars with fixed bridges...

Absolutely.

The problem is there's plenty more with floating trems.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Absolutely.

The problem is there's plenty more with floating trems.

TS was complaining that it's nearly impossible to find a metal guitar with a fixed bridge... It's not. The fact that there are more guitars with floating bridges isn't a problem, it's just what consumers demand.
Any guitar can play metal.

So that means that there are more fixed bridge metal guitars out there than ones with trems. Where is your god now TS?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

most guitar manufactureres make one model with trem, one without. i dont see it hard to find. the only thing that does suck though is that unless you are paying $1,000 or so most of the time you will get a shitty floyd, that leads to problem after problem. jackson for example: DKMG v. DKMGT has trem, doesnt have trem (respectivley). really the only guitars that aren't produced with only trem or without trem are signatures, because that artist likely only has their one model reproduced.

Quote by icronic
Personally I would love it it companies started offering more guitars with a non-floating tremolo. Pretty much everything I do with my trem only requires it to dive, so having the trem tight to the body would eliminate so many problems.

god i was thinking the exact opposite thing. i was looking for the longsest time for a full floater and could only really find 'dive only' models out there (wolfgangs, charvel (at least on the socal), and some more others i can't think of atm). however i bit it and got an ibanez pristege and got used to a thin neck. which really wasn't ideal, but its not as hard to switch neck profiles as everybody makes it to be.

as somebody stated without the EMG's, i wish there were more with that option. its nice ESP/LTD on at least the 1000 series offer actives or passives (i am not sure about their lower models) as well as the lower end ESP's (exclipse,etc.).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by EspTro
srsly. burstbuckers and even 57 classics do metal pretty great

exactly. gibsons don't look 'metal' but that doesn't mean they can't do metal without any modifications. i wouldn't be at all surprised if a lot of the metal guitarists with endorsements with companies like schecter actually used old gibsons and stuff in the studio

Quote by Blompcube
exactly. gibsons don't look 'metal' but that doesn't mean they can't do metal without any modifications. i wouldn't be at all surprised if a lot of the metal guitarists with endorsements with companies like schecter actually used old gibsons and stuff in the studio

my main 'metal' guitar is a gibson. i picked up a Gothic V a few weeks ago with a 496R and a 500t, and damn it gets nice and heavey. before that i used a Gibson LP for metal for three years prior.

i am suprised how many times you see different gear than their endorsers' gear when they are in the studio, or even the dummy stacks with a different amp mic'd up in the back at a show.

i completely agree with you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
As a Tremolo wh0re and as someone who likes spending over 2 hours getting them just right, I couldn't really care.
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
Last edited by kandex at Nov 11, 2011,
Quote by zl1288
TS was complaining that it's nearly impossible to find a metal guitar with a fixed bridge... It's not. The fact that there are more guitars with floating bridges isn't a problem, it's just what consumers demand.

He also used the word 'great.' Maybe he just can't find one that he thinks is really great. No point getting worked up about it. If you can't help him don't just tell him he's wrong.

For any of us to really be able to help you, TS you need to give us at the very least a price range and a location (country.)

EDIT: Whoops. Just realised you said you already found one...
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Nov 11, 2011,
Quote by W METALLICA W
The tremolo is a pointless, stupid feature. I'm not saying this because a can't tune one, I just think it's a waste of time.

So, just because you don't like tremolos, they're pointless, stupid and a waste of time? How mature.
I have no sig
Last edited by Mr Winters at Nov 11, 2011,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Who the hell told you this line of BS?

Hell I play metal on a Tele all the time, and if you gave me a Rickenbacker I'd play some sweet metal on that too. 99% of it is the player not the guitar.

No that guy is right, clearly we cant play metal on our guitars or consider them "metal" guitars, unless theyre black and have EMGs. BRB, going out to get black spray paint and EMGs for my PRS
Yeah, it certainly does limit options when you don't want a tremolo. I recently bought a new(well, new to me) guitar. My Les Paul that I had owned for 12 years was stolen. I'm not in a financial situation to replace it right now, so I went looking for something in the $2-300 range just so I have something to play until I can get another Les Paul.

Even though I wasn't spending a lot of money, ideally I wanted to also find something I liked to hang on to as an additional guitar when I eventually get another LP. I was pretty much in the market for what I you'd consider a "metal" guitar(not that the style of your music is in any way dictated by your instrument).

Well I ended up with this used(buy in perfect condition other than the plastic tip on the pickup selector missing) made in Indonesia ESP LTD MH100QMNT at Guitar Center for $130. I'm without a doubt keeping this thing. I must have really lucked out on the build quality because the fretwork is awesome, the quilt top is pretty nice, it's just one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever had in my hands. A couple friends that have picked it up also commented on how easy to play and comfortable it feels. Makes me really want to pick up a real Horizon someday since this is basically just a much cheaper version of it.
Quote by Dysprosium
made in Indonesia ESP LTD MH100QMNT at Guitar Center for $130. I'm without a doubt keeping this thing. I must have really lucked out on the build quality because the fretwork is awesome, the quilt top is pretty nice, it's just one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever had in my hands. A couple friends that have picked it up also commented on how easy to play and comfortable it feels. Makes me really want to pick up a real Horizon someday since this is basically just a much cheaper version of it.

You didnt luck out, the keyword there is ESP. Thats just the way they roll. lol
TS got the butthurtz.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

can this thread die yet? weve established that were all wrong but that 1 guy is right and esp/les paul
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Page 1 of 2