Okay so I've just got back from my local college's open evening. Initially I decided I wanted to do Music Technology but upon looking at the course it looks horrible. I'd much rather do Music as it involves playing your own instrument, not messing about with recording. Now the only problem I have is that as an entry requirement you need a grade 5 or above in your chosen instrument. Now I'm an able guitarist and I'd like to know how to obtain a grade 5? Can you jump straight to grade 5 or do you have to work your way up?

Any help in how i go about doing this would be greatly appreciated!
Most likely if you can provide them with evidence of musical experience you will not need to have a grade 5 certificate. You will most likely also have to audition so just pick an easy piece from ABRSM grade 5 classical repetoire or a piece from Grade 5 trinity Rockschool and play that at the audition... that will demonstrate your ability to perform at a grade 5 level. If you need grade 5 theory just read up on some things quickly, you'll catch on at least enough to bluff your way through an interview probably.
Try the Rockschool grades. They're easy when compared to other exam boards.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
You really need to contact the school. Most academic institutions that ask for grade whatever as an audition requirement only want classical or jazz.

You could go in and play rockschool grade-anything-you-want and you won't get in.

Contact the school and ask how to get a syllabus for the grades so that you can pick some appropriate pieces to learn.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
College meaning equivalent to 6th form?

You can play a grade 5 rockschool piece and get in. Depending on how many people they have apply for the course you might get in even if your playing standard is less than grade 5.
Not at the community college in my city...

http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/media-entertainment-programs/music/auditions/requirements-by-instrument-major.html

The university in my city requires classical or jazz (I know because I spent five years there...), auditioning at about grade 8-10 level (ie. very difficult)

http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/audition/index.html

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

One thing that I usually ask is "if you weren't interested in learning before, why would you be interested now?". I know it sounds super awesome to go to uni and play guitar every day, but are you really into music theory?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by axemanchris
Not at the community college in my city...

http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/media-entertainment-programs/music/auditions/requirements-by-instrument-major.html

The university in my city requires classical or jazz (I know because I spent five years there...), auditioning at about grade 8-10 level (ie. very difficult)

http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/audition/index.html

CT

In the UK college is between highschool and university, i assumed he meant that because I don't think any university level college would have an entry requirement of only grade 5.

If he meant university level college, you need at least grade 8 on your primary instrument.
Quote by griffRG7321
In the UK college is between highschool and university, i assumed he meant that because I don't think any university level college would have an entry requirement of only grade 5.

Actually, you're basically correct as to how it applies here too. You get a diploma from a college, but a degree from a university.

But even our community colleges - at least most of them - aren't interested in anything resembling a rock school grade. Classical or jazz. Period.

Quote by griffRG7321

If he meant university level college, you need at least grade 8 on your primary instrument.

Also correct.

CT

Yes I mean 6th form college. I am interested in music and have enjoyed and achieved so far in my GCSE. I'll also be taking Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics so I'm taking this as a light(er) option.