ok, so i already made my tele body, and now i'm working on a lp body (ash and quilted maple) and i was wanting to do a transparent white finish, with 3 ply black binding.

how do you go about doing the binding like on the gibby customs? is it painted on, or???
Quote by McFadden
An edge is routed around the body and is glued on and trimmed

thanks mcfadden. i was under the impression that most of the time its painted on.
I'm about to start on a similar project, so make sure you post plenty of pics! I believe the McFadden's method is most common for LP's, and I know that it's how Gibson do theirs. Having said that, there's no reason you couldn't do a faux binding - it'd save a lot of time, but may not look as good as the real thing.
Building a tele just now......toyed with the idea of binding the body. but decided on just the neck and f hole instead. Using the cherry edge of the top as a natural binding.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Noooo, epiphones have real binding. Epiphones are not that cheap either. Unless you're loaded, $400 is not chump change.

In the grand scope of things, guitars specifically, 400 dollars is cheap.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by LeviMan_2001
It's never painted on, unless the guitar is suuuuuuper el cheapo

Price doesn't factor into this a lot... That Paul Landers ESP sig had them painted on and that cost a pretty penny. Painting them on requires a lot of work with masking and stuff, so it's really a rather inefficient way of doing it and will cost more.

...it also looks like shit most of the time, even on the PL ESP.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Noooo, epiphones have real binding. Epiphones are not that cheap either. Unless you're loaded, $400 is not chump change.

go look at custom blackback, zakk wylde, and the royale.

they are painted on, rather soppily too. actually... the custom blackback was just repainted from a lp custom i'm told.