I want to buy a new head (either JCM 800, Dual Rectifier or Rockerverb) but I want a small cab like 1 x 12 maybe 2 x 12. Personally I think it sounds better and I'd be using this for tracking and maybe small gigs. What you would guys recommend?

I know Orange makes a cool little cab http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/orange-amplifiers-ppc-series-ppc112-60w-1x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet/424051000386000 but I don't know if it could handle those heads.
My budget is 0 - 1300 for the head and 400-700 for the cab. I'd like used so I could save a little money of course. I definitely need cleans but I also want to play some metal (i.e. Mastodon, Slayer, RATM, Pantera). The guitar I primarily play is a custom strat I built or a Charvel So-Cal Style.
Quote by Soad_Soda
I want to buy a new head (either JCM 800, Dual Rectifier or Rockerverb)

they make different versions of the rockerverb and JCM800. but i'll assume you need to facilitate a 100 watt head.

Quote by Soad_Soda
but I want a small cab like 1 x 12 maybe 2 x 12. Personally I think it sounds better and I'd be using this for tracking and maybe small gigs. What you would guys recommend?

i have an orange PPC212 that i loaded with a couple of webers; it's big and heavy and sounds brilliant. i later bought a crate 1x12 and i switch out the speaker for my needs; it's small light and pretty good if i use the right speaker.

i wouldn't recommend a 2x12 if you wanna travel real light. if weight takes priority then i'd go 1x12 and get a 100 watt speaker. eminence makes a number of options, weber has a few 100 watt speaker (i recommend their 100 watt alnico silver bell).

if you want a bit bigger tone and don't mind pulling a 2x12 around then i'd recommend it. if gives you more options of what speakers you can run (like scumbacks or V30's, cuz you can run two and meet power handling) and allows you to mix and match speakers (which really helps fill out the tone).

avatar offers nice options at nice prices.

Quote by Soad_Soda
I know Orange makes a cool little cab http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/orange-amplifiers-ppc-series-ppc112-60w-1x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet/424051000386000 but I don't know if it could handle those heads.

it's cool, big for a 1x12 and closed back. this means it's have a bit of bump and a good low end. the stock speaker for the PPC112 should be a V30 rated at 60 watts, which isn't enough power handling for your needs. you could replace it with that weber or a G12K-100 though.

avatar offers a clone of orange cabinets (the contemporary models) for about a little over half the price.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
oh, that is helpful

Quote by Soad_Soda
My budget is 0 - 1300 for the head and 400-700 for the cab.

you should be able to stay under that.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/list%20guitar.htm

i have also gotten great deals on the used market. so keep your eyes open on craig's list. avatar lets you get whatever speakers you want though and that is a bonus.

Quote by Soad_Soda
I'd like used so I could save a little money of course. I definitely need cleans but I also want to play some metal (i.e. Mastodon, Slayer, RATM, Pantera). The guitar I primarily play is a custom strat I built or a Charvel So-Cal Style.

something like a V30 and G12K-100 probably would cover your bases. if you get a 1x12 a G12K-100 would work, though it'd be a bit stiff and sterile and won't add much color to the signal (has great low end and distortion tones though, lots of punch).

-ae
Wow, by far the most helpful answer I've gotten on this site. Thanks so much. Avatar looks like a good way to go definitely. I'm going to go play the heads the weekend and see which I like but for a cab I'll probably listen to you on this. Thanks again.
I got an Avatar 212 four years ago and it has been one of the best purchases I've ever made. Vintage 30s all the way.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by Soad_Soda
Wow, by far the most helpful answer I've gotten on this site. Thanks so much. Avatar looks like a good way to go definitely. I'm going to go play the heads the weekend and see which I like but for a cab I'll probably listen to you on this. Thanks again.

hey, thx. i hate always suggesting the V30 and G12K-100 combo, but it seems like that is what people on this site seem to want.

if you do decide on the head first, then make a new thread for speaker suggestions. we may be able to fine tune cab and speaker choice to your head

-ae