What's the difference between a normal Les Paul and a Wraptail?
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
Wow.... I guess I didn't notice that thank you =)
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
The very first Les Paul's, starting in '52, had a trapeze-style tailpiece bridge, with no ability to adjust the intonation. Plus, the strings wrapped UNDER the trapeze bridge, making palm-muting impossible. Supposedly this misdesign was due to a miscommunication during the design and introduction to manufacture of the first Les Pauls.

The wraptail is still one piece, but at least the strings wrap OVER the bridge...

The separate stop bar and bridge (as in the Tune-o-matic) provides a better arrangement for adjusting the intonation of each string.

Someone who's a Les Paul expert can probably correct the above, but I think this gives the basic idea.
Quote by rschleicher
The very first Les Paul's, starting in '52, had a trapeze-style tailpiece bridge, with no ability to adjust the intonation. Plus, the strings wrapped UNDER the trapeze bridge, making palm-muting impossible. Supposedly this misdesign was due to a miscommunication during the design and introduction to manufacture of the first Les Pauls.

The wraptail is still one piece, but at least the strings wrap OVER the bridge...

The separate stop bar and bridge (as in the Tune-o-matic) provides a better arrangement for adjusting the intonation of each string.

Someone who's a Les Paul expert can probably correct the above, but I think this gives the basic idea.

many people argue that the wrapover provides a better connection between the body and the strings and allows them to interact a lot more giving you a more resonant tone.

although you will get better intonation from a tune-o-matic, without a doubt.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Wraptail Gibson Les Paul:

(Invalid img)

Regular Gibson with Tune-o-Matic bridge:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Doesn't Joe Bonamassa have a standard tune-o-matic bridge on his LP's, screwed down tight and with the strings fed over the top like the "wraptail"?
Quote by deano_l
Doesn't Joe Bonamassa have a standard tune-o-matic bridge on his LP's, screwed down tight and with the strings fed over the top like the "wraptail"?

Yes he does that... It's to reduce the angle of the strings accross the bridge saddles... On most of his guitars he uses nylon saddles to help lessen the Brightness.

I've strung mine up that way once... with standard saddles, mine doesn't stay in tune as well...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Nov 11, 2011,
Quote by deano_l

As far as I know he does a wrapover, he puts the stoptail againist the body and wraps the strings over the stoptail the wrong way. Used to do it with my les paul. I thought it made a difference, the stoptail seemed to transmit vibration better like that.

Going to a PRS wraparound at least, I do think that they sound better, but its hard to know comparing two guitars for anything.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
top wrapping isn't for everyone.

joe b likes it.

others don't.

try it, if you like it great. if not, great.

have a nice day.