I am going to be building an addition onto my house. One of the rooms will be my music room. I would like to build it so that the noise inside is as low as possible to other rooms and the outside world. Any suggestions? I am thinking of building a room within a room.
Wood on the walls and a carpet on the floor are nice to prevent noise problems. There is also the grey foam used to cover the walls of studios. If you put all of those you should get a nice noise prof room. You will need to close the windows, cover the door and get an AC.
Okay.... you've obviously got a serious budget to work with, as you're putting an addition on your house. A couple thousand extra dollars won't make much of a difference either way.

This is good. Very, very good.

Also, you're planning for this in advance. To do it right, you need to be. And you're looking at the idea of a room within a room, so you're prepared with a little bit of knowledge and still haven't said, "nah, too much bother." Awesome.

Here is a book that is an absolute MUST HAVE:
http://www.amazon.ca/Home-Recording-Studio-Build-Like/dp/1598630342

It can get pretty technical in places, where it needs to be, but overall, it is a pretty friendly read. I own it, and it is absolutely essential for anyone who wants to learn about studio construction and soundproofing. I really can't recommend it enough.

The other thing you need to do is go to the following forum:
http://johnlsayers.com/

John Sayers designs and builds studios into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. He is a regular poster on his own forum. You know who else is a regular poster on that forum? Rod Gervais! Yes, the author of that book!

There is SO much knowledge from people there who are SO genuinely willing to help you that I can't imagine there being a better resource on the web. Obviously, I think UG is a great forum, but it's a guitar forum, basically. The Sayers forum is exclusively about acoustics and studio design and construction and goes SO much beyond what anyone here could offer.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by marianoarnaiz
Wood on the walls and a carpet on the floor are nice to prevent noise problems. There is also the grey foam used to cover the walls of studios. If you put all of those you should get a nice noise prof room.

You don't get noise proof from what you put on the walls and floor. You get noise proof from what you put the walls and floor on.

Quote by marianoarnaiz

You will need to close the windows, cover the door and get an AC.

Which raises probably the most compelling dilemma about soundproofing. If air can get out, then sound can get out. If air can't get out, then air can't get in.

More later... gotta step out.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
This looks like a resource to answer just about any question I could have for building a studio. Thanks