Some of you guys had better be calling your credit card companies.

An IM is being sent out to all Steam users. Here are the details straight from Gabe:

“Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked.”

Valve are “still investigating” the situation. They mention that there’s been no evidence of illegal credit card activity as yet, and that it’s probably a good idea to change both your Steam passwords. To do that, access Settings from the Steam menu within the client.

Article goes on to say that apparently they'd just rolled out new security too. Guess it worked eh?

SHEdit: Sauce, sorry about that.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Last edited by SteveHouse at Nov 10, 2011,
Quote by SteveHouse

Article goes on to say that apparently they'd just rolled out new security too. Guess it worked eh?

May we have link to article. I have dozens of purchases on Steam
Quote by metaldud536
May we have link to article. I have dozens of purchases on Steam

lolderp. Fixing

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Now all that's left is Xbox Live amiright?
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Thank god I never leave any bank info. But why Steam? Hack Origin or something.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by Cavalcade
Shiiiit. Thanks for the update, changing my pass and checking my bank account now.

Kinda futile now. The damage has already been done.
ggg1 ggg3

If these cunts steal from me, I'll kill myself. It's taken me so long to earn the minuscule amount of money I have to my name, and I'll need it if I want to move out next year.
Quote by behind_you
Kinda futile now. The damage has already been done.

No it isn't. There's absolutely nothing futile about checking your bank account for charges you didn't make. If you notice any you can contact the bank and file a "hey I didn't buy this shit, close out my card and get this charge stopped."

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
No it isn't. There's absolutely nothing futile about checking your bank account for charges you didn't make. If you notice any you can contact the bank and file a "hey I didn't buy this shit, close out my card and get this charge stopped."

I was mainly referring to the 'change password' comment
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you
I was mainly referring to the 'change password' comment

That's even less futile. The worst they can do with your account is buy Steam products. With your identity information they can buy all the things. The sooner you change that pass, the less they can buy with your card on Steam, which is silly to think is worse because of the sheer numbers involved.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
That's even less futile. The worst they can do with your account is buy Steam products. With your identity information they can buy all the things. The sooner you change that pass, the less they can buy with your card on Steam, which is silly to think is worse because of the sheer numbers involved.

+1

Don't hesitate to do this.
Password changed and bank statement checked. All is good.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Changed my actual steam password, no other passwords have my steam forum password and I'll be monitoring my bank account, I'm safe, I think.
At least they notified it faster than Sony.
Who knows, there might be a few tf2 hats as compensation.. that's like catnip to the TF2 community. If the TF2 community were cats.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Pretty miffed that you can't change your password online. I have to spend precious downloads updating steam before I can protect myself.
Quote by SteveHouse

You're assuming that the hackers are just a bunch of regular Joes that want to use other people's account money to buy steam products. Of course if they were, you'd be right. However, elite hackers would be able to rape your online account up the ass long before you realize what just went down.

Of course this is assuming that the group responsible for this are professionals (ie Anonymous.)
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you
professionals (ie Anonymous.)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Hence why you should use Paypal

Edit: This post was made at 11:11 AM 11/11/2011 Aussie time
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Nov 10, 2011,
Quote by Cianyx
Hence why you should use Paypal

I can't remember if I used Paypal. I hope I used Paypal.