So I've been dissatisfied with the comfort of my Epi Sheraton II neck since the day I got it. I love the warm smooth sound that I get out of it, but the neck feels brittle and awkward, and the strings feel hard and harsh (currently using Slinky mediums). I don't mind if for doodling for half an hour, but after an hour or so, it starts to get uncomfortable (I can play my strat for hours without problems though). I've read flatwounds are (arguably) more comfortable, but I don't want to completely lose all the highs/chime from the roundwounds, what would be the outcome of putting on all flatwounds except for the G and B stings, which would remain roundwounds (I'm still toying with the idea of which strings would be what). Would the different sting tensions mess up the neck?

Thanks in advance
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
flatwounds are not more comfortable.

plus they are tensioned differently from regular strings so you'd have to do a bit of math to mix them.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Flatwounds are just different. They feel smoother, but harder to slide around on I think. The also tend to sound warmer than rounds, at least to my ears.
Maybe try a lighter gauge?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Yeah I've tried lighter gauges, but then the neck feels too crude, and if I put some heavier strings, the neck feel too brittle. I've made multiple threads on asking for a remedy, but nothing has worked yet, and it's a shame because I really want to love this guitar... I love the sounds it makes, I just can't play it for more than a hour at a time =(

I'll try switching them to flatwounds and greasing them up with the fretslide stuff (although I feel like that stuff is just a gimmick) tonight, and if after a few days (so the neck adjusts) it feels worse, I'll go back to roundwounds. Any suggestions on a flatwound brand/gauge? I'll probably get something in the medium-light gauge, but I don't know much about flatwounds other than they're warmer and used often for jazz styles.
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Could just be the guitar... Perhaps the neck profile on the Sheraton just isn't for you...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
The G, B, and E are identical on flatwound and roundwound sets. You'll notice that they're not wound strings on your current roundwound set (unless you have a very large gauge) - it's the same on flatwounds. They're just plain strings, no winding. No difference whatsoever.

Anyway, flatwounds are softer to the touch, but they're harder to play and bending becomes a chore. It sounds like you just need to go down a gauge, or adjust your action. If you haven't changed the strings in a while it may just be crappy old strings.
Yeah I do think (read: know) that the Sheraton II profile isn't for me; I'm usually more comfortable with Fender C necks, and the Sheraton has more of a D profile. So I did put some flatwounds last night and I love what it does to the tone, but the neck still feels weird... I probably should go get it set up and see if that helps... this guitar... I've spent too much time and money to get it where I want it to be (more than it's worth), and it's still not right... reminds me of the time I had a really cute gf that treated me like crap... I wanted to love her but common sense knows better =(