I've been thinking about this for a while and I see no reason for it no to be possible, but you guys could prove me wrong:

I want to add a high C (or is it E?) string to my old bass (Ibanez GSR200) by simply unstringing the lot of it and moving them all up one "run", in which I'd knock out my standard E string.

Is that possible?
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
In short, yes, it's possible. The string you add could be tuned any way you wish, but the most common next high string is a C. Of course, you might also need to do some intonation and truss rod adjustments for tension, but that goes without saying for more ambitious string changes.

The only issue that I can think of is the possibility of the strings being loose in the nut slots. I've never had experience with this sort of change, though. I've seen 5 strings with a high C instead of a low B (sometimes referred to as "Jazz 5s").
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Last edited by graybass_20x6 at Nov 10, 2011,
Quote by graybass_20x6
In short, yes, it's possible. The string you add could be tuned any way you wish, but the most common next high string is a C. Of course, you might also need to do some intonation and truss rod adjustments for tension, but that goes without saying for more ambitious string changes.

The only issue that I can think of is the possibility of the strings being loose in the nut slots. I've never had experience with this sort of change, though. I've seen 5 strings with a high C instead of a low B (sometimes referred to as "Jazz 5s").

thats how i have my 5 string tuned, but in drop d.
if i did have all my gear in my sig, id have to change it weekly

"I tried to talk to you and you just kept playing"
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."
I would like to do that to my 5-string but I'd be far too worried about damaging it.
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
Quote by InstantAXonHero
I would like to do that to my 5-string but I'd be far too worried about damaging it.

There's not much to worry about. There is a chance you would damage the nut. If you put a bigger string in a slot that's too small, the nut can snap. That can easily be prevented by filing the slot bigger. Sometimes a small string in a loose slot will buzz. Of course, any string will wear away at the slot when you tune, but a small string will wear quicker. These are all trivial problems, a replacement nut is going to cost as much for shipping as the item itself, or you can go to a local shop and pay 4 times what they are online.