I think buddy is confusing inspiration with outright plagiarism.

EDIT: Also he's wrong.
My God, it's full of stars!
I think this is more about stealing concepts rather than complete works. You can't claim someone else's painting to be your own, but you can use what you've learned from it in your own work.

I think this is more about taking inspiration from as many sources as possible.
Well I'd definitely advise against the "don't bother concealing your thievery" tip. lrn2burglary
Quote by Zoot Allures
Ever listened to blues music?

No, never, what is the blue?
My God, it's full of stars!
I like bands whose influences are worn on their sleeves. Tom Waits ripped off Captain Beefheart, Outkast ripped off Prince, The Mars Volta rip off Krautrock bands.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Fixed.

An ironic 'fixed' if ever i saw one. Led Zep got in trouble for ripping off blues music and loads of blues songs are obvious rip offs of other blues songs. If you want i can go into great detail on that but if you've ever listened to any blues you know how it is. I don't think this is a bad thing though
Quote by Zoot Allures
You know what he means Creative ideas and so forth

Lulz.

Yeah, I'd agree with the quote. It's pretty low to steal an idea without at least giving credit, though, but I strongly support "quoting" other music and so on.
Quote by Zoot Allures
An ironic 'fixed' if ever i saw one. Led Zep got in trouble for ripping off blues music and loads of blues songs are obvious rip offs of other blues songs. If you want i can go into great detail on that but if you've ever listened to any blues you know how it is. I don't think this is a bad thing though

It only counts if you use it to create something new, I think. I assume that based on Jim being the one who said this. An example would be Ghost Dog, which borrows heavily from chanbara films but creates something completely new and modern with it. A lot of which were borrowed from Shakespeare themselves.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

What about creating something original from someone elses work ala The Residents?

I can understand where that quote is coming from but, it seems like the guy has mixed up 'steal' with 'draw inspiration from', most likely on purpose too.
I think he's just using extremes to get a point across.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by due 07
Lulz.

Yeah, I'd agree with the quote. It's pretty low to steal an idea without at least giving credit, though, but I strongly support "quoting" other music and so on.

I say this as i've apparently ripped off a muse song recently, although the riff is only 4 notes going down the Dminor scale, and it's the same progression as Neil Young does in 'like a hurricane' really, so im not sure it counts.

It got me thinking, there are loads of songs with these same changes in rock music, and thus this thread arrived because i've justified this to myself >_>
^I think it depends on how similar it sounds.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Zoot Allures
I say this as i've apparently ripped off a muse song recently, although the riff is only 4 notes going down the Dminor scale, and it's the same progression as Neil Young does in 'like a hurricane' really, so im not sure it counts.

It got me thinking, there are loads of songs with these same changes in rock music, and thus this thread arrived because i've justified this to myself >_>

The reason alot of stuff in music can sound similar is because, more often that not, it is the stuff that is tried and true.

I'll quote David Cross (King Crimson) here:
I think the Spice Girls are wonderful, despite the fact that their music is simple, but it works. I admire what they do, I admire anybody who can manipulate three chords, or one chord and five notes, and make something out of it that people enjoy.

It's easy to be original. It's near-impossible to be original and successful. And I mean being 100% original: making your own unique instruments, making your own language, making your own scales. etc.

This is only a hypothetical situation but, you get what I mean.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
It's a well-written message, and the message is a valid and correct one. Of course there is originality, but it is always a result of inspiration or some sort of influence from somewhere/someone in your life. This is the common meaning of originality today, yet many people don't think about it so much.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
I definitely agree with Jean-Luc Godard. I agree with aspects of the rest of the quote. I think if you steal something, you have to make it your own, and even then it's not necessarily 'right.'
Quote by Jack Off Jill
^I think it depends on how similar it sounds.

Probably, the thing is i didn't do it intentionally, i'm not a big muse fan really, i like a few songs here and there. Then there's also the fact that even if it's similar, it will probably sound like my band once it's made into a song.

Tbh, given that it's similar i'd try to shy away from using it, but i introduced it before i was told it was similar and now my other singer / guitar player has all these cool ideas with it, so i think i have to use it.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Nov 10, 2011,
Quote by Zoot Allures
Probably, the thing is i didn't do it intentionally, i'm not a big muse fan really, i like a few songs here and there. Then there's also the fact that even if it's similar, it will probably sound like my band once it's made into a song.

Tbh, given that it's similar i'd try to shy away from using it, but i introduced it before i was told it was similar and now my other singer / guitar player has all these cool ideas with it, so i think i have to use it.

You should be fine if the other instruments are doing something different, I think.
Quote by vintage x metal

What muse song did it sound similar to anyway?
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
It's bullshit really. Just know the difference between plagiarising and taking inspiration from something.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?