Page 1 of 2
My mesa single rec head wont make sound all the sudden. It's plugged into my randall warhead cab. It was being really quiet lately (not reaching the volume a halfstack should, or even coming close to it used to) so i decided to mess around with some settings and change cables/whatever but nothing fixed the problem. Then i went to turn it back on and now it wont produce sound at all.

As a sidenote I havent played it frequently lately at all, only when I come home from college for the weekend.

What can I do to try and fix this? Any help at all would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance!
Are the tubes lighting up?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Sounds like tooobz.

Sry I couldn't be more helpful. Lol. I would try a tube change and see if that helps.

My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
its it an instrument cable? or a speaker cable?(connecting cab and head) i assume you have sense but just checking
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
The tubes are in fact glowing orangey....

I usually use a speaker cable but i thought maybe it died so i tried an instrument one but no bones...
Last edited by TheMastodon at Nov 10, 2011,
Never use an instrument cable, it can **** the hell out of your amp.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by TheMastodon
The tubes are in fact glowing orangey....

This part is fine.

Quote by TheMastodon

I usually use a speaker cable but i thought maybe it died so i tried an instrument one but no bones...

This part is not fine.
Will keep in mind.........

Also: when i put the output all the way up, its very very very quiet but i can hear some noise. Does this change things?
^if you are turning it all the way up with the intrument cable then stop right now.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by TheMastodon
Will keep in mind.........

Also: when i put the output all the way up, its very very very quiet but i can hear some noise. Does this change things?

Noise or actual playing sound?
If noise = big problem likely.
If quiet playing = bad tubes.
have you made sure the cables are in right like pushed them in and tried each end?
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Hahahaha, im not turning it all the way up with an instrument cable. I tried an instrument cable for a very short period of time and it did not work, I was just checking to see if the other one was dead.

And very very quiet playing.
^Probably bad power tubes.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Its not the tubes. I had the same thing happen with my peavey 6505+. I replaced the tubes, both pre amp and power amp tubes. This did not work. I also tried to change the cables. Your issue, if it is the same thing my amp experienced is an issue with the pre-amp. I had mine replaced and the amp now works just fine.

FYI, i was experiencing the same symptoms: no output, even though the tubes glow. Also, the output would drop out periodically, until it stopped all together.
Same thing, very very quiet, and then these tubes started to glow blue in the middle. I turned the amp off.....

As they went blue, I heard a high pitched squealing.........

I'm sad
^not good. and schecter6, you saying you had your whole preamp replaced?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
at least with my head, the pre-amp was about $400 directly from peavey. then you have to pay for labor. I could only imagine what it would cost for a mesa. Also, you would probably have to find a mesa authorized dealer.

Honestly, i dont know if it is worth it for you to have it replaced or to just get a new amp unless the amp is still covered under the warranty. Luckily I knew the person who could fix it, so i only had to pay for the pre-amp. Otherwise i would have been looking at a bill of at least $700 for parts and labor.
I don't think this is his problem at all.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
@bluestrat: i had to replace the pre-amp circuit board.

if the warranty is up for only a month, they should be willing to work with you.
Ill see if Cath is on. He and a few others should be able to help you out.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Thats not too forward at all
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Cath isn't on right now so just hold on a bit while I summon someone else. This might keep you busy for a min or two:

Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
idk mesas are obviously not peaveys, so i could be wrong. Im just telling you what i had to do to fix my amp experiencing the same symptoms.
1. Sup Paul.
2. yeah, that doesn't sound good at all. Um, as far as fixing it I have no idea, wait till Cath or someone else knowledgeable (CECamps, Min)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm not an amp wizard like those other guys Bluestrat mentioned, but it is possible that the old and the new'ish power tubes are dead

I'd spray the tube pins with some contact cleaner (Radio Shack) and work it and out of the sockets real good. Let it dry. Then try the amp again. Swap the power tubes around - they work in pairs. Blue is not bad but super bright red is. If that happens then unplug the amp and take it to a tech.

You can also try the same thing basically with the preamp tubes.
^ you're alot more helpful than myself. My knowledge is limited quite a bit.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
You might just have to take it to a tech man. It sucks and Ive been there before myself.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
The thing is, I just wouldn't. I simply can't right now. Being in college I don't really have the means/funds/necessity. I come home maybe one weekend a month and just look forward to playing.

No bones again!
Quote by TheMastodon
My mesa single rec head wont make sound all the sudden. It's plugged into my randall warhead cab. It was being really quiet lately (not reaching the volume a halfstack should, or even coming close to it used to) so i decided to mess around with some settings and change cables/whatever but nothing fixed the problem. Then i went to turn it back on and now it wont produce sound at all.

As a sidenote I havent played it frequently lately at all, only when I come home from college for the weekend.

What can I do to try and fix this? Any help at all would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance!

This sounds like the tubes took a dump. It's always a good idea to have an extra set handy when using a tube amp.

There is also a thousand things that can go wrong in an amp, chances of it having the same concern as a peavey 6505 are slim. It's a shame they didn't fix his problem and sold him a $400 PCB instead of repairing the problem.

Speaker cable is fine to test with. Not good long term or at volume. No need to freak everyone.

What year is your amp? Everyone with an 8 year old mesa rec I know has needed the caps replaced. Could be that simple.
Last edited by R45VT at Nov 10, 2011,
Quote by R45VT
This sounds like the tubes took a dump. It's always a good idea to have an extra set handy when using a tube amp.

There is also a thousand things that can go wrong in an amp, chances of it having the same concern as a peavey 6505 are slim. It's a shame they didn't fix his problem and sold him a $400 PCB instead of repairing the problem.

Speaker cable is fine to test with. Not good long term or at volume. No need to freak everyone.

What year is your amp? Everyone with an 8 year old mesa rec I know has needed the caps replaced. Could be that simple.

Yeah, first thing I think I'll do is get new tubes and hope that does the trick? Neither pair I have here are working

Its a september 2006 model, so just 2 mos out of warranty and ~5 years old.
Call Mesa tomorrow. If its tubes or damage from tubes it's not even near warranty. Otherwise hopefully you can work with them. They will direct you to an authorized dealer.

Are these the original tubes?
Page 1 of 2