So guys, I've been playing without an amp for a while now. I always just used my high school's Fender Frontman 212R during breaks but since I graduated I no longer have that option.

I play indie rock so I need some good cleans.
I also play progessive rock and thrash metal. I'll be using this amp just for practice.

I heard some people use a Line 6 POD and just plug in their headphones.

Truth be told, I have no idea what to get. My budget is $200-$300. I can raise it to $450 ONLY IF NECESSARY.

Thanks guys.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Tube Vypyr for that kind of range in tones.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
2 channel version of the Jet City 20w combo. Take a look at it.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
^if he plays mostly the progressive/heavy stuff. If cleans are that important I doubt the Jet City will do too well. Ive only played the single channel and Im sure there is a difference, but for just practicing and wanting to get all kinds of different sounds for cheap, its hard to beat the tube vypyr.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
^if he plays mostly the progressive/heavy stuff. If cleans are that important I doubt the Jet City will do too well. Ive only played the single channel and Im sure there is a difference, but for just practicing and wanting to get all kinds of different sounds for cheap, its hard to beat the tube vypyr.

I thought the cleans were good on it

I agree with your suggestion anyways. Probably the best practice amp in his price range, along with plenty of effects.

It will max out his budget to $450 though.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
^I agree the cleans are good, but maybe not good enough for what he wants. It kinda depends on which tones are more important to him. The vypyr tube 60w sells for $300 quite a bit and does those things pretty damn good.

If the TS mainly plays the heavier stuff but plays the indie stuff a little bit then I would go with the Jet City if its headroom is a bit higher than the single channel for cleans.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
^I agree the cleans are good, but maybe not good enough for what he wants. It kinda depends on which tones are more important to him. The vypyr tube 60w sells for $300 quite a bit and does those things pretty damn good.

If the TS mainly plays the heavier stuff but plays the indie stuff a little bit then I would go with the Jet City if its headroom is a bit higher than the single channel for cleans.

Honestly, I would think the Vypyr would be more for the heavy stuff, not the other way around.

I'm assuming 300 is used price? Wasn;t sure what the price on those amps were anymore
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
^definently used price. I dunno I mean the vypyr does the heavy stuff better overall but I really loves the sound of the Jet too, esp for thrash.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I used to mainly play thrash metal. I only play a bit here and there now. I would love to have the option to play it though.

Now I don't use too much gain as I'm more focused on Progressive. Probably around 6-7, depending on the amp.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

^I would definently go for the Vypyr Tube. I keep specifying the TUBE part because there is a difference. Im picking one up to use as a practice amp for when I don't have my Carvin around.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Seconding the Vypyr Tube. The Jet City JCA22H is good as well, but if you'll be needing the volume and headroom of 60 watts for a band situation, I'd go with the Vypyr.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^It does that great as well plus you have the option for more power if you ever want to jam with someone. Its the best sounding, most versatile thing I can think of in your budget.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Blackstar HT-1R or HT-5 if you just need a practice amp, with an od you could probably have the amount of gain and i have heard good things about the cleans.
Quote by anvil is god
Blackstar HT-1R or HT-5 if you just need a practice amp, with an od you could probably have the amount of gain and i have heard good things about the cleans.

The vypyr does everything better than them at the same volume levels and has the option of doing it at gigs later on if he ever wants.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
The Vypyr is great just for the sheer versatility. If you want to play something, you can. That, IMO, is the greatest thing about the Vypyr. There's nothing you can't do with it. Whereas pretty much any non-modeling amp only does 1 or 2 things well.

EDIT: That on top of the fact that it's not a gimmick. The Vypyr Tube genuinely sounds awesome. I have my 120H sitting right here next to my SS 75, and there is quite a bit of tonal difference (I have the same settings on both, the 75 is my backup).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 10, 2011,
Quote by FearMyLightning
Get an Orange Dark Terror. I don't care what you budget is, they're badass.

wat
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by FearMyLightning
Get an Orange Dark Terror. I don't care what you budget is, they're badass.

Jet City pwns DT IMO.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent