Hello all, recently I have decided that I want to get bigger. No, I don't want to be one of those ripped juice heads. In the past, I have hated those people that go to places like GNC to get muscle milk stuff and who knows what. (Actually, I have always wondered what would happened if you took a serving size of everything in GNC all at once. Just a funny thought)

I'm not small, but I'm not big. I'm about 5'9-5'10 and weigh 150. Im not out of shape. I play water polo and actually have a pretty developed six pack. I need to gain more muscle weight though. i want to play hole set next season, which requires you to be a big guy.

So basically, what stuff do you recommend I take and should I add anything to my workout? Currently, I practice water polo 2 a week and do push-ups, crunches and pull-ups.

I want to be like Spartacus. R.I.P. That warrior type of build.
exercise thread
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
exercise thread

Ah, sorry. I did not know there was one.
Quote by Lulzcifer
sit on the couch playin xbox all day

Skyrim is released in a little over an hour. I think I'll have that down.
have 160+g of protein a day, benchpress A LOT, do bar squats A LOT, do deadlifts A LOT. pretty much as many sets and as much weight as possible, with 8-12 or so reps.

but srsly ask in nutrition and health thread.
hours and hours at the gym, dedication to eating foods that enhance muscle growth for the rest of your life.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Go on a clean bulk,basically find you calorie maintenance and keep adding calories every week to increase weight, make sure you get enough protein in your diet. Lift heavy and do cardio like twice a week.

Remember that diet is as important as the actually strength training.
Last edited by Portuguese_boy at Nov 10, 2011,
Hit the gym at least 3-4 times a week. Push ups and pull ups are great exercises but to bulk up you are going to need to increase resistance by increasing the amount of weight you lift. If you do lift weights, I recommend using free weights as much as possible unless you are trying to isolate a specific muscle. i.e. only use machines if you want to work just one muscle in one specific motion.

And even though you said you hate GNC and whatever, a whey protein shake is a good way to ensure your body has the protein needed to rebuild the muscles you just destroyed after a serious workout.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
If you want to do it without supplements, lift heavier weights with less reps. I mean, don't purposely do less reps, but lift weights heavy enough that you can only complete so many reps. I'd say with any given weight-lifting exercise, a series of 10 reps, then 8 reps, then 6 reps with 30 second breaks in between. Or 8-6-4 with slightly heavier weights.

And drink chocolate milk after your workout.
There's no formula for getting big, it varies from person to person. Some guys just have to lift weights, others need the protein shakes. Some just don't have it, but they can still put on some muscle.

Some of the best advice I can give is to lift weights and find the workout that works for you. Some guys can get big from doing sets with heavy weights, others need to really hit their muscles hard. If you're like me, just doing sets of heavy weights and gradually increasing the weight will only get you so far. My muscles get used to it. There are more intense exercises designed to counter that problem, but I can't remember what they are called.

Another thing is protein. You need it throughout the day because you're muscles require it to heal. I've found a high protein diet works great, but I'll have a muscle milk shake in between meals as well. And after a workout, I'll drink a fast acting protein shake. I don't know if it really works, but it's supposed to be a protein that your body can break down faster, so your muscles aren't starving. I've also tried the other stuff, the cell mass and NO Xplode, and the super vitamins packs where you take 10 pills at a time. The NO Xplode is really only for energy, and the vitamins are overkill(not regular vitamins, the mega pack type). Cell mass is really just Glutamine and Creatine, and I've heard they don't really do much.

That's all I have. Lifts weights and eat protein. Also, cardio exercises will develop lean muscle, the opposite of what you want. They are good for you, and I love cross-fit, but it's hard to get big from it unless you are someone that could get big from doing anything.
I'm 6'2", and this year i've been as low as 140 lbs (got dumped, depressed, stopped eating, pretty much dead alive), while my highest was around 185lbs. And i ran xc before. My resting body weight seems to hold around 160. I have always had a hard time gaining until now. What i discovered, was a lot of pushups. i do about 60 every other day. Also, crunches before/during your workout. Deadlifts are your best friend, it is one of the quickest ways to gain mass. It boosts testosterone naturally and safely, and helps with the nervous system. Do your workouts with good form, and focus on which particular muscle you are trying to work; throwing weights wont help you gain. the weights should be controlled solely by your muscles. And lifting regularly, and eating good. Everyone always skips the diet. Without a good diet, you may as well stay out of the gym. Usually 5-8 meals a day. At least 1g protein per lb body weight. Eating in the morning is extremely important, eat a large meal. Eat high in carbs and protein. A lot of animal protein, and varied. Red meat is especially good a few times a week. It contains creatine and some other nutrients. Just remember, cut sugar, cut fat. try to take in at least 3000-3500 calories per day. It takes approximately 3500 calories to add one pound to the body. Goodluck.
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Half Stack
Damage control Solid Metal
Boss Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+
Dunlop 535Q Wah
General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 Overdrive
Marshall MS-4 Ministack

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24

Washburn D10 Quilted Bubinga
Lift weights and eat lots of protein. Not protein shakes, those hurt your liver from what I hear. Working out is nice, but if you don't get enough protein your muscles won't grow.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
shake weight.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Quote by Chevelle454
I'm 6'2", and this year i've been as low as 140 lbs (got dumped, depressed, stopped eating, pretty much dead alive), while my highest was around 185lbs. And i ran xc before. My resting body weight seems to hold around 160. I have always had a hard time gaining until now. What i discovered, was a lot of pushups. i do about 60 every other day. Also, crunches before/during your workout. Deadlifts are your best friend, it is one of the quickest ways to gain mass. It boosts testosterone naturally and safely, and helps with the nervous system. Do your workouts with good form, and focus on which particular muscle you are trying to work; throwing weights wont help you gain. the weights should be controlled solely by your muscles. And lifting regularly, and eating good. Everyone always skips the diet. Without a good diet, you may as well stay out of the gym. Usually 5-8 meals a day. At least 1g protein per lb body weight. Eating in the morning is extremely important, eat a large meal. Eat high in carbs and protein. A lot of animal protein, and varied. Red meat is especially good a few times a week. It contains creatine and some other nutrients. Just remember, cut sugar, cut fat. try to take in at least 3000-3500 calories per day. It takes approximately 3500 calories to add one pound to the body. Goodluck.
Good advice right here.
Quote by Dadro
Hello all, recently I have decided that I want to get bigger. No, I don't want to be one of those ripped juice heads. In the past, I have hated those people that go to places like GNC to get muscle milk stuff and who knows what. (Actually, I have always wondered what would happened if you took a serving size of everything in GNC all at once. Just a funny thought)

I'm not small, but I'm not big. I'm about 5'9-5'10 and weigh 150. Im not out of shape. I play water polo and actually have a pretty developed six pack. I need to gain more muscle weight though. i want to play hole set next season, which requires you to be a big guy.

So basically, what stuff do you recommend I take and should I add anything to my workout? Currently, I practice water polo 2 a week and do push-ups, crunches and pull-ups.

I want to be like Spartacus. R.I.P. That warrior type of build.

Dude, that is exactly how I am, I've been wanting to gain a little bit of muscle but not too much to be an absolute meathead
Take creatine. It's like STEROIDS for your DICK!
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Work out for an hour at the least each day, at least 4-6 times a week. Each day try to work on a different part of your body (arms, torso, legs, cardio, ect.)
Quote by rgrockr
Lift weights and eat lots of protein. Not protein shakes, those hurt your liver from what I hear. Working out is nice, but if you don't get enough protein your muscles won't grow.

whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.

like people here already said. lifting weights and eating a lot (with a protein shake once or twice a day depending on how much you eat) is pretty much all you can do. also, when lifting weights you need to lift heavy...mass building workouts require heavy lifting in the 6-8 repetition range.

your diet will also play a huge role in your muscle development. regulate the crap out of it and make sure you're getting as many calories and protein you need in order to bulk up.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Nov 11, 2011,