My wife wants to get me something for xmas so I said get me a gift card from GC so I can get a used decent pedal, I am looking for a distortion pedal with the ability to cut midrange frequencies ect... a metal pedal if you will. I use a peavey classic 30 for my amp. Anyway I am looking at the these pedals
Metal muff
Hardwire TL 2
Rocktron Metal Planet
Rocktron Zombie distortion

I have about 100 to spend any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks
I'm only familiar with the TL-2 and the Metal Muff on that list, and they're both decent pedals for the money. Nothing spectacular, but they go okay. Of the two though, I'd take the TL-2.
Well, what do you really want the pedal to do? What are you going to be playing with it?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Well, what do you really want the pedal to do? What are you going to be playing with it?

Umm...

Quote by B.Cross
My wife wants to get me something for xmas so I said get me a gift card from GC so I can get a used decent pedal, I am looking for a distortion pedal with the ability to cut midrange frequencies ect... a metal pedal if you will. I use a peavey classic 30 for my amp. Anyway I am looking at the these pedals
Metal muff
Hardwire TL 2
Rocktron Metal Planet
Rocktron Zombie distortion

I have about 100 to spend any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks

Saying a 'metal pedal' is vague, sure, but surely you can work out vaguely what he wants to play with it. His classic 30 would do most low to mid gain stuff, so I'd hazard a guess to more or less 80's Thrash and onwards to today, just a ballpark guess though.
Quote by Offworld92

I use a yamaha pacifica 1221 and an agile al2000 and a peavey classic 30 and I play with a drummer and a bass player 2 times a month and we write most of our own music but do some classic covers and a few more recent ones. Anything from queensryche to metallica is about as metal as we get. I am wanting a decent cut frequency distortion pedal for some of the metallica sounds ect....
Well, I wasn't far off The metal muff would probably work for that I think.
Quote by telemetal
Well, I wasn't far off The metal muff would probably work for that I think.

So you like the muff?
I've got a Classic 30 and Agile 3000. Pretty similar setup. Also have the Metal Muff w/Top Boost, but I never use it anymore. It's an ok distortion pedal, I guess for metal stuff it's alright. It's basically going to sound the same through any guitar or amp, no amp like qualities or anything like that. It does boost and cut frequencies though.

The Hardwire stuff is ok. Out of the pedals you mentioned, I would go Metal Muff or Hardwire. I'm actually selling my Metal Muff if you're interested.
Quote by chip46
I've got a Classic 30 and Agile 3000. Pretty similar setup. Also have the Metal Muff w/Top Boost, but I never use it anymore. It's an ok distortion pedal, I guess for metal stuff it's alright. It's basically going to sound the same through any guitar or amp, no amp like qualities or anything like that. It does boost and cut frequencies though.

The Hardwire stuff is ok. Out of the pedals you mentioned, I would go Metal Muff or Hardwire. I'm actually selling my Metal Muff if you're interested.

Haven't decided yet but will consider if I go with it. I have a tonelab le that I run direct into the effects return and it sounds pretty good cranked up with the classic 30 but it lacks the cut midrange distortion sound but sounds more authentic kinda tubey even though in the end it's still a digital processor.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i would recommend a barber dirty bomb over any other budget metal pedal, but that's about $30 out of your budget. and i don't know if gc stock it.

Does it get that scooped sound that the others that I mentioned?
Quote by B.Cross
Does it get that scooped sound that the others that I mentioned?

why do you want to scoop your mids? the guitar pretty much is a mid-range instrument. cut the mids, and you will just cut yourself out of the mix.

+1 on the dirty bomb.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
why do you want to scoop your mids? the guitar pretty much is a mid-range instrument. cut the mids, and you will just cut yourself out of the mix.

+1 on the dirty bomb.

I am putting a small pedal board together and wanted the option of a pedal that does that. I like the sound for some metal riffs and like the sound of pedals that can do that.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
well the dirty bomb lets you dial out the mids, bump them, or keep them flat. so win-win.

Will consider the dirty bomb then, I believe that someone told me you can use it on your dirt channel as well. It really doesn't matter which pedal I get first anyway whether its a metal pedal or something like the crunch box.
If you can stretch it, go the Dirty Bomb. Everything Chip said about the Muff is pretty much true. It sounds pretty good overall.
Quote by telemetal
If you can stretch it, go the Dirty Bomb. Everything Chip said about the Muff is pretty much true. It sounds pretty good overall.

I just watched a few vids of the dirty bomb but it didn't do the mid cut thing very well or maybe all of the vids are poor quality.
FWIW, I really like the Hardwire TL-2. I have yet to find a Hardwire pedal that isn't good.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
although its cheap and VERY sensitive. The trustee metal zone has the biggest Mid cut/push I have heard on a pedal. Dont use pedals much for distortion but just saying theyre fairly cheap and might be what you want.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness