Page 1 of 2
I've been wondering for quite a while now, are schools in the US really like how they're depicted in movies/tv? What I mean is there really the whole jocks/nerds thing, bullies that take your lunch money and groups like the goths, cheerleaders etc.

I've lived in Australia all my life so I've never experienced any other schools.
No

Well, to an extent, but nothing like you see in movies.
Check out my band Disturbed
There are cliques but not as exaggerated like in movies.
I make house muuuusic!
www.soundcloud.com/sean-garfola

My Gear:
Schecter Tempest custom
Pro Co Rat Duecetone Distortion
Boss Space Echo
Boss Super Chorus
Line 6 Verbzilla
Digitech Jam-man
Peavey ValveKing 212
Not really, no.

I guess you sort of have the cliques - but there's not any of the pissy bitching back and forth between them, and people frequently can be categorized into more than one of them.

**** yea they are.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
There's a passing resemblance, but, no, not really.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
I'm curious also, how is Australian schools/ culture represented in American media?
Quote by zooba22
I'm curious also, how is Australian schools/ culture represented in American media?

Lots of kangaroos.

That's it really.
Quote by Overlord
Yes, but it's exaggerated a lot in movies.

Quote by zooba22

I don't think I've seen a single movie set in an Australian highschool.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Last edited by Gyroscope at Nov 11, 2011,
Quote by zooba22

We don't care about you except for people with crocodile-related nicknames like the Crocodile Hunter or Crocodile Dundee.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Australian schools don't have those things?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by zooba22

The Simpsons had a pretty good take on it.
Yeah. All of our women are stick thin, too, and you hear simulated audience laughter every time you say something vaguely resembling a punchline. If there's one thing I trust the media with, it's accurately portraying reality in sitcoms!
Quote by zooba22

America as a whole probably has never considered Australian schools in any way shape or form. It's not like the way we have this perception of English boarding schools here, most people just haven't ever thought of how it might be different down under.

As for Australia as a whole... well, Steve Irwin was a great guy, but that's pretty much what the bulk of America knows about Australia.

(Slight exaggeration.)
Last edited by Flying Couch at Nov 11, 2011,
Yes it is true. Though exaggerated in the movies there really are cliques of people who hang out together with the sexy popular people on top and the awkward nerds on the bottom.
My impression is that U.S schools are more like Napoleon Dynamite's than High School Musical. And it's no surprise there is no impression about our schools in Australia, I mean, who ever thinks about the high schools in Outer Siberia? Same thing.
Quote by WaterGod
Yes it is true. Though exaggerated in the movies there really are cliques of people who hang out together with the sexy popular people on top and the awkward nerds on the bottom.

+1
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Flying Couch
America as a whole probably has never considered Australian schools in any way shape or form. It's not like the way we have this perception of English boarding schools here, most people just haven't ever thought of how it might be different down under.

As for Australia as a whole... well, Steve Irwin was a great guy, but that's pretty much what the bulk of America knows about Australia.

(Slight exaggeration.)

I always picture your avatar saying everything you post. So that last part was quite fitting.
Quote by AJSaw
I always picture your avatar saying everything you post. So that last part was quite fitting.

Not sure I get what you're saying. Do you think that was a stupid thing to say?
In American schools there really is a very clear vertical social hierarchy. The bottom looks up to the top and vice versa. What's nice about American universities is that this hierarchy somewhat falls apart at this level, and the distribution becomes much more "horizontal" imo.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
In American schools there really is a very clear vertical social hierarchy. The bottom looks up to the top and vice versa. What's nice about American universities is that this hierarchy somewhat falls apart at this level, and the distribution becomes much more "horizontal" imo.

lol no
Quote by Flying Couch
Not sure I get what you're saying. Do you think that was a stupid thing to say?

Not at all. I just mean that the character's expression sometimes fits a statement well, not in the sense that it's stupid, but often entertaining.
Quote by Dirge Humani
lol no

Inklings of a vertical-like hierarchy are still there, but the tension between the social groups is not as pervasive. People sort of fit into a group of friends and then keep to themselves without worrying about others.
Quote by Overlord
^I'll take beautiful, intelligent and athletic people over orange-skinned, overweight, and mentally challenged people any day, my friend.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Dirge Humani
Yeah, maybe in the piece of shit backwards midwest, but over on the civilized coasts its not like that at all.

Yeah but we can't all be as great as The Situation, can we?
Quote by Dirge Humani
Yeah, maybe in the piece of shit backwards midwest, but over on the civilized coasts its not like that at all.

(Invalid img)

Quote by Carnivean
^I'll take beautiful, intelligent and athletic people over orange-skinned, overweight, and mentally challenged people any day, my friend.

Interior States FTW!
America doesn't have any schools, it's a myth.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Aye, and it's chavs and nerds instead of jocks.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
Aye, and it's chavs and nerds instead of jocks.

True, but I don't think we have cheerleaders though. I think all ours died out because they were too stupid to breed.
Quote by Tw1tch001
Stupid people breed the most... I sense a flaw in your argument

This man takes offense.

Actually I saw this episode and this guy actually seemed like he wanted to be involved in his kids life, but the woman wasn't letting him. He seemed really nice, but his teeth are goddamn awful and he must be judged harshly quite a lot because of it.
Quote by Tw1tch001
Stupid people breed the most... I sense a flaw in your argument

Ahh, well in that case then, it'll be because they all get pregnant before they have a chance to become cheerleaders.
Quote by devourke

This man takes offense.

Actually I saw this episode and this guy actually seemed like he wanted to be involved in his kids life, but the woman wasn't letting him. He seemed really nice, but his teeth are goddamn awful and he must be judged harshly quite a lot because of it.

Thats what happens when you have two first names. What a tosser.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
I worked in a shop that was involved with some sort of Christian outreach program, had plenty of Americans generally younger 18-25 come over and help out at the shop majority of them were surprised that I didn't belong to some sort of group at school I play rugby with the "jocks" cod with the "nerd/geeks" talk to the "popular girls" jam with the "band geeks" etc etc. they were all shocked when I told the everyone is treated as equal and get along with each other. Australia by the way
Not really. They are there, but not near as exaggerated.

It might be different over on the west coast, though. Never been to a school there.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Page 1 of 2