I can play barre chords correctly.

I'm having pain in my thumb though I usually have my thumb aligned with the fretboard.
Then while I play it just stings in my joint where do I place my thumb properly?

Thanks and also can you share me some tips too?

P.s excuse my typing im on EVO 4G
Quote by Skinny N Bonez
I'm having pain in my thumb though I usually have my thumb aligned with the fretboard.

If you play barre chords, your thumb should point towards yourself, not towards the headstock. I think that's your problem.

Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by LordPino
If you play barre chords, your thumb should point towards yourself, not towards the headstock. I think that's your problem.

Just tried it thanks a lot man
as for the pain, it just goes away with time.

As a quick power tip you can use:

- select a chird you have trouble with

- position your hands correctly and verify that it sounds good. (no buzzing and dead notes)

- after you acomplish that ... remain in that position holding the chord for 30 seconds (just let your hand hold the chord)

- Do at least 6 - 10 repetitions of 30 seconds holding the chord.

That way you are going to train your muscle memory on the long run.

The pain you are experiencing is probably because of the simple fact that you are not used with that position.

If you want to read more about muscle memory ... which is a must because it is the root of all guitar technique refer to my free ebook and read chapters 1 and 2

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/

Good luck !
Quote by apajr

As a quick power tip you can use:

- select a chird you have trouble with

- position your hands correctly and verify that it sounds good. (no buzzing and dead notes)

- after you acomplish that ... remain in that position holding the chord for 30 seconds (just let your hand hold the chord)

- Do at least 6 - 10 repetitions of 30 seconds holding the chord.

That way you are going to train your muscle memory on the long run.

The pain you are experiencing is probably because of the simple fact that you are not used with that position.

If you want to read more about muscle memory ... which is a must because it is the root of all guitar technique refer to my free ebook and read chapters 1 and 2

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/

Good luck !

Thanks ill keep that in mind and practice it too
Apajr:

NO NO NO F*** NO.
If it is joint pain it wont just go away, i dont mean to be a jerk but before you post the ebook who has the solution to all the problems in the world you should read the post apajr.

Joint pain is serious and one should be extra careful with it, if you damage a nerve or hurt your joints it can take months to recover and you could need to stop playing guitar.

Be careful man, play suuuper slow and identify if there are any unnatural angles or if you are pressing to hard, ive been there in the past and had to duct tape my thumb because i hurt it from thinkin the pain would go away with time.

Really pay attention, muscular pain is ok, joint or nerve pain should be avoided at all costs, you described it well, it isnt just pain ist some stinging pain, avoid it and massage and stretch it off.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Nov 11, 2011,
O.O ............

Thanks for the tip but I didn't mean my nuckle its in the whole thumb it only comes when I do play barred chord. It goes away fast when I release t other wise ill get a cramp! And cramps are not my friend

(hysterically)
They can be so mean sniff*
Quote by Skinny N Bonez
O.O ............

Thanks for the tip but I didn't mean my nuckle its in the whole thumb it only comes when I do play barred chord. It goes away fast when I release t other wise ill get a cramp! And cramps are not my friend

(hysterically)
They can be so mean sniff*

hhh ok :P if its your muscle then its ok.

Have in mind that as already mentioned the thumb should be perpendicular to the neck, not parallel. strength is rarely the answer..
try barring the chord cleanly with the lest ammount of strneght..
thats the way you want to play
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
I had pain issues when I started playing barre chords and it turned out it was because I was pushing down too hard. Evaluate which strings need the barre and which dont (ie for a E-shape F chord strings 2,3 and 4 are fretted by your other fingers and strings 1,2 and 6 are barred) and focus the pressure youre applying on the barre on the strings that need it.
I'll try also. I also notice that acoustic guitars has thicker necks than electric? Or it was probably the one I held.
Im practicing through the trees by low shoulder and its basically like barre chords.

How would I play this

E---
B---
G---3
D---0
A---x
E---3
Quote by Slashiepie
NO NO NO F*** NO... etc

I'm glad you were quick to be cautious there, it's true that pain can be an indication that if you don't stop, it can cause permanent problems. And yeah, muscle pain is less of a problem - a lot of the time muscle pain comes from the fact you're doing something you're not used to yet and will go with time. Although you still shouldn't overdo it, even if it is muscle pain, you need to stop and rest before continuing. I've had muscle pain related problems and generally after a while they've gone provided I've been sensible about it and stopped when it started to hurt.

Quote by Skinny N Bonez
I'll try also. I also notice that acoustic guitars has thicker necks than electric? Or it was probably the one I held.
Im practicing through the trees by low shoulder and its basically like barre chords.

How would I play this

E---
B---
G---3
D---0
A---x
E---3

Index on 3rd fret on 6th string, with it slightly resting on the a string so you mute it. Middle or ring finger on 3rd fret on 3rd string. Don't touch the D string, otherwise it won't ring out.

This isn't a barre chord.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Nov 11, 2011,
Quote by Skinny N Bonez

How would I play this

E---
B---
G---3
D---0
A---x
E---3

personally Id play the E and mute the A with my thumb and play the G and mute the first two strings with my index but a lot of technique buffs will disagree with the use of the thumb.
Quote by Skinny N Bonez

It really depends on the guitar. Some electric guitars can have thick necks too, and acoustics can have thinner necks. I'm pretty sure my electric guitar has a thicker neck than my acoustic, so I prefer playing my electric.

Quote by Skinny N Bonez
How would I play this

E---
B---
G---3
D---0
A---x
E---3

That looks like some sort of G chord to me (Gm?), so maybe I'd play it with my middle finger on the 6th string, my index muting the 5th and my ring on the 3rd.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by technoguyx
It really depends on the guitar. Some electric guitars can have thick necks too, and acoustics can have thinner necks. I'm pretty sure my electric guitar has a thicker neck than my acoustic, so I prefer playing my electric.

That looks like some sort of G chord to me (Gm?), so maybe I'd play it with my middle finger on the 6th string, my index muting the 5th and my ring on the 3rd.

thats true tbh, I play play 3x003x with my middle and pinky cause it usually follows a C
Quote by llBlackenedll
I'm glad you were quick to be cautious there, it's true that pain can be an indication that if you don't stop, it can cause permanent problems. And yeah, muscle pain is less of a problem - a lot of the time muscle pain comes from the fact you're doing something you're not used to yet and will go with time. Although you still shouldn't overdo it, even if it is muscle pain, you need to stop and rest before continuing. I've had muscle pain related problems and generally after a while they've gone provided I've been sensible about it and stopped when it started to hurt.

Index on 3rd fret on 6th string, with it slightly resting on the a string so you mute it. Middle or ring finger on 3rd fret on 3rd string. Don't touch the D string, otherwise it won't ring out.

This isn't a barre chord.

Thanks and I know that isn't a barre Chord!!!
Quote by Slashiepie
NO NO NO F*** NO.
If it is joint pain it wont just go away, i dont mean to be a jerk but before you post the ebook who has the solution to all the problems in the world you should read the post apajr.

Joint pain is serious and one should be extra careful with it, if you damage a nerve or hurt your joints it can take months to recover and you could need to stop playing guitar.

Be careful man, play suuuper slow and identify if there are any unnatural angles or if you are pressing to hard, ive been there in the past and had to duct tape my thumb because i hurt it from thinkin the pain would go away with time.

Really pay attention, muscular pain is ok, joint or nerve pain should be avoided at all costs, you described it well, it isnt just pain ist some stinging pain, avoid it and massage and stretch it off.

Hey man before you insult i think you should read the post .

The man has nothing to do with the joint pain.

Hes pain is muscular.

I know what you mean and i wouldn't gave him that advice otherwise.

And as for the ebook, i don't claim it has all the answers, it is just a good FREE resource.

I rest my case,

Paul
Have your index finger pointed skywards. Elbow tucked in and wrist at a right angle to the fretboard and just keep practicing. It does hurt at first but once you get the strength up, they're just as easy as any other chords. Try a C9 chord. That's a bitch to learn but once again, once you have it down, it's easy.
Quote by apajr
Hes pain is muscular.
And as for the ebook, i don't claim it has all the answers, it is just a good FREE resource.
I rest my case,
Paul

Sorry Mate
I missinterpeted it, he said:
" Then while I play it just stings in my joint"

My joint damage alarm went off!!
gonna try your book out tomorrow, it seems pretty interesting.. especially the nlp bits
Quote by Hail

Quote by Steve Albini
Quote by apajr

Hes pain is muscular.

I rest my case,

Paul

Actually, no, he did say it stings in his joint in the OP. And there are a lot of "free" resources out there, most of which should be avoided like the plague.