Hello, I have recently been considering the purchase of a new guitar as i think my current one is a bit crappy. The problem is i am torn between the bluesy rock sound of a fender strat or shelling out a bit and getting a gibson les paul, i asked at a guitar shop and this weird hippy dude who worked there suggested i let my soul and aura decide and go with the flow. WTF ? Wondering if anyone could give some advice.
Although the hippy dude might be dramatising it a bit, he is right.

Get the one that feels the best.
only you can tell what you like. my preferances are different from yours, and the next guys. the LP v. strat battle is very common and not as hard as you think it is. they are polar opposites. do you like single coils? if you do go strat, if you like humbuckers, go gibson. play both of them and see what fits you better. and i realize that the strat may be more of an icon for blues, but i play blues on a LP, so does Joe Bonamassa (just a guidance for tone). really its not that hard if you sit down and play them for a little while. go to a guitar store grab one of each, get set up on an amp similar to one you own and have them both sitting near you and kind of play one for a few minutes, switch and do the same thing. switch to a higher end amp, maybe even something you want in the future, and see how they stack up. take your time, dont feel rushed or pressured or anything like that. play until you know what fits you.

if you are like me you will eventually end up with both. i have one strat at the moment and seven gibsons.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Depends what kind of sound and feel your after.

Noodle around with both A LOT, don't feel pressured into buying quickly (especially by the sales assistant) as you don't want to regret it later.
Gear:
Roland Cube 15X
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Dunlop Jazz III pick (max grip)
Roland HD-1 Elec drum kit

add me on fb!
do you want an apple or an orange?

seriously, if its within your budget to even think about a Les Paul, you should take the time to pick a guitar!!! go to multiple shops, explain what you want and play as many guitars as they'll let you. hell, buy some guitar magazines and read the reviews!!

there are way more choices out there than those two. I don't mean to say that those aren't great choices, but they are miles apart sonically, and there are a lot of very good instruments in the middle ground
Quote by krehzeekid
do you want an apple or an orange?

seriously, if its within your budget to even think about a Les Paul, you should take the time to pick a guitar!!! go to multiple shops, explain what you want and play as many guitars as they'll let you. hell, buy some guitar magazines and read the reviews!!

there are way more choices out there than those two. I don't mean to say that those aren't great choices, but they are miles apart sonically, and there are a lot of very good instruments in the middle ground

reviews in guitar magazines are pure bullshit. its bad business for the magazine to review something poorly because than the manufacturer might stop advertising in that publication, thus the potential of losing money. they may cover the broad aspects, but they aren't going to say dont buy this POS. i remember seeing an MG in one magazine a long time ago and it was praised, i think most of us here probably dont agree with that.

if you really want to look at reviews, google it or check HC for reviews. ignore all of the reviews that are all 10/10/10/10/10 because they are in the honeymoon period and haven't played it enough or enough different things to have a valid opinion. look for the reviews who posted saying they have had it for months or years.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks, i went into a different shop yesterday and asked around a bit, i had a good play of both as well as a B.C rich mockingbird because i saw one and have never heard one being being played before, also i went into a place and found a second hand LP that someone had modded a bit and replaced the humbucker pickups with P-90's. It sounded really good and a lot different to anything i have previously played. I will definitely give it a bit more consideration.
Have you considered something like an HSS strat with a coil tap? You could have a really hot humbucker sound or a very pristine blues sound out of something like that. They have a MIM version that's very affordable -- and pickup swaps are a breeze. And of course they have the American Standard HSS.

You can also check out some PRS models. While they have their own sound, you can get close to a chunky LP sound as well as a glassy Strat sound from them (depending on model, pickups, etc.) Depending on your budget they have quite a variety of guitars.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by trashedlostfdup
reviews in guitar magazines are pure bullshit. its bad business for the magazine to review something poorly because than the manufacturer might stop advertising in that publication, thus the potential of losing money. they may cover the broad aspects, but they aren't going to say dont buy this POS. i remember seeing an MG in one magazine a long time ago and it was praised, i think most of us here probably dont agree with that.

if you really want to look at reviews, google it or check HC for reviews. ignore all of the reviews that are all 10/10/10/10/10 because they are in the honeymoon period and haven't played it enough or enough different things to have a valid opinion. look for the reviews who posted saying they have had it for months or years.

Don't trust any reviews. There are way too variables to consider. If you're looking for a cheap amp, a MG or Spider will perform accordingly. They may be a negative 10 compared to amps that cost 20 times what those cost, but if that's what you're looking for within your budget, you can't say anything bad about it. Guitars' costs vary greatly. Are you going to give $100 guitars a 0 while $10,000 guitars get a 10? Where does that leave a $1500 guitar?

Another thing to consider is what the reviewer actually wants. A Tiny Terror can be a good or bad amp depending on how much flexibility the user needs. You also have to keep in mind that they bought a guitar/amp over others because they liked it more. If you spent $800 on a Jazzmaster, you're going to rate it high because you wanted it. Why else would you buy it?

Guitar reviews are relative to price and what the buyer actually wants. They can't be trusted. The best way is to ask people with similar tastes about their opinions on your personal situation. And ask good questions, not "which is better?" Then when you're pointed to the right direction, look at reviews and ask more questions. You should be trying stuff out along the way too.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Don't trust any reviews. There are way too variables to consider. If you're looking for a cheap amp, a MG or Spider will perform accordingly. They may be a negative 10 compared to amps that cost 20 times what those cost, but if that's what you're looking for within your budget, you can't say anything bad about it. Guitars' costs vary greatly. Are you going to give $100 guitars a 0 while $10,000 guitars get a 10? Where does that leave a $1500 guitar?

Another thing to consider is what the reviewer actually wants. A Tiny Terror can be a good or bad amp depending on how much flexibility the user needs. You also have to keep in mind that they bought a guitar/amp over others because they liked it more. If you spent $800 on a Jazzmaster, you're going to rate it high because you wanted it. Why else would you buy it?

Guitar reviews are relative to price and what the buyer actually wants. They can't be trusted. The best way is to ask people with similar tastes about their opinions on your personal situation. And ask good questions, not "which is better?" Then when you're pointed to the right direction, look at reviews and ask more questions. You should be trying stuff out along the way too.

You speak sooth!

In the reviews I've done I try to evaluate the gear relative to the intended purpose/audience. So an inexpensive guitar has a certain purpose and is intended for a certain audience. It can be a "10" insofar as inexpensive guitars.

So I'd say instead of disregarding ALL reviews, I would make sure the review is written from the perspective of the correct purpose/audience. I have a little tiny, battery powered, SS Vox that is very close to a 10 across the boards because it's so awesome for a little battery powered office amp. And I have a Traveller guitar with a few faults that is still rated very high because it kicks ass for a musical traveling companion (the intended purpose). Just something to keep in mind.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Go to a guitar shop and try a load of guitars then buy the one you like the most
Quote by BRODIEM
The HSS strat sounds pretty awesome, i will have to try one out.

The nice thing about the HSS Strat is they have a couple different ones depending on your budget. I had the MIM (Made In Mexico) one and it was pretty amazing considering the price. I posted a review on it, btw. I was on the hunt for a USA version (they have a really nice color that I fell in love with) but never ended up getting one.

Oh, I can pretty much bet any music store (other than very small specialty ones) will have some of these. So getting to try one will should not be a problem.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
have you ever watched harry potter? Where he goes in the wand shop and makes a mess by flicking all these different wands until the shopkeeper gives him one and its perfect for him and he comes out with "the wand picks the wizard harry"

guitars are somewhat the same. some people can make any work, regardless of their prestige. Others (like me) have real difficulties in finding one thats worth buying.

For me a guitar has to meet three requirements, it ideally has to look pretty, it MUST to sound nice and it has to play perfectly. I dont want to fight a guitar to get a song out of it.

For instance, I started out on a unbranded strat, I can play it reasonably well now but rarely do, I have given it away twice and its come back to me both times. After that I bought a second hand epiphone les paul, this felt so much better for me the instant I strummed the first open G chord on it. After this I bought a made in china hollow body, purely becuase I played it in the shop and it sounded beautiful acoustically, its now the cheapest guitar I own other than the starter strat and still the one I pick up out of convenience to play the most.

But heres the point, after the epi les paul. I thought I want a gibson les paul, I played a £3,000 custom in my nearest good guitar shop, It was beautiful in every respect, I just couldn't afford it, so went and played some studios, a couple of standards, they either sounded awful, or I couldn't get along with them. A friend of mine had a flood edition les paul, green swirl one, he played it one night and it sounded amazing, I played it and it might as well have been strung with razor wire for how uncomfortable it felt.

Out of curiosity one day I played my first gibson explorer. it played beautifully, sounded amazing though the amp in the shop (same as I have at home I might add) so I went away to think about it, went back a week later and tested the other explorers they had in stock and was just lucky the first one I played was the best sounding, bought it there and then, and since my guitar playings improved in leaps and bounds. Everyone had told me, you cant play it on your lap, it'll keep slipping off, you wont like it on a strap, their unbalanced. the point on the bottom will annoy your forearm... none of it was true.

if your going to be spending gibson money, don't buy a guitar because you want to buy a guitar, buy one because you want that guitar, if you don't find one worth spending the money on, DON'T buy it, you will only regret it. Go play as much as possible, try and play through as similar an amp as you own or the amp you want to get (though this is just as infuriating a process of elimination for me), guitar salesmen I find give you expensive guitars and plug it into the worst possible amp to use it through. Ask to hear it though what you want to hear it though, at the end of the day its your money and you need to be happy spending it.