How can I fix up light scratches on a glossy finish? (Epi Les Paul Special II)?
Last edited by Apples on Cacti at Nov 11, 2011,
not to be an ass, but just deal with it, as much as it sucks. its a guitar, it will get beaten as time goes on.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
not to be an ass, but just deal with it, as much as it sucks. its a guitar, it will get beaten as time goes on.

I guess, but I still want to see if there's a way to get rid/lessen the scratches.
Quote by Apples on Cacti
I guess, but I still want to see if there's a way to get rid/lessen the scratches.

if you want to try it, go to an auto store and pick up 3M fine cut rubbing compound and go over the finish. IIRC the stuff i use is equivilent to about 6000 grit, so that is just for surface, if the scratches are deeper, you may either not be able to fix them or do some wet sanding (probably start ~1000 grit). i have done this before and it has turned out great, but i do not know your abilities and am not responsible if it makes things worse. if at any point you see color if you are wet sanding, stop asap. i have done a ton with painting and it works for me, but again take it at your own risk.

just remember that down the road if you ever get a guitar with a nitrocellulose laquered finish to follow a different protocol.

post some pics.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Guitars like that Epi have a poly finish which is basically a thick plastic finish. You can't just gloss over scratches. You would have to sand the finish back then buff it back up or you'd need to strip and refinish the whole guitar. Expensive guitars which have nitro finishes can be repaired easily but poly just isn't as flexible.
Ask here first; https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241

and then here; https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1185061

And if all else fails, make a new thread here; https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=53

The first thread could be useful to you because the user 'jj1565' who helps out in there is very knowledgeable. The thread is about setup though, rather than paint, so if you find no help in there, don't be too disappointed.

The second is for quick questions in the Gear Building and Customising forum, and I suspect for many of the users in there this will be an easy question.

Just in case it isn't, follow the second link and make a new thread in there (or, preferably, ask a mod to move this one.) All or most of the users who frequent GB&C will see it. Somebody will be able to help you.
Listen to trashedlostfdup. A cut and polish is the correct way to do it and will yeild the best results. Srew the nail polish and magic markers.
Guitar woods naturally get scratched, dented, and/or rusted with age. The best way to prevent this is by always polishing/cleaning your guitar before/after you play it, and make sure you do not abuse the guitar on any physical means (eg. throwing the guitar onto the ground onstage). That's how I do it.
i have used Mothers carnauba wax with good success. I actually use it after general cleaning to put a protective coat on the guitar but it also works out light scratches really well.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Alright, thanks to everyone who replied. I think I'm just gonna go get some PW Restore at the local shop and see if that works. If not, I don't really care anymore, because I've used a buffer cloth on it and now it isn't immediately visible. It looked bad before because that scratches were on black, and they really stood out. It's just the actual damage left now instead of those white looking scratch marks from before. :/