...have songs with several different guitar tunings in one album?

With my current batch of songs that I'd consider to be my first personal "album" of my metal compositions, I am currently using Eb, Drop Db, Drop B, and Drop Bb (on a 7-string).

I know Eb and Drop Db isn't a big deal because that's easy to switch to, but the fact that I've got Drop B and Drop Bb isn't overboard is it? I even think I might have one Drop C song as well, but may just make that Drop Db for the sake of simplicity/convenience.

I've got plenty of guitars (and basses) I can record with, with which I have my different tunings covered, so that isn't the issue... But I suppose I'm just thinking ahead in my mind about practicality of jamming/gigging all this stuff with future band possibilities. And at the same time, I've tried these songs in the different respective tunings and it didn't have nearly the same magic to it. It's like I've picked the exact right tuning for the given song/riffs.

Thoughts?

(are there other bands out there who use several different guitar tunings within the span of one album? I know certain bands progress to using different tunings with different albums, but when all on the same album is that weird or impractical in any way?)

Thanks.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Nov 11, 2011,
I think I can see what you're getting at, with having the right tuning for each song, but to me it seems like you would be better off just playing it all in Drop Bb so you would spend more time learning to play different things and less time tuning your guitar/s.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Quote by risk182
Well it is fine for an album but it will be a bitch for live play.

This.
Quote by risk182

What if you have, like, more than 1 guitar with like, different tunings
Well, I know of a few bands that do radical tunings and a lot of tunings in one album. My personal favourite is Soundgarden (though I'm not sure you'll like em, they're 'grunge', or atleast heavy grunge), their Superunknown has 7 different tunings iirc
Quote by risk182

If you don't mind having to take a bunch of guitars to each gig, no problem
Last edited by mrkeka at Nov 11, 2011,
Quote by Drg23
Well, I know of a few bands that do radical tunings and a lot of tunings in one album. My personal favourite is Soundgarden (though I'm not sure you'll like em, they're 'grunge', or atleast heavy grunge), their Superunknown has 7 different tunings iirc

Yeah. But they were a big, successful band when they came out with Superunknown, weren't they? That album debuted at #1.

So when they were touring they could have a full-time guitar tech who's job it was to keep all the guitars in order, have the right one handy and give it to what's-his-name when the setlist called for it.

Look, you can do it. A lot of people play sets with 2-3 guitars. Just make sure you're capable of switching from guitar to guitar quickly and silently, have good guitar stands, and resign yourself to carrying a s--t ton of gear.
Either bring multiple guitars in different tunings with you, or learn how to play all of them in Drop Bb, use a capo if necessary.
You know what's really weird? Space. That shit's crazy.

Makes your question seem kinda ridiculous doesn't it? Cause it is. It's a recording. In my mind, it's all free game.

(hell, mix up those tunings in the SAME SONG. Now THAT is batshit crazy
^ Your avatar has never been so uncomfortably suitable for your post content.
Quote by ouchies
No you can record songs however you want. What a stupid question.

Indeed I can do whatever I want, I was just asking from a practicality point of view. You didn't seem to grasp the concept of my question, but thanks anyway.
Quote by HaistaPaska92
What if you have, like, more than 1 guitar with like, different tunings

Because every musician can afford multiple gig-worthy guitars, yeah.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Drg23
Superunknown... one of the best modern rock albums hands down. There is great diversity on that album yet if you listen to the entire album the collection is even more impressive than any one tune. Great call
he of tranquil mind