I have a fender mexican strat. Long story short.

I sent my guitar to a guitar repairman and talked to him over phone on what to do.

My guitar needed a neck adjusment

anyway after opening it up, he said the allen key in my guitars truss rodd has "slipped" and it's moving freely.
He said there is nothing he could do now.

Someone help me. I saved up a lot of money for this guitar... and now.. it's finish?!?!
If your neck is really warped then yes it is the end. And even if it is not warped, if the truss rod is now just moving freely it's just a matter of time before it does start to warp.
For a Strat congrats, it's a bolt on neck, simply order a replacement. You can get them on ebay, also warmoth sells necks, and mighty mite, so you have options.
Quote by Pg.inc_music
If your neck is really warped then yes it is the end. And even if it is not warped, if the truss rod is now just moving freely it's just a matter of time before it does start to warp.
For a Strat congrats, it's a bolt on neck, simply order a replacement. You can get them on ebay, also warmoth sells necks, and mighty mite, so you have options.

sorry for being a complete noob but what does "warp" mean?

how much do these replacements cost?

for now, the repairperson says he fixed it but the action is 1 inch high....
Quote by shamaans
the action is 1 inch high....

LOL
Most of my grindcore inspiration comes from my hard drive.
Quote by intotheend
You sent your guitar to a guitar repairman, and told him what to do?

What? 0.o

I didn't want to fix the neck myself since I was too afraid.

Everything is making sense now... the guy who sold this to me in the guitar center. He was the one who broke it/didn't adjust it properly..

I had no experience back then.

I am really depressed now... I lost my only guitar.
If your action is 1inch high, you have bigger problems.

Try adjusting the saddles to bring the action down, if the neck has too much relief and you cannot get a low enough action, get a new neck. Mighty Mite necks are $90 on musiciansfriend.com, I recommend them, I love their necks. It will be just like stock except that the finish on the neck is less glossy looking, and there will be no logo on the headstock.
it will still play, but yeah you need a new neck.

warped means that the wood is bent, and that usually isn't good.

but dude, relax, it'll be a couple hundred dollar fix, but your guitar still has life in it.

and i really doubt if your action is an inch, sounds like these people at guitar center need to be fired. seriously, i would talk to their managers, because they are gaudy assholes for giving out wrong advice willy-nilly.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

The repairman probably meant the place where the allen wrench goes in is stripped (Like when you tighten a screw badly and it ruins it). Metal is suprisingly soft on bolt heads. It means it's now impossible to correct anything in the neck. It's not worth repairing tbh , I'd just buy a new neck if it's a bolt-on. Simples.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Nov 11, 2011,
I just looked at the neck myself and I see that I can't reach the allen key. It's a bit deep inside. what does this mean ? :S
You need a longer allen key. If you're using a generic allen wrench it's probably too fat to fit in the socket.
ok first ....

1. did the repair person break your guitar?
if so then you need them to fix it.

does he mean that the Allen Key (wrench) slipped
when he was adjusting and he managed to strip the nut
as a result of his mistake?

2. when you measure your neck's releif,
when you fret the low E on the first fret, and at the same time,
on the last fret of the Low E, where the neck and body meet...

how much gap is at the middle frets, 7-9th frets?
does a credit card fit in that gap? does nothing fit in that gap?

3. the nut at the headstock is the Truss Rod Nut.
is the cap just spinning?
sometimes that can be removed by hand.

the Allen Wrench is the tool that moves the Truss Rod Nut and
changes the neck angle.

4. are you aware that the saddles at the bridge move up and down,
and that, that is a simple way to adjust your action?

5. are you getting any fret buzz that transmits thru the amp?

answer as mush as you can and i will help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 11, 2011,
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar_necks/Replacement_Neck_for_Strat_Guitar.html

If it is stripped then its not worth fixing on a mim strat if you cant do it yourself. So here are some necks you can look at.
I'm a little confused. If you bought this from Guitar Center and the salesperson said it was his fault it needed adjusting, I would take it back to Guitar Center and talk to a manager about it. Even if it was a used guitar they should take care of it.

Next, go to the repairman you're working with and see what he has to say about it. If the problem with the truss rod is his doing, then he should take care of it. I can't imagine taking my guitar to a luthier (repairman), him breaking something and then telling me it's my problem. He should take care of it and probably will.

If neither Guitar Center or your repairman will take care of you (which would be very odd) then there is still something you can do. Take it to a different repair person and explain the situation. I'm assuming you don't have the money to buy a new neck.

The fix is nothing long term, but could help you until you can get a new/used neck. The luthier can take a tool (sort of like a chisel) and press it into the nut at the end of the truss rod. He'll then use this tool to turn the rod.

So not all is lost my friend. But before you invest another penny in repair work, I would take it back to Guitar Center and explain the situation. If that doesn't work, take it back to the luthier that broke it and see what he will do about it. Lastly, try another repairman.

Good luck!
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
If the neck is beyond repair then I would recommend looking around at pawn shops for a Squier strat with a neck that you like. When you find a good neck then you can just put that on your Fender strat until you can afford something better for it.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I bought this Guitar from a guitar center in NC.

I am now living in Pakistan.

Therefore going BACK to America is not possible.

I took the guitar to a local repairman here and he says that you or someone tightened it up too much or something and it is now "slipping" and can't be adjusted.

he then said something like "the nut is also deep inside the neck, what can I do?"

I saw the guitar now and I can see the allen nut inside it but it's a little deep.

If I am to get a new neck what is the CHEAPESTTTT I can get for DECENT sound?
Quote by shamaans
I bought this Guitar from a guitar center in NC.

I am now living in Pakistan.

Therefore going BACK to America is not possible.

I took the guitar to a local repairman here and he says that you or someone tightened it up too much or something and it is now "slipping" and can't be adjusted.

he then said something like "the nut is also deep inside the neck, what can I do?"

I saw the guitar now and I can see the allen nut inside it but it's a little deep.

If I am to get a new neck what is the CHEAPESTTTT I can get for DECENT sound?

Cheapest, just look at eBay or like the above post said, go to a pawn shop and find a Squire for super cheap and just keep the neck.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
with a 1 inch high action, what is your feelings towards slide guitar..?
mojostompboxes.com
idc what he says. if the action is 1 inch high its not fixed.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Mods! Close This Mother Fukin' Thread!! My Guitar Is Fixedddddd Punk Rock Here I Comee!!!
Quote by shamaans
Mods! Close This Mother Fukin' Thread!! My Guitar Is Fixedddddd Punk Rock Here I Comee!!!

fuck yes.
mojostompboxes.com