I have an ibanez RG 2550. I love the sound but the frets are huge for
my hands. Looking for recomendations for comparable guitar with smaller
frestboard and neck to make shredding easier. The are too many choices...
Maybe I should just keep practicing.....
Thanks
Ibanez has shorter scale necks too. Parker guitars are great and usually have a short scale neck.

But yes please, continue practicing.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by Grounder
Looking for recomendations for comparable guitar with smaller
frestboard and neck to make shredding easier.

Most guitars designed for shredding have thinner, wider necks with tall/jumbo frets...if you want a guitar with small frets that's designed for shred you might consider getting yours refretted instead. You could also look into older shred machines from the 80's/90's that had smaller frets, possibly Hamer, Charvel, Jackson, or older Ibanez, although a good deal of them had big frets back then too.

Also, some of Joe Satriani's guitars definitely (and I think one or two of the JEMS) have smaller frets.
Most guitars designed for shredding have longer neck scale to allow more spqce between fret in the upper part of the neck, and bigger fret/thinner neck for faster neck. A satin neck is a plus, because gloss are usually stickier wjen you start to sweat. So smallers guitar usually arent meant for shredding. Just saying.
Keep practicing. Thats the most important part. Ibanez guitars are pretty good for shredding though. To be honest, any guitar can pull off shredding if your comfortable. I suggest finding what you like. I play shredding lines fairly frequently, but I play a strat with single coils (ala Yngwie)but shred more in a Satch-ish fashion. Just find what you like.
The best guitar for shredding is the one you are most comfortable playing. That's all there is to it; people shred on everything from the thinnest-necked Parkers to the most baseball bat style Gibsons, you just need to try a whole load of guitars and find the one that works best for you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Panasonic3
Ibanez has shorter scale necks too. Parker guitars are great and usually have a short scale neck.

But yes please, continue practicing.

Ibanez and parker do not have short scale necks..
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The best guitar for shredding is the one you are most comfortable playing. That's all there is to it; people shred on everything from the thinnest-necked Parkers to the most baseball bat style Gibsons, you just need to try a whole load of guitars and find the one that works best for you.

This. Shredding starts with comfort, then you work on technique, You just find one that feels good to you, and then you work on the playing.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by coolstoryangus
Ibanez and parker do not have short scale necks..

Ibanez do make a good few models with the Gibson style 24.75" scale.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

^^ This.
Quote by Dio10101
Keep practicing. Thats the most important part. Ibanez guitars are pretty good for shredding though. To be honest, any guitar can pull off shredding if your comfortable. I suggest finding what you like. I play shredding lines fairly frequently, but I play a strat with single coils (ala Yngwie)but shred more in a Satch-ish fashion. Just find what you like.

solid advice. shredding is more about technique than what guitar you are using.
Yeah, try out a bunch first then decide. A friend of mine bought an Ibanez Xiphos and a Jackson JS32T King V (I think) and I must say, as huge an Ibanez fan as I may be, I still like the Jackson more.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Came into this thread about to post this exactly. Comfort is everything so just buy what's good for you. Personally Ibanez RG's don't do it for me but they are the #1 recommended. Go figure.
Gear:
Ibanez SRX-365
MIM Fender Jazz Bass
Yamaha B50-115ii
Boss CS-3
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Ibanez do make a good few models with the Gibson style 24.75" scale.

I personally don't class that as short scale either..
They do make a gio MIKRO though.
If you have small hands, then Fender guitars (the original ones), Charvel guitars or BC Rich guitars would be best for shredding. I personally own a Fender Jaguar HH equipped with a 9.5" radius fretboard, and I love it.
Quote by coolstoryangus
I personally don't class that as short scale either..
They do make a gio MIKRO though.

In terms of standard models and standard price ranges it is a short scale. I agree that it's not that short but relative to other things it is.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
thinner is not always going to be more suited for shredding. people shredz on les pauls. only thing that u can really do, or that we can even begin to tell u to do is try out a couple different necks like:

Ibanez 3 pc wizzard

Ibby 5 pc wizzard

les paul 50's

les paul 60's

shecter/ltd/esp (pretty similar neck shapes, shecter being slightly fatter)

Fender necks

charvels

Jacksons

etc...
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
In terms of standard models and standard price ranges it is a short scale. I agree that it's not that short but relative to other things it is.

To me short scale is 24" and under.. fender jaguar etc. The gibson scale length is relatively common and has been about for ages...
YMMV
Nobody mentioned JP music man?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+