Usually, regardless of when I wake up or went to bed. It still seems like I didn't get enough sleep. In fact, when I get up later I actually feel worse.

Now, I don't mean I feel absolutely horrible. I mean at the moment I wake up I don't feel particularly active, which fades in a few minutes. It's not really a problem, it's just what I notice.

So basically if I wake up late and sleep a lot, I feel worse than if I slept for like 6 hours.

Anyone experiencing this?
Sometimes when I wake up I feel tired so I fall back asleep and I wake up an hour later with a headache
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
It's probably because you aren't entering the fourth level of sleep (which is when rapid eye movement starts). I've heard it's not possible to enter this stage while on most drugs, or when you have been drinking. You also don't get as much of it if you go to sleep and wake up late.

Try meditation, train yourself too go to bed early and wake up early. Way more energy man.

oh, and don't go sleeping over 8 hours if you don't have to. It just messes with you, you're gonna feel like crap
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by theboots
It's probably because you aren't entering the fourth level of sleep (which is when rapid eye movement starts). I've heard it's not possible to enter this stage while on most drugs, or when you have been drinking. You also don't get as much of it if you go to sleep and wake up late.

Try meditation, train yourself too go to bed early and wake up early. Way more energy man.

oh, and don't go sleeping over 8 hours if you don't have to. It just messes with you, you're gonna feel like crap

exactly this
Quote by theboots

I am definitely entering the REM-phase, because it is during that phase that you experience dreams, and I get lots of those.

I don't drink alcohol AT ALL, I don't smoke AT ALL, and obviously no drugs.

I do know how to meditate, and I do it regularly.

I HAVE the energy, I mean AT the moment that I wake up and for the next 5-10 minutes I don't feel "lively". Usually I'd go to sleep at 23:00 and wake up 5:30.
Quote by theboots

Unless you're a bear and it's winter
Quote by Zeletros
Usually, regardless of when I wake up or went to bed. It still seems like I didn't get enough sleep. In fact, when I get up later I actually feel worse.

Now, I don't mean I feel absolutely horrible. I mean at the moment I wake up I don't feel particularly active, which fades in a few minutes. It's not really a problem, it's just what I notice.

So basically if I wake up late and sleep a lot, I feel worse than if I slept for like 6 hours.

Anyone experiencing this?

It's called sleep inertia. Everybody feels that way immediately after waking, regardless of how much they've slept.

I always feel worse after a long sleep than an ideal sleep, but it still feels better than not enough sleep.
Quote by Metallicuh
Sometimes when I wake up I feel tired so I fall back asleep and I wake up an hour later with a headache

This happens to me a lot
Also, experiment a little bit to find your sleep cycles. Basically when you sleep you go through those 4 stages mentioned above, but then they repeat themselves. If you can wake up at the end of a sleep cycle, you'll feel much better then if you wake up in the middle of one.
Oh man, don't even talk to me about sleep.

Sunday night I pulled an all nighter to finish a project, and I was running off of four hours of sleep from the night before anyway.

Monday night I came home exhausted and slept for four hours.

Tuesday night I stayed up late to finish another project for the same class, slept for three hours.

Wednesday I pulled another all nighter to cram for an exam.

Thursday night (last night) I was supposed to sleep at midnight and get a good seven hours in, but shit happens and I got three hours instead.

So I've gotten ten hours of sleep this week, when I should have gotten somewhere around 40.
Hm, I kinda have a related problem. I get about 6 to 7 hours of sleep a day, and wake up at 6:30. After waking up completely, I'm fine until noon. After 1 o'clock I start getting tired, and remain that way the rest of the day. At that time I have almost no energy to study or do fun things. This happens pretty much every day, has any of you got any tips to help me? Btw, I tried afternoon naps, but mostly, even if I fall asleep, I'll just waste an hour or two and just feel weird after it, not more relaxed.
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
You are probably behind on sleep, like most of the rest of the world. It took me 3 or 4 years of not having to wake up at a set time to make up for the sleep I lost because of attending school.

Sadly, there is no way to really make up lost sleep except for sleep inordinate amounts. Sleep has an interest rate, so if you skip an hour of sleep for one night, and make it up the next night, you have to sleep for over an hour to make it up, and the longer you wait to make it up, the more time you will need to sleep to make up that hour.

But now that I'm all caught up, I have no issues getting up, my sleep schedule has regulated itself (it used to slowly creep forward through the day) and I really can't sleep for more than about 8 1/2 hours or so unless I'm making up lost sleep.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by theboots

actually REM-Sleep is the stage before one to four, four being the deepest state
(Awake-REM-1-2-3-4) you don't enter deep sleep states under drugs (or don't quite so easy) and when you don't reach that states you are not so well rested when you wake up.

most dreaming occurs in REM but dreaming in the other states has been observed, too
i believe though you only can remember your REM dreams and lucid dreaming is also a REM phenomenon. (but i'm not quite sure about that last two things)

also you can't make up for "lost" sleep
Quote by doomded
You are probably behind on sleep, like most of the rest of the world. It took me 3 or 4 years of not having to wake up at a set time to make up for the sleep I lost because of attending school.

Sadly, there is no way to really make up lost sleep except for sleep inordinate amounts. Sleep has an interest rate, so if you skip an hour of sleep for one night, and make it up the next night, you have to sleep for over an hour to make it up, and the longer you wait to make it up, the more time you will need to sleep to make up that hour.

But now that I'm all caught up, I have no issues getting up, my sleep schedule has regulated itself (it used to slowly creep forward through the day) and I really can't sleep for more than about 8 1/2 hours or so unless I'm making up lost sleep.

sleep debt only lasts up to two weeks iirc