I really want to start recording my material properly. At the moment im recording using my line 6 spider 4 and laptop microphone and the sound quality sucks beyond belief. Im not gigging at the moment and i don't plan on gigging any time soon so i was thinking about purchasing this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-JS-8-eBand-Audio-Player-guitarists-NEW-JS8-/270845914395?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f0facad1b

Boss JS8

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260887825460&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Line 6 podxt

Im unsure about that particilar line 6 pod. Im not sure if its just a pedal board or if it can be hooked up to a computer and used for recording. If it can't, can you suggest a similar item.

Also, What kind of tones are the boss js8 capable of ? and whats the recording quality like ?
It looks like the Boss is geared towards jamming, not actually recording; you put songs on it, and it plays them back while you play over them. I can't really say much about it, since I've never used one.
There's more than one version of the Pod; the one you linked to, the "Live" version, is a floorboard aimed at gigging. There's also a rack-mount version ("Pro" version), but the desktop version (which is intended for recording) looks kind of like a red bean. I have one myself, and I can recommend it.
You can plug a Pod Live into your computer and record it through the line-in jack, but one of the desktop Pod's biggest strengths is the digital output, which the Live doesn't have. Digital output is much less noisy than line-in, and you will notice a difference in recording quality.
Quote by Cavalcade
It looks like the Boss is geared towards jamming, not actually recording; you put songs on it, and it plays them back while you play over them. I can't really say much about it, since I've never used one.
There's more than one version of the Pod; the one you linked to, the "Live" version, is a floorboard aimed at gigging. There's also a rack-mount version ("Pro" version), but the desktop version (which is intended for recording) looks kind of like a red bean. I have one myself, and I can recommend it.
You can plug a Pod Live into your computer and record it through the line-in jack, but one of the desktop Pod's biggest strengths is the digital output, which the Live doesn't have. Digital output is much less noisy than line-in, and you will notice a difference in recording quality.

Is this what you are talking about ?

http://line6.com/pod20/
Sort of.
Line 6 has three families of Pods:
*Desktop: The thing you linked to is the Pod 2.0's desktop version. That's what I meant by "bean".
*Live: The floorboard version.
*Pro: Rackmount. These things go in with a huge rack of effects; that can be handy live or in-studio, but bulky to carry around. Plus they're expensive.
Those are the different packages they come in, but the stuff inside is basically the same with each generation. Newer generations (supposedly) sound better, and they're better-supported by Line 6. The generations, from oldest to newest, are: 2.0, XT, X3, and HD.
Cheers.
Get a proper audio interface
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.