Metal Radio - Yield? Not ever

ᚾᛖᚢᛖᚱ ᛊᚢᚱᚱᛖᚾᛞᛖᚱ

It's that time again. Over the years my preferences within the genre of metal have fluctuated quite a bit. These days I can quite clearly say, however, what it is that I look for in metal. Here I have compiled eight tracks that, one could say, embody my love for the genre. It is the soaring leads, crushing riffs, soul-piercing vocals, heavy drums that ram onwards... It is the unequaled, inexplicable feeling that makes me don a denim vest and put Brocas Helm LP on time and time again. A few obvious choices here, but obscurity is not the point. Each of these tracks are ones that on a fine day could make me cry out of pure power of the music. I hope some of you feel that same burn in your soul while listening to these.

Setlist:
1. Crush - Beyond The Gates... / March Of The Deads
- Kingdom Of The Kings is quite simply the best thing I have ever heard to come out of Greece. Almost mandatory cheesy album intro leads into this pounding march that sets the tone for the whole mix. This track has it all from killer savage deadly guitar solos to vocals in the chorus that could tear heaven apart.
2. Brocas Helm - Fly High
- If I'm not completely mistaken, this is the third time I've featured Brocas Helm in my mixes. They are truly that amazing. I don't know how one could even hope to find better heavy metal out there. This track is my personal favourite from Black Death, an album I just don't seem to get tired of. Defender of the Crown, Black Death, Into Battle. Take your pick at random and go get it. Fall in love with heavy metal.
3. High Power - Offrande Charnelle
- One might argue that French isn't the most masculine of the languages. That is true, but listen to this one. A track that would put even Manowar at shame. The main riff churns on at the pace of an army marching through Hyperborea. What at first seems like just another mid-tempo heavy metal monolith gives "epic" a whole another meaning starting from around 3:30. Goddamn. I don't understand a word of the lyrics, but if they're anything like the music, I just presume this one's about slaying foes down to the last man in the name of Crom.
4. Manilla Road - Up From The Crypt
- What can I possibly say about Manilla Road that even begins to give them any justice? The fastest track featured in the mix. Truly relentless beast of a track done in the unparalleled fashion of Manilla Road. [insert superlatives here]
5. Ария (Aria) - Бой Продолжается
- Often given the title "Russian Iron Maiden", a description that in my opinion undermines them a bit. The gallop riffs are there, the melodic duel solos are there, but they have a charm unique to them. This track goes on levels I think Iron Maiden have rarely reached. I was hooked the first time I heard that chorus and it's very often stuck in my head, despite having no idea what it is that I'm singing.
6. Heavy Load - Heathens From The North
- This is something truly special. These Swedish heathens took metal to such epic proportions that I don't think there was anyone to match them those days. Even to this date, few have managed to create anything that comes even close. If at gunpoint I was forced to pick just one song to present to you lot, I think it would be this one. Mighty and superior, indeed.
7. Blind Guardian - Valhalla
- My vocabulary isn't extensive enough to aptly describe how much this song (and band) means to me. This here is a 1993 live recording. Repetitiveness has never been this glorious. I'll just leave it to that.
8. Black Knight - Aaraigathor (Metal Anthem)
- Another one that could be seen as an "obvious choice" since one \Powerslave/ (Where is that bastard anyway?) has done his share of whoring this track. I really can't blame him. I would put this in the same category as Heavy Load, really. Those Canadians managed to distill the essence of metal into 7 minutes. Very adequately named Metal Anthem, I couldn't think of a better closer to this mix.

Enjoy. Never surrender.

----------

Schedule:
November 18 - Cambyses
November 25 - romencer17
December 2 - Senor Kristian
December 9 - Annihislater
December 16 - illuminatiano
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Oh man I am playing the shit out of this with cans later, after Ireland beat Estonia in the football.....aarrrrrrrrggggghhhh metal attack!!!
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Class mix, listening to it again this morning. Although that piano bit in 'Offrande Charmelle' sounds like the intro music to Darkplace
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Heavy Load are scrumptious, and I must give Blind Guardian another chance now that I like real metal (my first contact was at the tender age of twelve, when Kurt Cobain's guitar technique still left me in awe). Other than that, only the Manilla Road track did something for me, in the sense that I'm going to dig up a few more albums of theirs.

Meh. I know that once Brocas Helm click with me, I won't understand what kept me from "getting" it. As of now, though...

TREEDIT: Ah, I assumed Blind Guardian were the last. This Black Knight band are great, but I read that they had a female vocalist for the majority of their stuff?
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Last edited by we_built_a_tree at Nov 13, 2011,
With Cambyses gone, you could either take his spot, or everyone else gets bumped up a week and you get the 16th.

...would you love me?
Why are we assuming Cambyses isn't doing his?
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Camby just barely ever posts around here anymore so I doubt he's gonna do his, but you never know. I'm fine with doing it a week early or at the time it is right now, either way is whatever
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Well, I wouldn't have guessed that he'd come back... someone needs to nudge him so he remembers to do this.

...would you love me?
I'm not a power/trad metal fan but

Schedule:
November 18 - Cambyses
November 25 - romencer17
December 2 - Senor Kristian
December 9 - Annihislater
December 16 - illuminatiano
December 23- Riffmast
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

so looks like Camby probably doesn't know it's his turn, should I just make one tomorrow?

Sumdeus
If you don't want to, i have a spare one i made yesterday. It's short and quite good imo.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

well it's not that i don't want ot go early, doesn't really make a difference to me. more a matter of should i just go or should we see if camby turns up

Sumdeus
He's been posting on the forum for the last couple of days. Shouldn't we at least wait until saturday before jumping in?

EDIT: Also this:
Quote by Riffmast
I'm not a power/trad metal fan but

I don't know... Epic in the sense of the word that applies to this music just doesn't appeal to me. Some songs were good but overall I just couldn't keep myself engaged, sorry.

That live Blind Guardian song sounds amazing though.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Last edited by Senor Kristian at Nov 17, 2011,
looks like you guys won't be too excited about my mix either then hehe

Sumdeus