Been scoping out UG for years. I've finally decided to join, not that I've decided to get even more serious about guitar. I'm having difficulty (understatement) deciding on my first electric guitar. I've owned electrics in the past, but I was never serious enough to play them, so I consider this decision to be my first true electric guitar purchase.

I've been wracking my brain for the past week or so trying to decide on a new axe. This is probably the hardest decision of my life.. Why does it have to be this way? Anyway, I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to a few models at differing price ranges. Floyd Rose is OUT. I'd love a trem, but not FR style.

I'd really like to dabble in metal and hard rock. I'd like some decent cleans as well.

At the low end, I've been looking at the Ibanez RG321 and RG471. At 300 and 400, respectively, they are obviously affordable. The double humbucker design is nice and simple and basic, but the 471 throws a single coil into the mix, which seems like a nice versatility boost. However, I'd want to change the pickups to Seymour Duncan JB and perhaps Jazz/59. That being said, I'm looking at about $500 to $600, including upgrades. Unfortunately, these are fixed bridge models... not as versatile. Also, Ibanez doesn't put much into their finishes. The cheapest 321 is a Mahogany body with an oil finish, and the 471 is a natural Alder finish. Their paint finishes leave something to be desired at this low of a price point. Mahogany (321), Ash (471).

At the next level, I'm thinking Mexican Strat, HSS, later converting to HSH. I hear people say Strats can't do metal, but I think it all comes down to pickups. With a JB at the bridge, I don't see it being an issue. I've owned Strats before and enjoy their necks. I would want to upgrade the pickups and throw some locking tuners on this one, bringing me to around $700 - $750. On the downside, we're looking at a 22 fret neck vs. 24 on the other models. Alder body.

Last, but certainly not least, I've been looking at the Schecter Hellraiser C-1. No trem, but nice active pickups with push/pull tones. It seems to be the most versatile, but also the most expensive, comparing base models. Considering I wouldn't have to upgrade this guitar at all, it seems like a good choice. We're talking $750, but no trem. Mahogany body.

Obviously, I could hot rod an Ibanez or a Strat, but would you guys recommend that, or just going all out with my budget and going with the Schecter?

Honestly, I can't make a decision, and I know you guys won't be able to decide for me, but some opinions would really be nice.

Thanks for your time.
I'd recommend going for the Schecter Hellraiser because the price isn't that much higher, and you'll be happier in the long run. Also, the push/pull tones are quite versatile.

So get the Hellraiser. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
strats cant do metal? i just bought a fender blacktop strat - HH with a maple neck and fretboard. its amazing and has great cleans because of the coils in the pups. id reccomend it so much! it retails at £450. my fault with it was no locking tuners. but youd be sorted!
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
We need more information, like what styles/bands that you play. Also what your current gear is thank you
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
Quote by oxymoronicman
I'd recommend going for the Schecter Hellraiser because the price isn't that much higher, and you'll be happier in the long run. Also, the push/pull tones are quite versatile.

So get the Hellraiser. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for that advice. I love that guitar, and it's definitely being heavily considered. The push/pull tones are really driving the desire.
step 1: go to shop
step 2: find sales person
step 3: explain to salesperson what you want
step 4: play every damn guitar the salesperson suggests through an amp just like yours
step 5: repeat at every shop you can drive to
step 6: buy the best guitar based on steps 1-5
Quote by rhino1957
We need more information, like what styles/bands that you play. Also what your current gear is thank you

Bands I'd like to cover: Metallica, Thrice, Coheed and Cambria, Tool, NIN. I've discovered that I'm somewhat of a metal head, but I'd also like to be able to get some nice Rush style solos. I'd love to cover a Steve Vai solo.

I'm also in the market for an amp. I'm looking at a Roland Cube 40XL or 80XL, or a Fender Mustang II or III.
Quote by krehzeekid
step 1: go to shop
step 2: find sales person
step 3: explain to salesperson what you want
step 4: play every damn guitar the salesperson suggests through an amp just like yours
step 5: repeat at every shop you can drive to
step 6: buy the best guitar based on steps 1-5

I guess therein lies the issue. I only have a couple shops nearby, and their selection is 90% Gibson/Epiphone. Not my cup O tea.
Quote by leigh596
strats cant do metal? i just bought a fender blacktop strat - HH with a maple neck and fretboard. its amazing and has great cleans because of the coils in the pups. id reccomend it so much! it retails at £450. my fault with it was no locking tuners. but youd be sorted!

This is definitely an option, but I'm wanting some single coil sounds too.. interesting.
if your in the usa my man u can definately look up agile guitars at rondomusic.com. great quality guitars for a bit under your budget. great les paul copies
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I would recommend the RG 321 or 471. They are great guitars, but yes will require new pickups. That being said, I have a friend who owns an RG321 and they are fantastic guitars. I am buying a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 soon though. I've played one and they are great guitars too. The upside is you wouldn't have to upgrade, and maybe that red cherry finish if you're into that. Keep in mind Schecter necks are a bit thicker than Ibanez necks. The Hellraiser is probably a bit better though, especially seeing as a Mahogany body is far superior to a basswood body (in my opinion).
Get either, depending on how much you're willing to spend.
Quote by twxj97
I guess therein lies the issue. I only have a couple shops nearby, and their selection is 90% Gibson/Epiphone. Not my cup O tea.

that sucks.