I know the whammy bar is supposed to be able to spin 360 degrees around the pivot, but when I actually use it it seems to be a little bit loose, as in the hole that you put the whammy bar in isn't tight enough.

Here is a video of the whammy bar and the tremolo (I have a Floyd Rose tremolo on an Ibanez, and my whammy bar is the one that came with it. It seems that it is unable to be screwed into the tremolo, since there is no corkscrew design at the end of the whammy bar, so I just push the whammy bar into the hole rather than twist it.):

http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l558/chenryy/?action=view&current=VID00644.mp4

Here is a video of me showing how loose the whammy bar is even when it is pushed into the tremolo system all the way:

http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l558/chenryy/?action=view&current=VID00645.mp4

Is this supposed to happen or is there something wrong with my tremolo?
Quote by Chenryy
when I actually use it it seems to be a little bit loose, as in the hole that you put the whammy bar in isn't tight enough.

That's a common problem among couples. Talk to your partner, and see if she is willing to do some kegels. After a few weeks of working out, she should be much tighter and you will have a much more pleasurable experience.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
I used PTFE tape on an old guitar to tighten it up, worked fine.

EDIT
I have an Ibanez with a similar setup. I used a pipe cutter to remove the bottom 7.5mm or so and taped (see above) the end so it would sit lower and fit tighter.
Grammar Nazi.
Last edited by kerrang at Nov 11, 2011,
Quote by kerrang
I used PTFE tape on an old guitar to tighten it up, worked fine.

+1 I've wrapped bars with tape like this and it works fine...jsut jam something in there to tighten it up; that's the general idea. A shim of a toothpick, some tinfoil, whatever floats your boat.
Quote by Chenryy
I know the whammy bar is supposed to be able to spin 360 degrees around the pivot, but when I actually use it it seems to be a little bit loose, as in the hole that you put the whammy bar in isn't tight enough.

Here is a video of the whammy bar and the tremolo (I have a Floyd Rose tremolo on an Ibanez, and my whammy bar is the one that came with it. It seems that it is unable to be screwed into the tremolo, since there is no corkscrew design at the end of the whammy bar, so I just push the whammy bar into the hole rather than twist it.):

http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l558/chenryy/?action=view&current=VID00644.mp4

Here is a video of me showing how loose the whammy bar is even when it is pushed into the tremolo system all the way:

http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l558/chenryy/?action=view&current=VID00645.mp4

Is this supposed to happen or is there something wrong with my tremolo?

some have a tightening screw hidden on the bottom side or in the back of the bridge.

sometimes it's accessible/ visible. when you press the trem.
sometimes if you remove the back cover.

if there's no lock then yes, use plumbers tape for a more snug fit.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by wyldething
That's a common problem among couples. Talk to your partner, and see if she is willing to do some kegels. After a few weeks of working out, she should be much tighter and you will have a much more pleasurable experience.

"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
a lot of strat trems have a little spring in the slot that you screw the bar into which holds it tight once you screw it in far enough, enabling it to rotate freely but also stay exactly where you left it. loads of people lose these springs before they are even aware that it ever had one. not sure if that applies to floyd rose style trems though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.