I've been wanting a nice strat ever since I started playing guitar, even when I got my PRS. I've upgraded my Squier to a small degree but now I have a small bit of money and I want to do something significant.

My plan was to buy a new bridge and block, new electronics, custom shop pickups and a MIM neck. All of which would run about $500. Basically only the guard and body would still be Squier. I realize this would "kill the value" but I don't care. Even whole used strats aren't that valuable and it's something I would keep.

While I was discussing this with my friend, he suggested that I simply buy a MIM Fender. Do any of you see any advantage to this? I could see having a guitar that was made as one piece potentially being an advantage...But the pickups wouldn't be as nice.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
You might as well just buy it new. It would probably be cheaper and you wouldn't have to put all that work into it.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Quote by thrashdeth
You might as well just buy it new. It would probably be cheaper and you wouldn't have to put all that work into it.

Prices are the same and I don't mind the work, I like it infact. Looking for something not price/value/labor related.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Prices are the same and I don't mind the work, I like it infact. Looking for something not price/value/labor related.

Well apart from those its basically down to do you think you can do a good enough job on it that it wont be of inferior build quality to a mim strat, or at least not greatly inferior
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
you could buy a used MIM and just change a couple of things like the pickups and call it good. seems like if you have to do that much customizing to a guitar that that should be a clear signal that a different one is needed.
Oh. Well if you don't mind the work then I would rebuild the Squier. If you like the work, then do it.
Quote by Diamond Dave

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
buy a used mim and upgrade the pickups.

as much as squires aren't bad, im simply not convinced that putting $500 into one is a good idea at all. i figure that once you're looking at spending more than the guitar is worth on upgrades, you're doing something wrong
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I've been wanting a nice strat ever since I started playing guitar, even when I got my PRS. I've upgraded my Squier to a small degree but now I have a small bit of money and I want to do something significant.

My plan was to buy a new bridge and block, new electronics, custom shop pickups and a MIM neck. All of which would run about $500. Basically only the guard and body would still be Squier. I realize this would "kill the value" but I don't care. Even whole used strats aren't that valuable and it's something I would keep.

While I was discussing this with my friend, he suggested that I simply buy a MIM Fender. Do any of you see any advantage to this? I could see having a guitar that was made as one piece potentially being an advantage...But the pickups wouldn't be as nice.

Quote by Artemis Entreri

Quote by Artemis Entreri
My plan was to buy a new bridge and block, new electronics, custom shop pickups and a MIM neck. All of which would run about $500.

Quote by Artemis Entreri
All of which would run about $500.

$500 on a Squier?? I missed that part. Just buy a used MIM for less than that.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Quote by Spud Spudly
You're going to wind up with something like this, which is going for $250 on CL:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/2693291814.html

That's what he's going to end up with if he upgrades the Squier, but for half the price.
Quote by Diamond Dave

The only time I ever upgraded my Squier was with parts left over from other guitars I've upgraded. They aren't worth putting money into. Even if you change the neck the body still sucks. Just buy a MIM Fender and later on you can upgrade that. They are a perfect platform for mods.
Gear:
Ibanez SRX-365
MIM Fender Jazz Bass
Yamaha B50-115ii
Boss CS-3
Quote by thrashdeth
$500 on a Squier?? I missed that part. Just buy a used MIM for less than that.

Buying used isn't that much of an option. It becomes less of 500 on a squier and more of 500 on a partsocaser. The only part which would still be squier would be the body (2 piece alder, I sanded and refinished.) Pickups and electronics would be usa, bridge GFS with a brass block, neck MIM. I think it would cost more to go MIM, upgrade to USA pickups and electronics and hardware. Would it work better if I phrased it this way: I'm going to put USA pickups and electronics on a squier body with a mexican neck and GFS hardware.

And I truly don't care about resale value. I'm not going to sell it. Even if I go and straight buy an MIM, I'm not going to sell my Squier, I'm going to keep toying with it.

If all the comments are about value then I'm just going to do it. If anyone has any serious qualms about quality, I'd like to hear them. Like, is a MIM body truly going to be that much better than my 2 piece Squier? I'm really curious about that. It'll cost me more to go the MIM route but if the quality will be significantly better on the body I might at the added convenience of not having to fit a neck.

EDIT:

I'm going to go to Guitar Center (bleh) tomorrow and play every strat they have there for 500 or under and if I can find I really like I'll grab it. I'll A/B my custom squier and the MIM through a DRRI and we'll see. Maybe the MIM will just be better. I just have trouble believing it. Wood is wood.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Nov 11, 2011,
personally i would get the MIM strat but keep your squire for a project some other time.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.