Im about 9 months into guitar so bare with me!

Do they exist? im sure they do but havnt found anything online about them.

Please help!
Quote by Jmccorkle1222
Im about 9 months into guitar so bare with me!

Do they exist? im sure they do but havnt found anything online about them.

Please help!

Please explain more on what you mean. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as those. Maybe you are thinking of modes?
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
I think you are thinking of scales including seventh chords?
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Minor 7th and Major 7th are just intervals, not the scales themselves. For example, a natural minor scale contains a minor 7th, while a major scale contains a major 7th. A harmonic minor scale however contains a major 7th.

Edit: are you looking for a certain sound?
Well my fav band the isley brothers play alot of major and minor 7th chords. I was wondering if there was a major and minor 7th scale i could play with them in the back ground. sorry for explaining bad

Ps: also the blues scale is working good, but i feel it can get better when it comes to note selection, thats why i thought about the 7th scale possibility
Last edited by Jmccorkle1222 at Nov 11, 2011,
If the chord is in key, unless I'm mistaken, the seventh of the chord will be in key.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by Jmccorkle1222
Well my fav band the isley brothers play alot of major and minor 7th chords. I was wondering if there was a major and minor 7th scale i could play with them in the back ground. sorry for explaining bad

Ps: also the blues scale is working good, but i feel it can get better when it comes to note selection, thats why i thought about the 7th scale possibility

A major or minor chord is made up of the notes from the major or minor scale of that chord's root.

Let's say a chord comes along and it is Amaj7
The notes of the A major scale are:
A B C# D E F# G# A

The notes of the Amaj7 chord are what I bolded - the 1, 3, 5, and 7th notes of the A major scale. So A, C#, E, G#.

Let's say another chord comes along and it is Amin7.
The notes of the A minor scale are:
A B C D E F G A

The notes of the Amin7 chord are what I bolded - the 1, 3, 5, and 7th notes of the A minor scale. So A, C, E, G.

Learn your major and minor scales...

Edit:
Contrast this to a regular A in which you only play the 1, 3, and 5th notes of the A major scale. The number 7 in Amaj7 just denotes that you should also play the 7th note of the A major scale in the chord (G#)
Last edited by stratdax at Nov 11, 2011,
Thanks alot everyone , i understand it better! Stratdax thanks for what you have said! I just hope i can meet you all in real life so we can make real music!

Ps: why are other notes left out???? like the 2nd and the 4th of the scale?
Last edited by Jmccorkle1222 at Nov 11, 2011,
Quote by Jmccorkle1222

Tertian harmony. When building chords, you stack 3rds. However when you reach the 7th degree, continue stacking 3rds and you will encounter chord tensions such as 9, 11, and 13. This happens when you extend a scale in to two octaves.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 11, 2011,
Quote by Jmccorkle1222
Thanks alot everyone , i understand it better! Stratdax thanks for what you have said! I just hope i can meet you all in real life so we can make real music!

As MDC said, you stack thirds. The 2nd and 4th don't establish as much tonality as the 3rd (which determines if the chord is major or minor (ie, the A chord is A, C#, E, and the Am chord is A, C, E)) and the 5th (which is known as the dominant). You CAN have chords with the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 9th, 11th, etc, but those have different names, such as add4, sus2, maj13, et cetera, depending on what notes they want you to play.

Also keep in mind, because guitarists only have 6 strings and 4 fingers to work with, we can't play the full voicing of those chords like piano players can, who have 10 fingers to work with.
Last edited by stratdax at Nov 12, 2011,