This was my first test:
http://soundcloud.com/galactic-pegasus-2/volumes-columbian-faction

But I didn't really like the fact that the guitars were so pumpy, so I made this one:
http://soundcloud.com/galactic-pegasus-2/depths-usg-ishimura-ozone-5

What do you think? I think it made a huge difference in the sound quality and all I did was throw it on the master bus and add the CD general purpose preset

Advice?
You have a tiny bit pumping issues and the mix is very very muddy. I am not liking the midrange at all.

The guitar tone is very meh as well.

You need to get a good mix before you can master it (or through a plugin on and say its master in this case). The thing with limiting is it brings outs everything in the mix (or just ruins it).
Last edited by FireHawk at Nov 11, 2011,
^Agreed.

The hi-hat is really harsh sounding, as well. The snare is pretty buried in the mix for most of it and the kick is way too clicky. The crash cymbals sound really fake and the mid range has a weird feel to it - Sounds kinda like an Axe-FX to me? The mix seems to be lacking bass as well, though I don't know where my mixing headphones went, so I can't really evaluate the lowend below 60hz right now, the mix sounds pretty thin through my monitors.

You really need to spend more time on the actual mixing before you start playing around with "mastering."
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The guitar tone is actually POD Farm, but the cab is muted and then I used MixIR with a mesa rectifier impulse (I wish it was Axe-Fx haha). As for the drums sounding fake, it's all superior Drummer's default avatar kit with some eqing done.
I wouldn't bother with any of the ozone presets.

With a balanced mix all you really need is the eq and volume maximizer. The multiband exciter can be nice but easy to overuse.

With the EQ I just put a final HPF at like 30hz, sometimes a tiny boost, maybe 0.3db at 3k to bring everything forward a bit and sometimes a little boost again or shelf at 7-8k to add some 'sheen'. And then I use the clipper/limiter with a -0.3 ceiling and adjust the threshold appropriately. It's really, really easy to suck all the life out of a mix with Ozone so be careful!
Let's party.
Quote by Odirunn
I wouldn't bother with any of the ozone presets.

With a balanced mix all you really need is the eq and volume maximizer. The multiband exciter can be nice but easy to overuse.

With the EQ I just put a final HPF at like 30hz, sometimes a tiny boost, maybe 0.3db at 3k to bring everything forward a bit and sometimes a little boost again or shelf at 7-8k to add some 'sheen'. And then I use the clipper/limiter with a -0.3 ceiling and adjust the threshold appropriately. It's really, really easy to suck all the life out of a mix with Ozone so be careful!

Everything about this post is right. Ozone is meant to touch up not completely change a song and a lot of people don't realize that.
Quote by androidkaita
The guitar tone is actually POD Farm, but the cab is muted and then I used MixIR with a mesa rectifier impulse (I wish it was Axe-Fx haha). As for the drums sounding fake, it's all superior Drummer's default avatar kit with some eqing done.

I'd definitely say, keep working on your mixing and tones then. POD Farm and S2.0 are both possible of much better tones than that, if you know what you're doing with them
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
New test:

http://soundcloud.com/galactic-pegasus-2/whitechapel-possession-partial

Tried some of your guys' advice. Didn't change the guitar tones yet, but eq'd and mixed the bass guitar a lot differently, and used new bass drops, also changed the compression ratio to 2:1 instead of 3.2:1
Quote by androidkaita
New test:

http://soundcloud.com/galactic-pegasus-2/whitechapel-possession-partial

Tried some of your guys' advice. Didn't change the guitar tones yet, but eq'd and mixed the bass guitar a lot differently, and used new bass drops, also changed the compression ratio to 2:1 instead of 3.2:1

I don't mean to sound mean, but the song is nearly unlistenable to me because of the drums and guitar tone. I'd really like to know what you're doing to the drums, because I feel like you'd get better results with the default settings in S2.0 than what you're currently using. The guitars are extremely thin and digital sounding - What models are you using in POD Farm??? Your first mix was much better guitar tone wise.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I call BS on this one guys. Sorry, but if you actually did that first mix, no way you think that this last one here is acceptable. Not trying to be a jerk, but you obviously at least have an idea of what you're doing, what went wrong here?

trolololololol?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
THe only thing that I did differently in this last mix than the first two was changed the bass tone... the guitar tones are exactly the same, levels are all the same, drum preset is the same, recorded on the same equipment, etc etc

Pod farm I am using the Big Bottom amp model, the cabinet is muted, and it's going thru mixIR2 with a MesaRectifierV30s-SM57-Cap-0.5in impulse. All guitars are using this tone. They then go thru CLA Guitar (Waves) and then reaEQ.

Bass is POD Farm (Big Bottom again) then thru CLA Bass, ReaEQ, ReaComp

Here, I re-uploaded it with the bass tone changed back to what it was in the first test, idk if that made a difference, and also saved as wav instead of mp3

http://soundcloud.com/galactic-pegasus-2/possession-2
Last edited by androidkaita at Nov 13, 2011,
I think you're just over processing everything, honestly.

I've never really liked the CLA plugs, most of the audio clips I've heard using them all sound really brittle to me. But if you do you use them, you really don't need to use a comp after as I'm pretty sure every one of of his sig plugins has multiple compressors in the chain already. Also, assuming you're doing mostly cuts with your EQ, try putting it in your chain before the compressors that way the frequencies you don't want don't end up getting compressed louder when you're going to be trying to get rid of them anyway.

I think you're slamming the master too hard too still, as well. The difference in volumes when different parts are playing are pretty drastic; make sure you're clipping your kick and snare for more headroom.
Let's party.
Last edited by Odirunn at Nov 13, 2011,
Ok, I took the CLA off of the guitars and you were right, the guitars sound a lot less digital now. Took CLA off of the bass as well, so now it is just POD Farm, Eq, Comp.

As for slamming the master track, I'm not too sure how not to do that. Do you mean just adjusting my levels and such? And for the clipping kick and snare, again not really sure how to do that haha... Sorry for being such a noob, but I really appreciate your advice man.

Here's the latest one with the changes I mentioned above:
http://soundcloud.com/galactic-pegasus-2/possession-2

Slightly better? Worse?
Last edited by androidkaita at Nov 13, 2011,
The master isn't pumping as bad, which is an improvement.

I'd also work on the bass tone a bit, having a tone so similar to the guitar kinda muddies things up to my ear. Maybe try a bit of a medium-wide cut around 200hz and a pretty big cut around 600hz to clear the mids out of the bass and then a boost around 4k to accent the high grit so it stands out a bit more without adding a fuzzy mud to the whole thing.
Let's party.
I can't listen at the moment, but have you considered just going DI with the bass and adding compression and eq? You can get some great bass tones without amp and cab.