hey dudes, if any of you have checked out my other threads by now, than you prob know that ill be putting emgs in my gibson pretty soon. My question is this though, i read somewhere recently that you can have yoyur guitar run on two 9 volts instead of 1, and that some metal guitarists have credited the extra battery to offer a different sound than if you had just one battery in there. Obviously, my first thought was, more output, sooo, more gain, but they said that the overall sound in general just comes offf fresher, and with more dynamics that shine through. Emgs are designed to handle 27 volts, so, im sure i could get away with it by putting two batteries in, i just wanna know if you guys would recommend it. Whadda you guys think? Should i have two batteries installed instead of one? I mean, if i didnt like the sound with two, i could just take the other one out and have it run on one. But i think that doing this might offer me some more options when it comes to versatility. But thats just my assumption. Your input would be most appreciated. Thanks!!! \m/
Last edited by DeathShredder23 at Nov 11, 2011,
Quote by guitarhero_05
I would not put EMG's in a les paul.

Some where in the world Zakk Wylde just became disappointed and does not know why.

Its called the 18volt mod. Its pretty common and everyone who does it swears by it being a must do mod for EMG's. I honestly do not know many metal players with EMG's that havnt done this mod yet.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Nov 11, 2011,
If you haven't bought the pickups yet, get EMG X's. They're basically redesigned EMG's, based on the 18V mod, but better. They sound more "organic" and natural.

I say go with the Xs because it will probably be very difficult/impossible to fit two 9 Volt batteries in the compartment of a Gibson.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
There's an entire thread devoted to this, and all the wiring diagrams you could ask for, including reversable and switchable 18v mods so you can literally hear the difference with the flip of a switch right here in the GB&C forum.

That link should pretty much end this thread.

EDIT - I do this mod to all my EMG equiped guitars and would highly recommend it; lends a much more natural disposition to otherwise sterile sounding actives.
Last edited by lumberjack at Nov 11, 2011,
Rather than doing the 18v mod which means creating space for two batteries, just use EMG X pickups. They're EMGs that use an updated preamp so they sound like they have the 18v mod even when they're only running with one battery. In fact they actually have even more headroom than EMGs on the 18v mod.

Since EMG Xs were made there's no point doing the 18v mod unless you put the second battery on a switch so you can flick between 9v and 18v for the two different sounds in one guitar. But personally I think that's a bit of a waste.
thanks guys, im considering getting the emg x's. But will they be good for me? cause i play lots and lots of metal. I want decent cleans, but i really want bone crunching high gain cutting, piercing tone. Will they do the job better than the original emgs? And when people describe the original emg compressed sound, do they mean that its bassy/crunchy?
You can always get a normal EMG in the bridge, and an EMG X in the neck for your cleans. Best of both worlds.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You could also look into the hetfield signature EMG's. They sound 10x better than regular EMG's imo.
Yea, im gonna look into the hetfield set, as i am a HUGE metallica fan. hahah. i actuallly have an 81 pickup, but all i have is the pickup, and the battery clip. If i bring it to a guitar center, am i gonna need to buy more shit, or do you think the tech with have all, if not most of that stuff already???