So, I've personally never been a fan of 'proper' technique. I've always just thought that if it works for you.... Although I won't go into that.

Anyway. I come with a question.

I recently found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYX7npixFqo The guy is now possibly one of my favourite guitarists.

What do you think of his technique? Good? Bad? Additional comments?

Cheers.
RIP Tom Searle.
1. That is rather cool.
2. Good technique. listen to how clean he is, and also notice how he doesn't **** up on massive string skips when playing at speed. That shit's hard. If someone tol me that a guitarist like that didn't work on and care about proper technique I would probably laugh.

EDIT: however, keep in mind that "proper" technique is any technique which works for you without any problems.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY
Last edited by Banjocal at Nov 11, 2011,
I was expecting something soooo much different...But I don't see much of a problem in his technique.

I agree with you; there's not really one way to do something on guitar. Everyone has their own technique and style of doing things, from fretting notes to holding the pick, etc. Hell, look at Marty Friedman...He's an incredible musician, and he holds his pick in the weirdest way o.o
He looks relaxed in his playing, and that's what matters.

As long as you play relaxed and what is natural for you you'll be fine.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
His technique is actually very good. i only see a few spots where his pinky curls up, comes off really far, etc., but hes got the position, posture, and right hand technique perfect. also, hsi thumb only comes over the fretboard once. thats the main problem metal guitarists have. of course you could play fast and maybe even clean like that, but its so much easier(just not at first) to keep the thumb in the middle of the guitar neck.
Quote by ciano16
His technique is actually very good. i only see a few spots where his pinky curls up, comes off really far, etc., but hes got the position, posture, and right hand technique perfect. also, hsi thumb only comes over the fretboard once. thats the main problem metal guitarists have. of course you could play fast and maybe even clean like that, but its so much easier(just not at first) to keep the thumb in the middle of the guitar neck.

Actually I find most metal guitarists keep their thumb behind the neck, unless their strap is very low.

Thanks for sharing that video, I found it genuinely interesting to listen to; I find a lot of instrumental stuff quite uninteresting to listen to for prolonged periods of time but I think I could happily listen to that for a while.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by llBlackenedll
Actually I find most metal guitarists keep their thumb behind the neck, unless their strap is very low..

well i meant that the non-professional metal guitarists do that. like the ones in high school and college who want to be professional. im not professional, but i can play fast all day. so when they ask me how to do it, i just tell them to get a metronome, go super slow, and keep the thumb in the middle. now, since i dont play as much, many of them are better than me lol
For some reason after watching this guy I suddenly got one of those zen moments when you can suddenly play faster, cleaner, and stay just as relaxed.

I like those moments.

Now to go play Skyrim.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)