Currently, I own an Acoustic Guitar (Fender DG10CE), Electric Guitar (Washburn RX40) and Guitalele (Yamaha GL-1). The Fender was a gift given years ago while I just recently purchase the Washburn and Yamaha Guitalele. I also "borrowed" a Fender Princeton Chorus amp that my sister forgot she owned

Yea... it seems a bit odd for a novice to own three guitars... but the electric guitars always interested me and the portability/price of the guitalele made for an ideal instrument to carry around (I do EMS... so I do have a lot of time to practice away from home).

That being said, [how much wiggle room do I have for placing different gauges (light/medium/heavy) on these instruments? I know not to place steel strings on a nylon instrument... but I keep reading that placing different gauges (Whether electric steel, acoustic steel, or acoustic nylon) can damage the instrument over time... and that all instruments are set for a specific tension.

I already changed my Guitalele strings to Pro-Arte Classical Guitar Normal Tension and plan on purchasing Elixer Nanoweb Medium accoustic strings for my Fender and Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings for my Washburn. Is this a good set up?

Finally, my Fender doesn't work when I plug it into the amp. I am assuming that the capacitor/battery with the pickup has discharged. How do I change it? How often do those capacitors/batteries last? Does my electric guitar have one?

Sorry if my questions seem stupid... I am all very new to this. Hopefully my gear is adequate for a beginner and not total crap. I most plan to learn by buying song books (if you have some recommendations, please post) and also with rocksmith... because people keep saying good things about that.

Thanks!
Yes different gauges can damage a guitar I guess, but they would have to be fairly extreme changes in gauges, so those gauges sound just fine for the guitars

The fender guitar should have some electronic panel on it somewhere, and next to it should have some sort of battery compartment? You simply take the compartment out, and put in a new 9v battery/
Your electric doesn't have one, and it should last a long time unless you constantly leave it on (I've changed mine 4 times in the last 2 years)
And I can't recommend any books I'm sorry, but the best thing you could do would be to get a guitar teacher, so you don't develop any bad habits.
acoustics are harder to set up when you swap gauges.

because they rarely have an adjustable bridge.

also, on an acoustic-electric, you'll want to remove the guitar cable after use,
or you will drain the battery overnight.

like said, the side of the guitar where the volume is, should be a door for a 9v.

gauges dont break guitars (maybe widen nut cuts, or lift trem bridges out of balance)
they just make them harder to set up buzz free.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The fender has a panel with a volume/tone panel but it doesn't look like any batteries go into it. There are 4 screws around it, but when looking inside the guitar, the screws are going directly into the wood holding the entire panel up. Plus, the device looks like two rectangular blocks... not enough room for a 9v battery. On the panel, it says "Convertible-II."

Secondly, I am not sure what you said about the electric guitar. What did you need to change if the guitar doesn't have a capacitor/battery?
Quote by BaBang
The fender has a panel with a volume/tone panel but it doesn't look like any batteries go into it. There are 4 screws around it, but when looking inside the guitar, the screws are going directly into the wood holding the entire panel up. Plus, the device looks like two rectangular blocks... not enough room for a 9v battery. On the panel, it says "Convertible-II."

Secondly, I am not sure what you said about the electric guitar. What did you need to change if the guitar doesn't have a capacitor/battery?

there should be some sort of clip on the upper half of the panel as you look at it?
If not then we'll need some pictures...

And you don't change anything in that guitar, you just plug it into the amp and rock out
If there were active pickups in there then it would require changing, but not with those
Quote by BaBang

you dont change anything if it doesnt have active pickups.

most electric guitars Dont.

as for the acoustic, the battery compartment is most likely there at the volume and you dont see it, OR it's in the sound hole?

but it needs to be a pop out compartment or similar.

let me look up your model...

edit: no pictures yet, is there a hinge on the volume panel, that would flip it open?

edit edit: i cant find a pic of your guitar from the side.
so maybe if you can take a pic of the panel, or use a flashlight to follow the jack wires back to the panel on the inside, you;ll see the battery/compartment in there.

and how to access it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 11, 2011,
Here are so photos of the guitar.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/64/img0008oh.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/502/img0006jm.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/233/img0004tl.jpg/

When I loosen the wires, I couldn't feel any battery-pack inside. Obviously, the thing behind the panel does not contain a 9V battery.

I also plugged the guitar back into the amp. When the volume is on max (On the guitar), the amp makes a buzzing sound. When I turn the volume to the bottom, the amp is silent. This is without touching the amp... so it is picking up something (though playing the guitar does nothing).
yeah don't loosen any wires.

if the battery isnt there. then is it at the jack end?
are there wires coming from the jack end leading to a battery?

yeah i mean, unless the wires to the jack are ripped off and that's
causing the guitar to stop working, i would assume it's a dead battery.

it might just be a passive (no battery) pickup.

but i dont have it in front of me to see the issue.

so send fender an email, and ask them...
consumerrelations@fender.com

edit:
if there's no battery then i guess, you might just have loose wires,
that would need soldering.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 11, 2011,
ok but look up your model guitar, with "passive" in the search box.

because, if you dont see the battery in there, then it might not have an active pickup,
and the sound cutting out may be the result of loose wires to the output jack.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Apparently it is a passive pickup.

I am assuming most guitar shops can fix this type of issue (hopefully it won't cost that much).

Is there a reason why many acoustic-electric guitars are sold with active pickups. Is "upgrading" to a different pickup be a wise idea instead of fixing the old one? (I have no clue how much any of this will cost... so if you can give me an idea, it would be appreciated).

Thanks!
Quote by BaBang
Apparently it is a passive pickup.

I am assuming most guitar shops can fix this type of issue (hopefully it won't cost that much).

Is there a reason why many acoustic-electric guitars are sold with active pickups. Is "upgrading" to a different pickup be a wise idea instead of fixing the old one? (I have no clue how much any of this will cost... so if you can give me an idea, it would be appreciated).

Thanks!

yeah, you know, i'm not sure.
perhaps to save a little money on production.

its probably fine sounding when it works.

you can take it into the shop or try to wiggle into the sound hole
with long pliers and get the jack out after removing the outer nut,
that secures the jack to the (im guessing) hole near the bottom.

i don't have a picture of me fixing an acoustic, tho i've done this
many times when the jack spins and rips off,

but i have a pic of an electric, jack as an example...

passive jacks are all the same.

two wires to two lugs on the jack. if one rips off, the guitar wont work.
a soldering iron heats the solder and "sticks" the wire back on there.

of course, it could be one of the wires to the volume plate.

soldering should be around $20-30.

either way, you can bypass the whole thing completely,
and buy a sound hole pickup. sits in the soundhole and
you plug into it's wire to an amp.

the Duncan Woody is a good cheap example, for around $35-40.

fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7197957648036014725&sa=X&ei=xe-_TouONurk0QGu6ZHABA&ved=0CEgQ8wIwBQ">fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7197957648036014725&sa=X&ei=xe-_TouONurk0QGu6ZHABA&ved=0CEgQ8wIwBQ">http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=duncan+woody&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7197957648036014725&sa=X&ei=xe-_TouONurk0QGu6ZHABA&ved=0CEgQ8wIwBQ
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62