Page 1 of 2
i was just wondering if anyone else has found the same thing :

i love e minor a minor and d major , hate e major a major and d minor

coincidence ?

pretty pointless thread to be honest i was just curious
I like my humidor key...
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
I like every key that can be played with at least one open string.
And I can just put on capo or tune down guitar, so I don't really care.
door key mostly.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
I find that B major and D major are great keys to write music in and jam to, has to do with the different strings I can use open and the different functions of the chords
A minor, D minor, C# minor, B phrygian, E phrygian, E minor, G# minor, B minor,

I use major keys for fun jamming most of the time, the stuff I actually write I use ^
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
One day I had a song in D major and it was awesome. I transposed it up a tone to E major and it became the worst song ever.

This story is not true.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Xiaoxi!

Quote by liampje
No key in particular, although there are certain keys that you need to use if you want to accommodate certain scale degrees for particular instruments.

That said, If I was given a few keys to pick to use for the rest of my life, I would pick C major, B major, and F# major. This would also include their relative minors.
All of them? Why restrict yourself to one or two keys? Cause you like the letter "C" or something? Cause "Db" sounds so much more complicated and professional than "D"? Questions like this just confuse me.
Quote by GenericGenocide
All of them? Why restrict yourself to one or two keys? Cause you like the letter "C" or something? Cause "Db" sounds so much more complicated and professional than "D"? Questions like this just confuse me.

Bacon and sausage are equally delicious, but a lot of people strongly prefer bacon. Same concept.

People like things. Get over it.
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
Bacon and sausage are equally delicious, but a lot of people strongly prefer bacon. Same concept.

People like things. Get over it.

People can like all they want, that doesn't mean it makes logical sense why you would care more for C Major than G Major. Yeah, some people like open notes/chords more. Big whoop. Wanna play open notes in C# Major? Retune your guitar or use a capo. No key is objectively better than another. Get over it.
Quote by GenericGenocide
All of them? Why restrict yourself to one or two keys

Who said anything about "restricting yourself" to one or two keys? No one.
Quote by GenericGenocide
People can like all they want, that doesn't mean it makes logical sense why you would care more for C Major than G Major. Yeah, some people like open notes/chords more. Big whoop. Wanna play open notes in C# Major? Retune your guitar or use a capo. No key is objectively better than another. Get over it.

Who cares if it makes logical sense? Does it make "logical sense" to you that I prefer red to blue, or Dream Theater to Blink-182?

People have preferences - the fact that it seems illogical doesn't matter. "No key is objectively better than another" is irrelevant, because that's another issue that hasn't been brought up. You're just arguing for no reason.
Not trying to sound bitchy lol. Here's my point:

Say I'm sitting around a campfire playing songs. Say I choose Outside by Staind.. Or any other song to play. I can sit down and play this in standard, or I can drop down a step or two. I'll be playing in completely different keys. The sound, however, is the same with the obvious exception of one being lower than the other. You can produce any mood, any sound, etc in any key.
Quote by :-D
Who said anything about "restricting yourself" to one or two keys? No one.
Who cares if it makes logical sense? Does it make "logical sense" to you that I prefer red to blue, or Dream Theater to Blink-182?

People have preferences - the fact that it seems illogical doesn't matter. "No key is objectively better than another" is irrelevant, because that's another issue that hasn't been brought up. You're just arguing for no reason.

Having a favorite color is perfectly logical. Having a favorite style of music is perfectly logical. If the question had been "do you prefer minor or major keys?", THAT'S perfectly logical. Maybe I just don't see it the way you do. I stated my opinion, that's all it was. If anybody wants to get pissy about it, that sounds like a personal problem. Having a favorite key, to me, just doesn't make sense. Make of that what you want.
Quote by GenericGenocide
Having a favorite color is perfectly logical. Having a favorite style of music is perfectly logical. If the question had been "do you prefer minor or major keys?", THAT'S perfectly logical. Maybe I just don't see it the way you do. I stated my opinion, that's all it was. If anybody wants to get pissy about it, that sounds like a personal problem. Having a favorite key, to me, just doesn't make sense. Make of that what you want.

Sometimes there can be a reason to prefer one key over another. A singer might feel more comfortable singing in a certain key over another. A pianist might like playing in C or Am because it's easier to find the notes. For guitar, someone who doesn't have a capo might have a hard time playing certain chords (Fm barre chord anyone?).
Quote by GenericGenocide

Say I'm sitting around a campfire playing songs. Say I choose Outside by Staind.. Or any other song to play. I can sit down and play this in standard, or I can drop down a step or two. I'll be playing in completely different keys. The sound, however, is the same with the obvious exception of one being lower than the other. You can produce any mood, any sound, etc in any key.

Except altering key regardless of whether it's through tuning, capo, or fingering, changes the physical timbre and resonance of any acoustic instrument. Playing in the key of Db major on anything in the violin family will sound darker/more somber and have less resonance, where as playing in A major will have the opposite effect. Playing in Cb major on the harp will produce the most heavy sound while playing in C# major will sound fairly brittle.
I'd have to say that B minor, G major and G minor all tickle my fancy.

That being said, if I answered this tomorrow I might be feeling a little differently and that would persuade my response. I couldn't imagine life without Bmaj7!
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Hey the thread is devolving into one of "those threads". I can only hold my breath until someone claiming to have synesthesia pops up again.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I find that I tend to use G major, D major, and A minor the most. A minor is where I'm most comfortable soloing, but I do a lot of open-string embellishments off of the G, D, C, and A major chords which makes those two major keys work well.
Most guitar players, aside from jazz and some blues guitarists, prefer to play in sharp keys. A, E, G, D, B. Whether they realize it or not, they tend to gravitate towards these, more often than not because they can use open strings.

Personally? I like D major, F# major, B major, and E minor.
"There are a lot of people out there who think that I am their worst enemy, and I don't even care if these people exist."-Boyd Rice
Every other key produces other moods. Just take any melody (for elise - as an example) and transpose it to every other key. You'll see how does it work if you try.

I don't want to argue with people about the keys, I want to encourage you to try that
There is never too much of music theory
Quote by Xiaoxi
Except altering key regardless of whether it's through tuning, capo, or fingering, changes the physical timbre and resonance of any acoustic instrument. Playing in the key of Db major on anything in the violin family will sound darker/more somber and have less resonance, where as playing in A major will have the opposite effect. Playing in Cb major on the harp will produce the most heavy sound while playing in C# major will sound fairly brittle.

Your missing the big, over arching, earth shattering question here: who takes a violin camping, and use it to play staind?

Quote by liampje
Page 1 of 2