Okay so I'm getting round to upgrading my rig. Currently I run through a Roland Cube 60 and an HH studio 50 at the same time, with and a Boss MT2 for my distortion, so as you can imagine, it's a rut I'd like to get out of.

Looking for a decent tube amp, preferably head+cab for logistics (yeah I'm looking for a cab too (2x12 probably)). Being the sort of guy who likes to know he's prepared for Every situation, I'd prefer a larger wattage (60W+) with decent attenuation (e.g. a Master volume (not just channel volumes)) as opposed to a lower wattage amp that may not be loud enough every once in a while.

Genre: I spend most of my time playing various sub-genres of metal. Bands like (early) Children of Bodom, In Flames, Ensiferum, Norther, Iron Maiden, Trivium...

But also some less heavy stuff - for example got a gig coming up where I'll be playing medium to hard rock, like Velvet Revolver, GnR, Alter Bridge etc.

Budget: I can spend pretty much max £1000 in total - and as I'm in the UK, things like Mesa are not great choices, as they're mega-pricey over here. I've heard good things about the Blackstar HT-100?

I'd prefer to buy new, seeing as I like being safe in terms of warranty, at least until I've played the amp past it's teething time and have properly worked out whether I like it or not. In terms of trying stuff out, I'm within travelling distance of Colchester and Norwich - so can get to stores like PMT, Trevor Durrant and so on. I'd prefer to buy after having already tried the amp out too, though I understand the time I get in a music store isn't gonna be as helpful as I'd like it to be. Also I'm gonna need this by feb/march 2012 at the latest, so can't really afford to trawl ebay/craigslist for the next few months.

Current gear: Jackson Soloist (EMGs), Ibanez RG (passive humbuckers), USA Fender Strat (HSS). So I'm looking for something that can deal with low and high output pickups.

Other info: over the few gigging years I've had, where we've never really had time for a soundcheck beforehand and have been totally unmiced, I've grown addicted to using a volume pedal, so an FX loop is a must. Also a decent EQ and hopefully reverb as a bonus.

Also two (though preferably three) channels (including clean), and the ability to mute and output to headphones. This is because I'm limited in space at home, all other amps are gonna end up somewhere else so I'll be using this thing for practicing as well as gigging. Using a volume pedal in the FX for attenuation is a possibility, but in that case I'll be looking for the majority of my tones to come from the preamp, instead of an overdriven poweramp. Plus that's still gonna have sound coming out the speaker instead of going through headphones, which is what I'd prefer.

way, way, way tl;dr - tube amp, £1000 max, decent metal tones but also versatility, FX loop, good attenuation, headphones out/ability to mute speaker, 2 (preferably more) channels, in the UK, new.

Apologies for the text wall, any help much appreciated
Last edited by Gr!t at Nov 11, 2011,
Ah. Budget limitations kill us all man! :/ I'm thinking maybe a Mesa 2x12 cab with an Orange Dark Terror head?? Idk. If budget wasn't a constraint I'd say a Peavey 5150 with a Mesa 4x12. That's my set up and it SCREAMS
laneys would probably be worth a try- gh or vh (if you need more versatility, which it sounds like you might).

The new ironheart might be worth a try, too, but i haven't tried it yet. I'm also a bit wary as it seems to have more features etc. than the gh and vh and yet is a fair bit less expensive. But that might be me over-analysing again.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I do not know of any full tube amplifiers that give the option to use headphones.

As for what I would suggest: Hughes & Kettner Trilogy Custom. I do not know how much it costs in the UK, but it's a small 900 EUR here in Belgium.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I do not know of any full tube amplifiers that give the option to use headphones.

As for what I would suggest: Hughes & Kettner Trilogy Custom. I do not know how much it costs in the UK, but it's a small 900 EUR here in Belgium.

Peavey Vypyr is about the only one that can do metal.
Quote by I K0nijn I

I have a mesa that can take headphones.

OT: Used rockerverb or laney as dave said.
RIP Gooze

cats
Orange Dark Terror. It's only 15W, but it's still loud as shit. $700 USD for the head with taxes and then find yourself a decent 4x12 cab and shit'll sound good. It can do anything from soft rock to extreme metal, and it still sounds good at low volumes. It's an awesome sounding amp, even though it has only 1 channel.
Wow, I didn't know that. I thought I had once read that full tube amplifiers usually do not take headphones because they can break down because of it, but I don't know the exact twist of it anymore.

Anyway, I know someone who owns a HnK similar to the Trilogy and it does about everything very well. His cleans are nice and it has more gain than he'd ever need and he plays deathcore.

I don't know how much metal you can get out of an AD30, but they should be in your budget at new price, as you do not plan on buying used.
Cheers for the replies guys

Hmm, the dark terror's only one channel, I'd have to say that's a no for me also do you think I'm gonna get enough gain off it? Vids I've watched on YouTube (while nothing to set a standard by) didn't seem to have distortion for some of the heavier stuff i play :/

Peavey 5150 (I believe it's now the 6505?) hasn't got a master volume setup - scarter1192 do you find that you can get any decent sort of sound off it while playing quietly?

The laney VH100R looked pretty good, but at £985 I'm not gonna have any money left for a cab when it says 'footswichable gain', what's that in unambiguous english? You can turn the gain on or off via the footswitch while keeping all the EQ the same? Or just change the level from, say, high gain to low gain?

The Laney Ironheart looks very nice though - no master volume but I'm thinking the variable wattage allows me to sort of do this anyway? No Line-out for headphones/recording though by the looks of it If this works out though, that's an incredible price too - I'll be looking out for this one, many thanks Dave_MC.

I K0nijn I - a while ago I tried out the H+K Tubemeister 18 watt head - while it had all the features I wanted, I really didn't enjoy the tone one bit, I thought it sounded far too fizzy. Any idea if the Trilogy will have the same sort of sound? Anyway looks like it'd set me back £999 here in the UK so that's another budget constraint I'm afraid

Orange AD30 and Rockerverb look like they're too expensive as well - I'm still in need of a cab to go with the head. Thanks for the replies guys, and I hate shooting all your ideas down (believe me I wish I had more options than just the Ironheart at the moment) but yeah, I've only got so much money, and it's gotta pay for the cab too.
+1 for the Laney Ironheart, IMO it sounds great.
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
I don't know about the Tubemeister, but the Trilogy has 4 channels in total I believe and sounds nice if you like it. It can get pretty much anywhere.

Maybe the Carvin V3M?
most of those amps have master volumes- they maybe don't have an overall master volume, but as long as you have separate volume and gain controls, you can get preamp distortion at low volumes. whether it sounds any good at those volumes is another thing, lol, but yeah.

And yeah the laney prices have shot way up, unfortunately. They're not as good value as they used to be.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Carvin was a definite contender when I started looking around a while ago... the only problem is I'd have to spend several hours on a train to try one out; I phoned the distributor up a couple of months ago and the nearest place they stock it is Plymouth i think Might be a case of buy it, then send it back if I don't like it. It's expensive though :/

Yeah I get the tweaking thing for low volumes Dave - all the knobs and dials etc get a fair amount of changing between live and home playing. Even on my solid state setup, loud sounds better than quiet though!

Grr at the Laney prices, do you think they'll go second hand for much less? (I'm now vaguely considering second-hand now, seeing as everything's turning out so bloody expensive )
probably. until recently, anyway, the laney prices s/h were pretty good here in the UK.

The new prices going up will have an upward pressure on the used prices, but then the recession should have downward pressure.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?