Hi, I've rewired my strat 3 times trying to get my tone pots working. It's wired exactly like a seymour duncan wiring diagram which matches other diagrams i've seen. I've renewed my pots once, belled out for continuity on all grounds. I've tried 3 different capicitors and still no luck. The only thing that i havent replaced is the selector but that does it's job correctly.
Anyone have any ideas? Getting impatient now

Thanks
It's going to be the wiring or the wrong pots, there's not much else there to go wrong, personally I'd recheck every connection again, make sure your pots are the same as the ones in the diagram you're using too.
The diagram certainly looks fairly straight forward anyway, the thing with the pots though is that there was a guy on here recently having problems but his output from the pots was on a different tag to the ones in the seymour diagram so that's the other thing I was thinking of.
You need to understand how a tone pot works in the wiring loop. It exists separate from everything else, and then is connected to whatever you want to control. It's simple, one lug of the tone pot is empty, one is attached to a capacitor to ground, the next goes to whatever you're controlling. I you're controlling everything with it, it goes to the common lug on the switch, or the volume input. If you are controlling 1 pickup, it goes to that lug.

I used to have problems with wiring, until I learned the basic principles behind it.

Edit: I also noticed on that diagram that the 2 tone pots aren't wired the same. One has the capacitor in the middle lug, the other on the outside lug. I'd do the outside lug for both.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Nov 12, 2011,
Quote by W4RP1G
You need to understand how a tone pot works in the wiring loop. It exists separate from everything else, and then is connected to whatever you want to control. It's simple, one lug of the tone pot is empty, one is attached to a capacitor to ground, the next goes to whatever you're controlling. I you're controlling everything with it, it goes to the common lug on the switch, or the volume input. If you are controlling 1 pickup, it goes to that lug.

I used to have problems with wiring, until I learned the basic principles behind it.

Edit: I also noticed on that diagram that the 2 tone pots aren't wired the same. One has the capacitor in the middle lug, the other on the outside lug. I'd do the outside lug for both.

I pretty much understand the basics but it hasn't really helped me. All i'm really going to do is learn what not to do and then follow a clear diagram as best i can.
I'll put the wire that goes to the switch on the outside lug of the tone next time as you suggested.
What about the cap? Keep it going from outside of one pot to centre of the other?

How easy is it to burn out a cap? because admittedly i haven't used a heat sink when soldering.

I had problems with my volume pot on the most recent attempt as well, it cuts the signal completely, really early on roll off, around 8 on the dial??

I will do things abit differently next time like using a heat sink, resistor and cap on volume pot and change the wiring on the tone pots.

What sort of ohm reading would a damaged pot give?

Thanks!
I can't see you kiling the caps that easy tbh and as for the volume pot it's the wrong kind, I can't remember the proper terms for them but they usually have A or B stamped on the bottom and you want A ones for volume and B ones for tone.

It's something like logarithmic and linear I think but that's why the volume cuts out all at one end, the A type pot does it gradually.
Last edited by Twidler at Nov 12, 2011,
Quote by Twidler
I can't see you kiling the caps that easy tbh and as for the volume pot it's the wrong kind, I can't remember the proper terms for them but they usually have A or B stamped on the bottom and you want A ones for volume and B ones for tone.

It's something like logarithmic and linear I think but that's why the volume cuts out all at one end, the A type pot does it gradually.

Ah right thanks man, i mixed up the pots before the most recent rewire. I thought all the pots were the same mind, and the cap just made it a tone?! They were all off the same shelf, but i'll take a look at that.
Quote by Hammy135
Ah right thanks man, i mixed up the pots before the most recent rewire. I thought all the pots were the same mind, and the cap just made it a tone?! They were all off the same shelf, but i'll take a look at that.

Guess how I found out lol
Quote by Twidler
Guess how I found out lol

lol yeah, i'm working on trial and error with these tone pots as well. I refuse to be beaten by a bit of electronics