So I have two bands right now. One of them is a rock band I started in August with three friends and we were all so pumped to have a great time in the band. Since then we've come up with only 4 originals and some covers, and haven't had a gig.

I have another band, which is a metal band (melodeath/core/metal/what have you) that I consider really started in october, since that was when we got all of our current members and set up how we wanted things. We just had our first practice with the full band today, and have had multiple non-full band practices in the last month. We've written 4 originals (One whole song today, the other three over the course of probably 2 or three practices) and we're all in love with it, and may have some gigs soon. However, the drummer and I seem to have an issue.

The drummer and I in the metal band are both in the rock band (and our metal vocalist just joined in on bass) and we have some problems in the rock band. For one, we don't seem to be fully connecting everything, it doesn't feel as much like a true band as it does 4 guys in a garage jamming. The drummer and I feel like we're all each going in different directions and kind of flying all over the place not getting much really accomplished. In the metal band, we're all very focused on what we need to get done, and we can plow through things quickly. Secondly, the rock band isn't that musical. The singer doesn't know much, but he's learning, and the other guitarist knows enough to get by but barely more than that (he can't understand harmonies, nor a scale other than essentially G major) and the riffs feel bland, at times just some powerchords, and even though I sometimes write the simple stuff, I feel like I have to dumb down my skills so that the other members can handle the material. Everyone in the metal band knows how to do their part, we're all very musical, and we can talk about music theory and complex song structure past verse/chorus/verse/chorus.

Third, and this is a big issue: the other guitarist in the rock band seems to be being a douche. We get the impression that he is trying to downplay how seriously the drummer and I take our metal band. He's also a passive aggressive jerk to our vocalist, always saying he's happy that he's not a druggie pothead anymore (which he never was) and is an outright dick to our bassist.

When I started the metal band I wasn't sure it was going to be as important to me as the rock band. Now I can't even imagine not doing the metal band, and I've put my rock band on the backburner.

tl;dr my metal band is very important to me, moreso than my rock band, but the guitarist in the rock band is a douche to my whole metal band and tries to downplay how important it is. Also the rock band isn't as fun as I thought it'd be. What should I do?
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Kick the douche guitarist out of your rock band seems the best option to me, then go from there.
If you still care for the rock band, talk to the douche guitarist with the drummer about his attitude. If he's an arsehole, quit with your drummer and focus on your metal band full-time. If on the other hand you no longer care about the rock band, just quit with your drummer.
It's kind of hard to say right now. I'd want the rock band to go well, but I can only deal with the other guitarist so much. He acts like he's above this one place where we could get solid gigs in our town, which really annoys all of us.

I also feel bad for the singer if we quit, since he's one of my best friends. If we quit the rock band, the drummer, singer and I may form another band, somewhat different from the now rock band.

Also not that it's a huge concern but the other guitarist is one of the two who started the band, the other being the drummer.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Last edited by thePTOD at Nov 11, 2011,
It sounds like the other guitarist is holding you all back and is messing with your whole friends in a band thing. Talk to the singer and drummer about him and collectively decide what to do. I would recommend getting together and either kicking him out or all quitting and starting your own thing.
a band is supposed to be a bunch of friends sharing their love of music together and with an audience.
This guy sounds like he doesn't belong in a band, at least not yours anyway.
I would just disband the rock band, to be honest. If 3/4 of the members are also in the metal band, you'll still get to hang out with them and jam and whatnot, just without the asshole kid, and not in the band you're not enjoying anymore. Seems like a win-win to me.
Quote by thePTOD
It's kind of hard to say right now. I'd want the rock band to go well, but I can only deal with the other guitarist so much. He acts like he's above this one place where we could get solid gigs in our town, which really annoys all of us.

I also feel bad for the singer if we quit, since he's one of my best friends. If we quit the rock band, the drummer, singer and I may form another band, somewhat different from the now rock band.

Also not that it's a huge concern but the other guitarist is one of the two who started the band, the other being the drummer.

I'd just kick the other guitarist out the rock band and continue on as a 4 piece rock cover band. That way you can primarily focus on the metal band and give the rock singer some time to improve his skills. That way the cover band is just an fun little side project and a way to have fun with your singer friend who is just learning.